Update: blown turbo Cupra 280 repaired and failed again

mbk72

Feb 21, 2015
www.youtube.com
Not good... hope they just give you another Cupra. Now you have me worrying about sounds from my car... mine makes a strange noise at start up first thing in the morning a strange whiring type fan noise that never comes back until the next morning.... now im gonna worry :S

Thanks I hope they can find me a replacement too. The turbo noises on mine were on light/medium throttle - a very distinctive fluttering - so hopefully your car will be fine.

mbk72

Feb 21, 2015
www.youtube.com
Curious how a Seat UK car used in the Milton Keynes area ended up for resale in Swansea? Or did you go there looking for a specific spec and they sourced it from UK second hand stock?

Not relevant, but I went to Sinclair Swansea for a test drive when the Cupra was first released. They would have got my business too if they weren't so unrealistic with respect to discounts. As it was I still opted for a new Cupra but my money went elsewhere. At least they appear to be treating you decently, which goes a long way in my book.

Yes exactly that, it was sourced from UK stock.

Totally agree on the new prices at Sinclair Swansea. I walked in 6 months ago ready to do a deal on a new Cupra with lots of toys and the Sub 8 pack & tyres. I showed them offers from other dealers and asked them to match it as my local dealer. The exact quote was "we don't discount, we don't need to these sell themselves, you won't be buying from us" the foolish salesman even stomped off afterwards, you'd think I'd insulted his mum or something. I've never known a dealer say they don't negotiate before. Odd for cars that sell themselves that the red demo I drove almost a year ago is still there for sale now!

Mar 13, 2011
Yes exactly that, it was sourced from UK stock.

Totally agree on the new prices at Sinclair Swansea. I walked in 6 months ago ready to do a deal on a new Cupra with lots of toys and the Sub 8 pack & tyres. I showed them offers from other dealers and asked them to match it as my local dealer. The exact quote was "we don't discount, we don't need to these sell themselves, you won't be buying from us" the foolish salesman even stomped off afterwards, you'd think I'd insulted his mum or something. I've never known a dealer say they don't negotiate before. Odd for cars that sell themselves that the red demo I drove almost a year ago is still there for sale now!

I'd be very surprised if they sell any new Cupras at list price. More fool them I say, perhaps something to do with the fact that the Sinclair chain is mostly VW and Audi and they consider themselves a "premium" dealership? I might try them when it comes to service time though. Its about the same distance for me to Sinclair Swansea or White Dove in Cardiff. Never been particularly impressed with White Dove, but they did do a cracking deal on our new Mk2 Cupra when we bought that in 2011.

As a general rule of thumb I think its safe to say that most Seat dealers are dire. Sinclairs hasn't been a Seat dealer for long though so I'll give them a bash for servicing.

mbk72

Feb 21, 2015
www.youtube.com
Rob the service manager seems a genuinely decent bloke, interested in the cars and genuinely sorry for the Cupra failure though it was far from his fault. (Slight aside - I say genuinely because my work involves noticing and coding emotions on the face.)

mbk72

Feb 21, 2015
www.youtube.com
Update: contaminated fuel injectors.

The latest fault has been caused by oil contamination around the 'second set of injectors', from when the turbo blew. Seems the engine uses one set when under light load and a second set when more power is requested. It's this set that are causing the current problem. All 8 injectors being replaced now.

Off to see the dealers tomorrow to decide what to do next.

Purch123

May 6, 2014
Rob the service manager seems a genuinely decent bloke, interested in the cars and genuinely sorry for the Cupra failure though it was far from his fault. (Slight aside - I say genuinely because my work involves noticing and coding emotions on the face.)
When I was buying my ibiza cupra from sinclair seat last year rob was having a decent chat to me about the car. Seems like he's quite enthusiastic about them in general. Took it in for a service with them a few months ago and he was asking me all about my cupra and how he's really impressed with his leon cupra (driving at the time). Pretty happy taking my car back there for its next service, they've been good with my cupra.

