Don1961

Apr 11, 2019
Consolidated by type is what you need as you can only show so many POI’s on the Sat Nav.

Consolidation shows each camera type and all speeds for that camera types ie all Gatso, Mobile, Average etc.

Speed zones shows (I think) each type by speed type. So Gatso at 70mph, Gatso at 40mph, Mobile at 30mph etc as separate types. ie lots more POI’s which can’t all shown at once as they will be too many of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks.
I assume I then import all the .gpx files into POInspect0r to create the DB file

Tell

Staff member
Thanks.
I assume I then import all the .gpx files into POInspect0r to create the DB file

Glad you found it.

In the example I do the fixed cameras and the mobile cameras. Due to the UK camera database being in MPH and the mainland European ones being in KPM GPS World have to store them in separate files, the infotainment system knows what to do with them when you are in the territory. So if you follow the example, you have four input GPX files plus four icons. Also in the example I import my own favourite destinations. The sum total of that is your infotainment system needs five spare icon places to shows these, so you have to make sure you got five free if you have gone mad and picked up loads of the inbuilt POIs. You can also do less if you want. It's best to have the mobile cameras since they tend to be danger spots. There is some mis-assignment of the GPS World ones between fixed and mobile so having both is best.

Once you get the icons in you don't have to do that again with Poinspector, you just delete the POIs and re-import, not delete the category else you have to re-do the icons. It's the icons that can be fiddly first time round. You might have to reboot the system if they don't show. Long hold on the left volume button. The units a bit idiosyncratic with showing the icons even when the import file is correct. Once in and of the correct size as specified all is then good. Obviously if it was a Seat MY19 / MY20 with wifi built in as covered in the warnings above you wouldn't be able to import them. No other issues with other VAG cars to my knowledge.

Last edited:
Reactions: Don1961 and Maypack

Don1961

Apr 11, 2019
Glad you found it.

In the example I do the fixed cameras and the mobile cameras. Due to the UK camera database being in MPH and the mainland European ones being in KPM GPS World have to store them in separate files, the infotainment system knows what to do with them when you are in the territory. So if you follow the example, you have four input GPX files plus four icons. Also in the example I import my own favourite destinations. The sum total of that is your infotainment system needs five spare icon places to shows these, so you have to make sure you got five free if you have gone mad and picked up loads of the inbuilt POIs. You can also do less if you want. It's best to have the mobile cameras since they tend to be danger spots. There is some mis-assignment of the GPS World ones between fixed and mobile so having both is best.

Once you get the icons in you don't have to do that again with Poinspector, you just delete the POIs and re-import, not delete the category else you have to re-do the icons. It's the icons that can be fiddly first time round. You might have to reboot the system if they don't show. Long hold on the left volume button. The units a bit idiosyncratic with showing the icons even when the import file is correct. Once in and of the correct size as specified all is then good. Obviously if it was a Seat MY19 / MY20 with wifi built in as covered in the warnings above you wouldn't be able to import them. No other issues with other VAG cars to my knowledge.
@Tell. Thanks for that.

I think I've created DB correctly, but it's not found by the Sat Nav.
In POInspect0r I created four categories as siblings and then added a .gpx file (from PocketGPSWorld) to each. I then assigned an icon
(39 x 39) to each category. When I created DB I selected 'Discover Media' option.

The USB stick appeared to be read by the car. However, when selecting 'Map' and then POIs the camera categories were not there. When selecting 'Update POIs' under memory management, I got an error message.

My unit is 6P0919866AB

The USB stick has the following file structure...
PersonalPOI
MIB2DE
metainfo2.txt
MIB2HIGH
PersonalPOI
InfoFile
Update.txt
Package
bitmaps
categories.pc
hashes.txt
lang.map.xml
poidata.db
strings_de-DE.xml
versions.xml
metainfo2.txt
MIB2TSD
personalpoi
InfoFile
Update.txt
ppoidb
icon
hashes.txt
poidata.db3
metainfo2.txt
metainfo2.txt

Any ideas?

Tell

Staff member
@Tell. Thanks for that.

I think I've created DB correctly, but it's not found by the Sat Nav.
In POInspect0r I created four categories as siblings and then added a .gpx file (from PocketGPSWorld) to each. I then assigned an icon
(39 x 39) to each category. When I created DB I selected 'Discover Media' option.

The USB stick appeared to be read by the car. However, when selecting 'Map' and then POIs the camera categories were not there. When selecting 'Update POIs' under memory management, I got an error message.

