Unlocking boot

bigman75

Jul 21, 2009
Wolverhampton
Hi Ladies and Dobermans :)

This might be a strange question but it's really annoying me! :help:

I know about the door locks engaging after pulling away and hitting 10mph.

After a journey home I make my way to my good lady and pick her up from work. Now she is always laden with bags and stuff! She instinctively goes to open the boot but it won't open! [:@]

I press the inside central locking button on the centre console but that doesn't do anything.

I even press the key fob boot unlock button but that doesn't work either.

I'm then forced to turn the engine off, remove the key from the ignition and press the unlock button on the key fob! What a palaver for just wanting to bags in the boot.

Can anyone please shed some light on this. It's done this from day one btw.

Thanks for your help :)

Andy

vtxracer

Jul 25, 2009
Greece
If you open one of the doors (after you have unlocked) the boot will also unlock without having to turn off the engine. It is a safety feature.

bigman75

Jul 21, 2009
Wolverhampton
Thanks for the feedback.

To be honest I tried this earlier when I picked her up. She couldn't open the boot so I opened the door with the inside handle but the boot still wouldn't open. I then tried the centre console button but still no joy. Hence my last resort of turning engine off and using keyfob.

Thanks again matey :)

vtxracer

Jul 25, 2009
Greece
Have you tried turning off the auto-lock ? I have auto lock turned off and when i open the door it unlocks the boot, i am sure because it has happened a lot of times.
:cheers:

bigman75

Jul 21, 2009
Wolverhampton
Hmm. I've not tried that. It's a shame if I have to do that though. I like the auto lock function, it's a cool safety feature :) No numpty is gonna carjack me! :blink:

I'll have a look in my handbook again.

Thanks for yor help dude. ;)

Andy

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Its so someone doesnt open the boot and nick your stuff whilst sat at traffic lights etc.

4-candles

May 27, 2006
Kent
I have Autolock on. Doors and boot remain locked unless :
1. Remove Key from ignition, unlocks all doors & boot
2. Unlock using Center Console switch - Engine running
3. Unlock using Center Console switch - Engine off but key still in ignition

Only time I use Key Fob is outside the car. Either unlock all, or Boot release unlock (which re-locks when you close the boot).
My Altea does exactly the same.

I would take it in to be looked at, sounds wrong IMHO.

idigitize

as above, i have auto-lock on and the boot unlocks when i press the centre console unlock button. i'd say you have a fault

garethrobson

FR LOVER
Jun 10, 2009
County Durham
autolock??

sounds like a pretty cool feature to me, but my mk5 doesnt have it activated by default, so i always lock it manually when i get in.

How do you go about activating the auto lock?

I will have a look in my manual when i get home if nobody can help me before then, but i fancy having a fiddle with it before i set off :p haha

Dave217

Ibiza Mk 5 owner
Nov 2, 2009
Warrington
when you get in the car start the ignition then hold down the lock button for a few seconds you will see it flash then its set up to lock when the car starts moving

garethrobson

FR LOVER
Jun 10, 2009
County Durham
cool thanks :D

does anybody have any idea what the point is behind the remote controlable windows?

if you hold down the lock button on your key, it winds up the front windows. I can understand that maybe if you walked away from your car and forgot to put the window up you can easily put them up, but if you hold the unlock button down, they both open....why would anybody really need to use this function. Surely you wouldn't want to be opening your windows from a distance...?

Dave217

Ibiza Mk 5 owner
Nov 2, 2009
Warrington
i have used that at the petrol station when going to pay and forgetting to put my windows up, apart from that, it just makes you look cool on a hot day as your walking to your car,

i think thats the way to set the auto locking doors, i did it a few months back so i cant remember exactly how to do it, but i think its in the manual anyway

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members