turboboy

Universal intercooler, the guide.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
There seems to be three sizes of universal cooler available from various suppliers.

The one used by Turboboy that works and fits well
CORE size 550 x 140 x 65
Overall width 690
Inlet & outlet 57mm ( 2.25")

The one used by FletchyFR that works and fits well
CORE size 550 x 175 x 65
Overall width 690
Inlet & outlet 57mm ( 2.25")

The as yet untested one
CORE size 550 x 220 x 65
Overall width 695
Inlet & Outlet 57mm ( 2.25")

There also seems to be two distinct qualities of product - the good one rated at 45psi and the lower quality ones rated for only 30psi.

I would suggest you select one rated for 45psi.

kenny_fr

Sep 19, 2007
Glasgow
Does anyone know off hand the correct size / length of bolts to use for mounting the new intercooler? I've got everything else on the way bar the bolts and spacers for mounting.

Cheers.

turboboy

Limp Mode Squad ™
Dec 9, 2003
hants
20-30mm I'd say pick up a selection better off having them than not. Also depends if your fitting small spacers like me

kenny_fr

Sep 19, 2007
Glasgow
OK just to confirm anyone looking to fit the toyosports intercoolers, you will need x3 M8 bolts to secure the intercooler to the frame. I picked up 25mm ones which are long enough to make the IC sit flush.

dirtyD123

Oct 25, 2013
teeside
I bought a tx autosport kit for my mk4 it's basically a universal with fittings to match. Might be worth having a look if they make one fir yours and copying dimensions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dirtyD123

Oct 25, 2013
teeside
Iv gone from standard turbo intercooler and egr I put a hybrid turbo fmic and the allard egr delete kit on. I hav not yet had it remapped And have only noticed minor improvements and quicker boost. You will need a remap to see any worthwhile improvements

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turboboy

Limp Mode Squad ™
Dec 9, 2003
hants
You don't "NEED" a map no. Having this will allow you to have the car mapped harder but that isn't what a bigger fmic is all about. Sustaining your peak bhp due to having better inlet cooling is a good thing, your power will drop off dramatically as things get hot and intercoolers no long can do their job as they have become hot lumps of metal themselves. The large cooler will take longer to heat up and obviously has a larger area for heat exchange. You will have your peak power longer, I noticed this much more in the summer

turboboy

Limp Mode Squad ™
Dec 9, 2003
hants
Dirty you will need a remap because you have changes the turbo, your intercooler will help you run the higher boost levels you will be seeing for the same reasons as above

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.