My unit is 6P0919866AB

The USB stick has the following file structure...
PersonalPOI
MIB2DE
metainfo2.txt
MIB2HIGH
PersonalPOI
InfoFile
Update.txt
Package
bitmaps
categories.pc
hashes.txt
lang.map.xml
poidata.db
strings_de-DE.xml
versions.xml
metainfo2.txt
MIB2TSD
personalpoi
InfoFile
Update.txt
ppoidb
icon
hashes.txt
poidata.db3
metainfo2.txt
metainfo2.txt

Any ideas?

The USB has to be blank and Fat 32 before it makes / copies the files. It won't like anything else on the USB and we know they don't like NTFS format. Mention that just in case you have anything else on it or it's not formatted correctly.

If it's a standard unit, yes you select the Discover Media option.

The sibling business. They fan directly from the route they can't be one down. I'll check what you have above when I switch on, if it's not the first two.

Reactions: Don1961

Don1961

Apr 11, 2019
The USB has to be blank and Fat 32 before it makes / copies the files. It won't like anything else on the USB and we know they don't like NTFS format. Mention that just in case you have anything else on it or it's not formatted correctly.

If it's a standard unit, yes you select the Discover Media option.

The sibling business. They fan directly from the route they can't be one down. I'll check what you have above when I switch on, if it's not the first two.
The USB stick was empty and formatted as FAT32 with 32KB sectors.

In POInspect0r I clicked on 'New' and created db3 file.
This then created a 'Personal POI' category.
I then created five categories as siblings of 'Personal POI'. See below...

upload_2019-10-22_9-25-22.png

Should I have deleted the 'Personal POI' category?

I've quickly done this at work, that's why there's no POI data or icons, but it's the same as I did last night

Tell

Staff member

View attachment 10702

I've quickly done this at work, that's why there's no POI data or icons, but it's the same as I did last night

Yes if you haven't set an icon up for it. I guess that would cause it a problem.

The nesting is correct.

Once you get past this fussyness of first setting it up, it becomes easy to use.

Failing that try an SD card in the second slot in case it's idiosyncratic about reading a usb or that usb for Poi import. Default cluster size is fine.

Don1961

Apr 11, 2019
Yes if you haven't set an icon up for it. I guess that would cause it a problem.

The nesting is correct.

Once you get past this fussyness of first setting it up, it becomes easy to use.

Failing that try an SD card in the second slot in case it's idiosyncratic about reading a usb or that usb for Poi import. Default cluster size is fine.
Thanks. I'll give it another go later and also do a reboot of the system.

Is it correct having the three folders for MIB2DE, MIB2HIGH and MIB2TSD? It wouldn't get confused?

Tell

Staff member

Is it correct having the three folders for MIB2DE, MIB2HIGH and MIB2TSD? It wouldn't get confused?

It knows which file to look in. If you have the standard unit without SSD you pick Discover Media then the contents are populated correctly. For the High due to VW using signatures on the top metadata file a different output file is produced.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front

View attachment 10702

This is how I have mine. I have 3 lots, UK Only, Europe Only and I also setup combined ones. Works fine. I know the initial instructions seem to say have them all in their own groups, but that didn't work for me. I have a MY2018 car.

upload_2019-10-22_11-11-4.png

Reactions: Tell and Don1961

Tell

Staff member

It knows which file to look in. If you have the standard unit without SSD you pick Discover Media then the contents are populated correctly. For the High due to VW using signatures on the top metadata file a different output file is produced when you pick Discover Pro - the one it needs. Your hardware code was one it worked with not finishing with 877 or 877A, so it's not that.

Don1961

Apr 11, 2019
This is how I have mine. I have 3 lots, UK Only, Europe Only and I also setup combined ones. Works fine. I know the initial instructions seem to say have them all in their own groups, but that didn't work for me. I have a MY2018 car.

View attachment 10703
Where did you get your icons from? I assume you just select the relevant categories to where you're travelling

Reactions: Tell

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Where did you get your icons from? I assume you just select the relevant categories to where you're travelling
I made my own originally, as the standard ones where a bit crap. I was happy with them but I did plan to do some really professional looking ones, but then @indyjones did these that match the original car ones. As I was going to France, and your not supposed to have the locations, I decided to use his as they're more subtle :) Although I know you can turn the screen off if need be.

