Upgrading standard speakers?

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Banbridge, Northern Ireland
I know there are a fair few threads about speakers, but I've spent the past 3 days searching and still haven't found what I'm looking for.

Basically I'm just looking for a setup that will provide a bit more clarity and bass. Nothing too fancy. Doesn't have to sound crystal clear at full volume or anything. Just something better than what I currently have. And that costs no more than £60 or so.

I've been searching ebay and places and have discovered these:

Blaupunkt BGx 663
It says their triaxial 3 way speakers so not sure if thats what i need or if it would sound ok.

JBL GTO 627

Pioneer TS-G1702i

They all seem reasonably priced and have a lowish RMS, which i read somewhere on the forum was good if I wanted to power them with the standard head unit.

Then a few people, have reccomended component systems like this:
Infinity Reference REF6010CS

But I was wondering if it was really worth the extra cost of a component system if I'm just running it off the standard head unit.

Any advice appreciated.

Mar 10, 2005
Walton on Thames
if i was you i'd just buy the best components your can for £60 and that will should be good enough for you. don't forget you need the mounting backet too which are about £15

clarkey-cool/s

Braindead
Mar 24, 2008
I have some JBL 652's which I got from Motorworld for £20, and I really can't fault them. I have the balance set mostly to the back anyway but they doa good job of filling the sound in.

Dec 3, 2007
cardiff
get some 17cm components and if you get the ones with the cross overs built in then you dont have to mess around. You just purely swap the standard speaker and tweater for the upgraded ones. Then a set of 6x9's for the parcel shelf. Will sound really good then. Oh and you will still need the brackets for the doors. I was running just the 6x9's and standard door speakers and i was happy with that but because i wanted more noise i upgraded to a big big big system. Lol

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
I'm in a similar situation to you. I bought a set of Infinity 6520CS components this week for the fronts which arrived this morning along with the necessary adaptors :) Hoping the standard amp will suffice but we'll see.

clarkey-cool/s

Braindead
Mar 24, 2008
The standard headunit too? The amp won't suffice...
You won't believe the difference an amp makes. Even to cheap speakers, let alone components...

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Robbie C let me know what you think of them when you get them installed.

Im still undecided about components, as I dont know if they'll sound good off the standard head unit.

Saw these Alpine components on ebay, would they be any good and would they fit?

Are tweeters easy to install? Do they fit nicely or require lots of modifications to fit?

And another question. In a component set, theres a crossover which, from what I've read separates the higher sounds from the lower sounds, and sends the higher ones to the tweeter and lower ones to the main speaker.

But how does the standard setup work. are the cossovers in it, or does the tweeter get the same feed from the head unit as the other speakers get?

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2007
cardiff
you can get components with the cross over built in. Like i said above. And it is a simple pop the old one out and new one in.

collapsed sewer

Apr 6, 2008
If it's the standard (OEM) 6.5" VAG component set, they really aren't that bad. Amping them up with something like 2 x 50W (you'll be getting about 18W per channel currently from the head unit) will make big strides in sound quality. By far the best pound for pound value for increasing sound quality is to give the standard comps more power from an amp as opposed to replacing the speakers alone.

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Virtually every set of component speakers will have crossovers included. Are you sure you're not looking at coaxials?

I know that, but I thought he meant there were component sets where the crossover was actually built into the speaker and thus didnt need wired up like standard componets.

I am aware of the difference between component speakers and coaxial speakers lol.

collapsed sewer

Apr 6, 2008
I know that, but I thought he meant there were component sets where the crossover was actually built into the speaker and thus didnt need wired up like standard componets.

I am aware of the difference between component speakers and coaxial speakers lol.

Fair enough. I misinterpreted.

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Right I think i have fairly low audio expectations, as I was driving my Dad's Vauxhall Astra (new shape 05) last night and thought it sounded really well. Everything in it is original.

So i guess I'd be fine with a set of coaxials.

Just one thing, if i got coaxials, what would happen with the original tweeters, would they need disconnected?

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Well they arrived in the post on Friday, and look dead simple to fit. No messing about with wiring up crossovers, so thanks mr_D for suggesting them.

Just waiting on adaptors from eBay before I can fit them.

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Thought I'd give a wee update, installed the Pioneer components, wasnt too hard, and the sound was definetly an improvement, but this made the poor sound coming from the back more evident, So I upgraded the rear 6x4s to some JBL GTO6427 coaxials.

I'm now really happy with the sound, basically have my perfect system now:-
Standard Head Unit
Ipod connection
Decent speakers.

Thanks for all the advice guys
Much appreciated

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.