Mar 13, 2011
When I was buying my ibiza cupra from sinclair seat last year rob was having a decent chat to me about the car. Seems like he's quite enthusiastic about them in general. Took it in for a service with them a few months ago and he was asking me all about my cupra and how he's really impressed with his leon cupra (driving at the time). Pretty happy taking my car back there for its next service, they've been good with my cupra.
That is good to know. Nothing like hearing other customers having a positive experience. I will give them a try when our Cupra is due its first service in about two months.

springerFR

Jan 22, 2014
South Wales
Seat Swansea

Slightly off topic
But be wary Sinclair Swansea recently had my FR serviced and although the service went fine they weren't happy I was waiting for the car and seemed a little dis interested.
I had many cars from Sinclair Garages, Audi, Mercedes but not really impressed by their attitude.
Watch your valuables in the car do not leave anything in the car it may go for walk and never to be seen again.
After my last experience I may take my car to Raymonds.

springerFR

Jan 22, 2014
South Wales
Seat Swansea

Slightly off topic
But be wary Sinclair Swansea recently had my FR serviced and although the service went fine they weren't happy I was waiting for the car and seemed a little dis interested.
I had many cars from Sinclair Garages, Audi, Mercedes but not really impressed by Seat attitude.
Watch your valuables in the car do not leave anything in the car it may go for walk and never to be seen again.
After my last experience I may take my car to Raymonds

Last edited:

jimiC

Mar 3, 2015
South Derbyshire
mine makes a strange noise at start up first thing in the morning a strange whiring type fan noise that never comes back until the next morning

i wouldn't be concerned, mine does that too. i just presumed it was the sound of the cold start and slightly higher rpm's :)

Last edited:

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Not good... hope they just give you another Cupra. Now you have me worrying about sounds from my car... mine makes a strange noise at start up first thing in the morning a strange whiring type fan noise that never comes back until the next morning.... now im gonna worry :S

Is that noise not just the fuel pump priming, mine does it every morning too.

After my last experience I may take my car to Raymonds

Just bought my 2nd Leon from Garej Raymond. Can't fault them to be honest. They serviced my previous Mk1 Tdi SE Leon for 7 years and I found them to excellent & cheaper than FRF Seat (the previous Swansea franchise).

I did visit Sinclair Seat twice before I bought my Mk3 ST and they were excellent to be fair. However ignored my email discussing potential discounts so I went elsewhere.

@mbk72, hope it all gets resolved quickly and amicably.

GrahamFR

Now AMG Powered
Dec 10, 2008
Barnsley or Burton
Nah not the fuel pump, its almost sounds like a fan rubbing on something. tried to do a video today but my stupid music kicked in just as it made the sound.

If it only happens every now and again then yes like mbk says, its something to do with the air-con and nothing to worry about.

In terms of noises, mine makes a whole host of noises, and im still here touch wood so i wouldn't be getting too para yet, the mk2's had howling police sirens turbos on the dervs and whilst most failed turbo's had this noise, most also ran fine as well, so there are indicative noises and coincidental noises so dont go driving yourselves up the wall, if she blows she blows, then its bt time :)

mbk72

Feb 21, 2015
www.youtube.com
End of the Cupra adventure. Even for me this has been a short story without even a single mile on track.

I have been treated entirely fairly by the Sinclair SEAT Swansea team and we have reached an agreement I'm happy with. There was no fuss or bother which I'm extremely grateful for, SEAT are good to their word on used car guarantees. They did offer a deal on another Cupra but it wasn't quite right for me at this time so that ends the Cupra ownership for now. It seems quite odd that through this adversity my levels of trust in the dealer have actually risen and I'm glad I did deal locally which I try to do as far as possible.

Would I buy another? Maybe in time. I'd go for it properly if I did with Sub8 pack and other goodies, but by that point the price is just too close to some serious competition with possibly better residuals values like the Golf R, S3 and the A45 AMG.

Thanks to all on here for the kind words, humour and general support. It's good to know these things don't go unnoticed.

So I am literally back where I started, I wonder if it will be 13 years before the next one!

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.