unleaded or performance unleaded

BLACKNIGHT

AS DARK AS NIGHT
Sep 15, 2008
ards
HI GUYS I DRIVE A 1.6 SPORTS COUPE IBIZA MANUAL GEAR BOX, JUST A QUICK QUESTION I FOUND MY MK5 5 IBIZA WAS DRINKING THE FUEL. SO I DECIDED TO TRY SUPER UNLEADED AND I HAVE TO BE HONEST IT SEEMS TO GO BETTER AND I AM ALSO GLAD TO SAY BETTER MILES PER TANK FULL,ANYONE ELSE FOUND THIS? [B)]:funk:

EdHorny

Loves his Boc.
Oct 12, 2008
Burntwood
Shell Optimax all the way for me mate. The difference is noticeable. Also, and I've researched this, the super will burn cleaner and is less likely to leave carbon deposits about, plus filters tend stay cleaner which means the fuel will flow through them easier.

Shell do the best performance fuel and I think their pricing isn't bad either.

ED

Dave 77

Dave ;)
Nov 13, 2009
Hertfordshire
I use BP Ultimate (i live pretty much on the doorstep of 2 BP stations) in my current car and i find it gives me a little extra mpg's (2-3) and im not sure if its just me or not but i think that car just seams a little more responsive using it. As Ed says its better for the engine to

I would prob use Shell v power but its a 20 mile round trip to the nearest shell station so... My friend uses V Power in his Mk4 FR TDI and hes found the same results.

Il be using it in my boca

Last edited:

Octane2097

Naturally Aspirated
Jan 20, 2007
South Yorkshire
i use total excellium seems to be more MPG does seem a bit more pokier too,
costs me an extra £2 for a full tank of excellium, and i get around 40-50miles extra
works out slightly cheaper in the long run too, on average 350miles per tank is about 14p a mile on regular 95ron it works out at around 16p a mile. (due to lower mpg)

i have used bp ultimate diesel in my old car, and it didnt really make much diffrence to my mpg or perfomance. suppose it depends on the car and driving style really

andyspencer

Eat My Soot
May 19, 2008
Birmingham
No brainer.. if you have a turbo and / or supercharger you really need higher octane fuel. Detonation is your engines worst nightmare and cheap std petrol is a sod for it. Its more a case of if you dont use it, you'l prob regret it down the line. Same applies for highly tuned diesels, except replace the octane with cetane :D

vtxracer

Jul 25, 2009
Greece
I heard tha BP is going to produce 102 octane fuel (not the racing fuel which is 107 octane), is this true ??

craigboca

Sep 21, 2009
Glasgow
That's true,they've actually already made it but it's only available at a select few BP garages like the one near silverstone,there's one in near Edinburgh that stocks it but since I'm in Glasgow I'll stick to my v-power for now!

vtxracer

Jul 25, 2009
Greece
I use BP ultimate 100 octane and also EKO (Greek company) which has even better fuel ! Will there be any diference with 102 octane fuel ?

JonDog

Its only worth it if you have a performance car, otherwise it's all in your head.

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Its only worth it if you have a performance car, otherwise it's all in your head.

Not so.

Not so important on the older 1.4 16v engines but certainly FSi engines really require Super Unleaded (check the fuel filler). Have had a fair few running complaints that have been attributed to lower octane rated fuel, the direct injection petrol requires really good combustion to burn properly.

Bocawata

Dec 26, 2009
Cumbria
Hi Techie, Excuse my ignorance but which cars come under the term /banner of FSi, not being in the motor business like your self I don,t know all these terms used in the motor trade.
Bocawata.

Octane2097

Naturally Aspirated
Jan 20, 2007
South Yorkshire
fsi basicly a type of petrol injection engine, that adjusts the fuel injection timing depending on how much power is required by the engine.
quite complicated how it works but the upshot is you get better mpg and a higher powerout put compared to a conventional fuel injected engine.

Bocawata

Dec 26, 2009
Cumbria
Thanks Octane,for your reply but I would like to know which cars in the Ibiza Range are FSi, as I don,t know if my Bocanegra comes under this heading!!!!
Bocawata.:shrug:

Octane2097

Naturally Aspirated
Jan 20, 2007
South Yorkshire
the boc, like the FR is TSI which is the same as the FSI only with a twin charge (hence the T)
so it should be a so its a FSI with a twincharger.

Bocawata

Dec 26, 2009
Cumbria
So we should really run the car on High Octane fuel,like Shell Optimax !!.
I want the best for this car,the only problem is we don,t have a local Shell garage only BP,what is there equivalent!!! if there is one.
Bocawata.:confused:

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Hmm not quite right but close.

VAG joined the direct injection petrol engine movement with the FSi engine. This stood for Fuel Stratisifed Injection. Basically the engine had two modes of running. Homogenous where the engine ran pretty much as any other petrol engine (except the fuel is injected into the cylinder rather than the manifold), but at certian conditions it changed into stratisfied mode, this was the ultra lean uber economy mode, flaps altered in the inlet manifold changing the air path and making the engine run lean effectively. However it was pretty much a dismal failure. It required 100+ RON fuel to work so never did and then jammed up causing problems. So the next generation came about. FSI was dropped, TSI came about.

All the charged FSi engines are now called TSi (regardless of if it has a super charger and/or turbo)

The 1.4 TSi is a 1.4 turbo, and the 1.2 TSi is a variation of that. The 1.4 Twincharger started it all off in the Golf GT and is now fitted in our cars.

Octane2097

Naturally Aspirated
Jan 20, 2007
South Yorkshire
it dosnt have to be optimax, we dont have a shell where i live so i use total excellium
aslong as its 97ron or above it will be fine.

BP do BP Ultimate, Total do Excellium, Shell do Optimax even Tescos sells high octane fuel (which is 99ron)

Bocawata

Dec 26, 2009
Cumbria
Thanks for the info ,both Techie and Octane, I will be getting 97 Ron fuel or higher from now on as the car is just about "Run In" at 900 miles and I would like to open it up in" Sport Mode"!!!
Bocawata.:D

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
It does say a min of 95 in the fuel filler flap. But if you can get higher all the better.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members