Upgrade to Cupra Ateca or Leon ST Cupra

craigb25

Nov 10, 2015
Hi All

Apologies if this has been discussed before...I did search but couldn’t really find the right answers.

I currently have a Leon FR 184 2.0 TDI. My lease is at an end next year so I need to sort out a replacement around April. The Leon is a great car but with a growing family and more stuff to carry around now I need something with more boot space. At the moment I rack up around 10k in miles. Long term I've average 32mpg (mainly city\duel carriageway driving). Because of usage, I would be better off with a petrol. So the Cupra Ateca or the Leon ST Cupra are at the top of my list. I’m just not sure which one would be best.

Around 50% of the time ill be driving around with the family, so comfort is an important factor along with boot space. I know that the Leon ST has more load space, but is it as usable as what is in the Ateca?

How good is the comfort setting on the Leon ST, does it really make the ride smoother and how does this result to the Ateca

With the Ateca being heavier and more box-shaped how does the mpg results differ?

How easy is it to fit an adult in the back in between to child seats in the Ateca. I know in the Leon it can be a bit of a squeeze?

Any advise from current owners would be appreciated. Thank you.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I know Ateca owners will have their own opinion, but for me the Leon is my choice:

Boot Space - ST:
Cupra Ateca (with 4WD which reduce the boot space compared to the standard Ateca) - 485 L
Leon Cupra ST (with 4WD which does not reduce boot space compared to FWD Leon) - 587 L:

ST Video:

Fuel economy - ST:
Not looking up the figures, but the Ateca is heavier (1615kg vs 1545kg) and not as aerodynamic, therefore fuel economy is going to be lower on the Ateca.

Driving/Handling - ST:
Lighter and lower centre of gravity, means the ST is going to win out here also. Not that the Ateca is bad in anyway, just won't quite have the edge of the ST.

Performance - ST:
As above really.

Comfort - Ateca:
Ateca wins out here, higher ride height and higher profile tyres (40 vs 35) means its going to ride our terrible roads better. Also as its a newer design in theory it should be better built (you'd hope).

Cost - ST:
ST same spec is going to be cheaper. If you were to try and spec the Cupra Ateca the same as the Cupra R ST (with buckets, BBK, bodywork etc) you're going into over 40k, which means you in the much more costly road tax area as well. I appreciate unless you get the Ateca or R ST, you don't get the 370mm brakes, only the 340mm. If you're not after all out performance, the 340's do, and being black you don't see them that much anyway.

From - https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables

Vehicles with a list price of more than £40,000

You have to pay an extra £320 a year if you have a car or motorhome with a ‘list price’ (the published price before any discounts) of more than £40,000.

You only have to pay this rate for 5 years (from the second time the vehicle is taxed).

Check the list price with your dealer so you know how much vehicle tax you’ll have to pay.

Looks - ?:

Ateca is a good looking car, but for me I prefer the look of the ST. But this is subjective.

However, drive both, see which gets wins your heart over.

Last edited:

'Little' John

Oct 12, 2018
I reckon he's right about the fuel economy. There's a thread somewhere about the economy that Leon Cupra drivers are getting (might be 5 door rather than ST) and a number have said they can get over 40mpg on a long run. My best in the Ateca is 39mpg. Long term average is about 32mpg, but if I have a tank when I'm just pootling around locally (although generally not caning it) it's more like 28-29mpg - but I don't do a lot of city/stop-start driving.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I reckon he's right about the fuel economy. There's a thread somewhere about the economy that Leon Cupra drivers are getting (might be 5 door rather than ST) and a number have said they can get over 40mpg on a long run. My best in the Ateca is 39mpg. Long term average is about 32mpg, but if I have a tank when I'm just pootling around locally (although generally not caning it) it's more like 28-29mpg.
You've got to remember though, that most Cupra drivers are in fact FWD only. Its only the facelift ST DSG 4drives that have the extra weight and drivetrain drag of the 4WD. The FWD 5 door Cupra's are lighter still about 75-100kg for the bigger boot and 4drive system.

On a long journey I also get 39mpg, but I'm in the older 6 speed. The later 7 speed is better for motorway cruising.

Last edited:

perelaar

Jan 18, 2019
Sugartown Belgium
I'd have the Cupra Ateca over the ST anytime. I agree the ST has (marginally) better performance, handling and (reasonably) bigger luggage space; we have chosen the Ateca for the better comfort and higher ground clearance. If you only ever drive good roads without speed bumps, and don't need to do the occasional dirt track, snowed in road or steep parking access, go for the ST ;)

MPG wise, after about 15000 miles in our Cupra Ateca, we are between 30 and 35 mpg, depending on traffic (daily heavily congested commute) and the way of driving. On long distance trips to Italy and Denmark from Belgium, fully using the German Autobahn system for what it was made for, we were close to 35mpg.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members