Upgraded Bulbs

maxcars1

Nov 9, 2004
Hi guys - now that winter's approaching , I was thinking of uprating my bulbs on my twin headlights. My idea was to get some Osram Silverstars for the dip and some bigger wattage for the mains. Would I have any problems with the wiring if I went for something like 100watt bulbs on these mains? Is the circuit protected by a relay?- I remember having problems many years ago when I upgraded a Dolomite Sprint - It went on fire in the vicinity of the ignitian barrel (overloaded circuit).

dmjw01

Upstanding Member
Jul 28, 2005
Woking, UK
www.dmjwilliams.co.uk
I don't know about 100W main beams, but I've just bought and fitted a pair of Osram Silverstar dipped beams to mine. They are very good - a nice white light without being blue.

I also bought a pair of main beams, but until I can get hold of an inspection mirror I can't figure out how to release the spring-loaded clips holding the main beams in. I'm sure it'll be a piece of cake once I can see what I'm doing.

Kam

Prof. Myang Li - Yum!
Jun 6, 2002
South East
Visit site
orangesprout said:
sorry but - bollox

i run phillips rally 100w main and dipped - no probs whatsoever
didn't have to change fuses either. asked at garage and lights are designed for higher wattage in different countries.

Really ... well it happed to me! Flashed at someone to let them out and the next thing I knew, the main beam no longer worked! Got home, the fuse had gone!!
Had the 100W Phillips rally H1 bulbs in at the time! I removed them and they are still in my garage

Just because it didn't/hasn't happen to you, does not mean it is bollox!!

EdButler

Apr 24, 2005
Sheffield
100W bulbs are illegal for road use and theyre just down right irresponsible - hence the term "Rally ". Peoples lights are bright enough nevermind with 45% extra added on - id feel sorry for the guy who you accidentally blind when you leave your main beams on... 55w Dipped / 60w Main is the maximum.

If you have a bump at night and your insurance finds out, bye bye insurance.

Why not just try to refocus them better?

TheOtherSimon

Jul 12, 2004
It's about longevity. Use standard 55W bulbs and the switchgear is likely to last longer than the car. Use 100W bulbs and you are much more likely to blow the switch.

VW headlight switches are a notorious weak spot across then whole range.

Do you feel lucky?

Simon.

orangesprout

Cheeky !!
Apr 10, 2003
Dodge City, North East
Visit site
Kam said:
Really ... well it happed to me! Flashed at someone to let them out and the next thing I knew, the main beam no longer worked! Got home, the fuse had gone!!
Had the 100W Phillips rally H1 bulbs in at the time! I removed them and they are still in my garage

Just because it didn't/hasn't happen to you, does not mean it is bollox!!

sorry like [B)]

Triple D

EdButler said:
100W bulbs are illegal for road use and theyre just down right irresponsible - hence the term "Rally ". Peoples lights are bright enough nevermind with 45% extra added on - id feel sorry for the guy who you accidentally blind when you leave your main beams on... 55w Dipped / 60w Main is the maximum.

If you have a bump at night and your insurance finds out, bye bye insurance.

Why not just try to refocus them better?
On my pushbike i have got 85w light and they stay like that, no main or low bulb wattage just 85w all the time and they are really bright, had a few cars flash at me from time to time but i just go :w4nk: :birdy: :lol: . They were expensive though(£300) maybe i should get another set and wire them up in my car.

stoneyfordNI

GGG GGG GGGIGITYYY
Jan 9, 2005
Lisburn NI
u can still buy normal 55w/60w lamps that produce more light ouput due to a clever mix of gases , i use them , some osram on the full beam and phillips summit or other on the dipped , these are more expensive than the rally type high wattage , but these are E marked (road legal) and will not cause switch gear wear
oh n mine r brill
all available thru
http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/

Last edited:

TheOtherSimon

Jul 12, 2004
stoneyfordNI said:
u can still buy normal 55w/60w lamps that produce more light ouput due to a clever mix of gases , i use them , some osram on the full beam and phillips summit or other on the dipped , these are more expensive than the rally type high wattage , but these are E marked (road legal) and will not cause switch gear wear

Errrr. Yes. Like the Osram Silverstars that he mentioned in the first post.

Overwattage bulbs are like smoking 40 a day. You'll always find someone who lived to 100, but the majority die young.

Simon

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
What type of main beam bulbs do you guys have in your twin-lamp Mk4s ?

Mine mains are H7s (got different reflectors etc in mine because of th HIDs - the mains on mine use a large reflector). I think the Philips rally are 80watt in H7 form, could be wrong...? Are they different wattages in H1 to H7 ?

McNab

May 24, 2005
I've got some Philips Vision plus on my dipped beam and they are amazing.
For the headlights i'm going to get some Philips Premium H3 bulbs. These are road legal and will give off 30% more light.

orangesprout

Cheeky !!
Apr 10, 2003
Dodge City, North East
Visit site
muddyboots said:
What type of main beam bulbs do you guys have in your twin-lamp Mk4s ?

Mine mains are H7s (got different reflectors etc in mine because of th HIDs - the mains on mine use a large reflector). I think the Philips rally are 80watt in H7 form, could be wrong...? Are they different wattages in H1 to H7 ?

yes, one is 80 the other 100. i thnk the one with dangly wire is 100 (H1?)
and H7 is 80W

i would have to check and its bloody cold outside

The std sport twin lights use 2 H1's - they're good Philips Rally

Had them in my MK3 before

frboyz

Sep 26, 2004
I am waiting for my PIAA bulbs 55w draw but 110w output will let you know......

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
How much are the PIAA bulbs then ?
Any idea on what the lifespan is supposed to be like on them ?

TheOtherSimon

Jul 12, 2004
frboyz said:

Good luck trying to focus them.

On the Autocar test, those PIAA +50% bulbs had a terrible beam shape.

You'll only get 100W EQUIVALENT at 50m, you won't see much difference in the general brightness of the bulb.

Simon.

Kam

Prof. Myang Li - Yum!
Jun 6, 2002
South East
Visit site
frboyz said:

I hope you have a different experience. I bought PIAA once, never again!

The light produced was nothing special ... despite their claim that the the wattage was higher, I didn't find it brighter. The light produced was whiter but it dispersed everywhere. The set I had lasted all of 4-5 days in the car! The bulb didn't blow but the filament construction fell apart, the little shield thing (H4 bulb) touch the glass on the inside. They are also way more expensive than Philips and Osram.

I managed to get a refund from the supplier though, which was nice.

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.