Tell

Staff member

View attachment 10703

You can spread them out into types like that, uses more of your maximum number of icons the unit can show on the screen. Probably musical shares on getting it to work. Works fine how I have it but the GPS World screens are a bit clunky, take the "other" menu option and ov2.

BTW that's how you toggle them off when your friendly French or Austria policeman has his head through the window ;). I think they still beep. You'd have to test.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
You can spread them out into types like that, uses more of your maximum number of icons the unit can show on the screen. Probably musical shares on getting it to work. Works fine how I have it but the GPS World screens are a bit clunky, take the "other" menu option and ov2.

BTW that's how you toggle them off when your friendly French or Austria policeman has his head through the window ;). I think they still beep. You'd have to test.
I only use 5 at a time, and now I have the UK and EUR ones combined that's all I need. I've kept them seperate like that so when I next update, I'll only update the UK ones. When I next go to France I'll update them both before hand and combine them again.

I have the beep turned off, too annoying as too many. I just put them on my Virtual Cockpit when on the motorway/dual carriageways etc.

As for the structure, doing it like @Don1961 has done it would not be recognised by the unit at all for me, despite the instructions I'd read seeming to say that was the way to do it. The way I've done it works for me no problem. I have 15 options to choose from, but obviously only use the 5 I need.

Edit - as for toggling them off, have you tried using the touch screen quickly when nervous haha, its bad enough when your relaxed lol

Don1961

Apr 11, 2019
I only use 5 at a time, and now I have the UK and EUR ones combined that's all I need. I've kept them seperate like that so when I next update, I'll only update the UK ones. When I next go to France I'll update them both before hand and combine them again.

I have the beep turned off, too annoying as too many. I just put them on my Virtual Cockpit when on the motorway/dual carriageways etc.

As for the structure, doing it like @Don1961 has done it would not be recognised by the unit at all for me, despite the instructions I'd read seeming to say that was the way to do it. The way I've done it works for me no problem. I have 15 options to choose from, but obviously only use the 5 I need.

Edit - as for toggling them off, have you tried using the touch screen quickly when nervous haha, its bad enough when your relaxed lol
As I've a MY2018 car also I think I'll try your file structure and see if that works for me.

Tell

Staff member
I made my own originally, as the standard ones where a bit crap. I was happy with them but I did plan to do some really professional looking ones, but then @indyjones did these that match the original car ones. As I was going to France, and your not supposed to have the locations, I decided to use his as they're more subtle :) Although I know you can turn the screen off if need be.

Mine I look off the original VW download html before they pulled the plug on it. If you were lucky enough to have them, covered that in the instructions so it looks identical to what I had before and they were the previous GPS World ones. There was a phase where Radas the programmer of Poinspector hadn't fully modified the program for mib1 / mib2 icons which are square, the old head unit had them rectangular. That's why he has the toggle in it so it supports legacy units.

The unit is fussy that the icon size has to be right and the unit can be fussy that it doesn't know you have corrected it which is where the reboot comes in. I know I had to do it once and a similar conversation came up on the boards on a standard unit. This is when the import has been fine but they don't appear to have changed from what was wrong.

Tell

Staff member
I think its more the instructions being wrong, as @Maypack helped me correct it and think his is MY2017.

No the instructions are not wrong :). But it is tricky getting the icon profile set up correctly. I have had the program doing strange things in the past during the setting up phase. That is where its a good idea to start with a fresh build of the database file. Once you get past this phase using it is fairly easy. Because it's backwards compatible to the forunner of Mib units and has the flexibilty on numbers of POI sets it feels complex to set up, but a once only activity.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
No the instructions are not wrong :). But it is tricky getting the icon profile set up correctly. I have had the program doing strange things in the past during the setting up phase. That is where its a good idea to start with a fresh build of the database file. Once you get past this phase using it is fairly easy. Because it's backwards compatible to the forunner of Mib units and has the flexibilty on numbers of POI sets it feels complex to set up, but a once only activity.

Once I got a bit of direction from @Maypack, the system is pretty easy to use to be honest.

I started with a completely new setup and this way of structuring (Siblings) never worked with my MY2018 car:
upload_2019-10-22_12-17-6.png

I thought I was going mad, but then I tied the following structure (Child) and it worked straight away:
upload_2019-10-22_12-18-7.png

Not sure how you could set up the sibling route any differently. It just never worked. Bit I've updated my Cameras 3 or 4 times now, and the Child way always works.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.