Uprated Intercooler - S3 / THS?

Poverty

if you like your air conditioning - S3 + Twintercooler.
if you want the cabin temperature to be hotter than your intake temperature - S3 + AC core removal.

its a simple choice for me.

For those who dont use your AC I think a core removal and the stock cupra cooler will be more than sufficient as long as the cupra cooler doesnt suffer from a severe bottleneck.

The stock Cupra cooler is something like 3 or 4 times as big as the cooler on my TTRS, odd im sure you are thinking, but basically the rs can run such a small cooler in comparison as its right at the front of the bumper with direct airflow unlike the cupra. Even the uprated cooler for the RS isnt anywhere near the size of the cupra cooler because of it. So get your cooler direct airflow and it should be all good.

Would be interesting to see someone do this and log the car actually.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
I did ;)

Logs with S3 core with A/C and without A/C core - will need to try and find them.

As mentioned above, compared with an identical car with a Twintercooler as well as the S3 core also with the A/C core removed, differences were almost negligable.

Dec 2, 2008
Nottingham
Some interesting views guys, thanks.

As I plan to keep the car (well that's the current thinking anyway albeit keep getting drawn to an FQ360) and want to make sure I look after the turbo additional cooling will be the answers.

It does sound however some good alternatives to a brand new replacement one are out there so will give this some thought.

Think I'll be alright for now as the colder weather sets in :)

Next year however..:)

Dec 2, 2008
Nottingham
I did ;)

Logs with S3 core with A/C and without A/C core - will need to try and find them.

As mentioned above, compared with an identical car with a Twintercooler as well as the S3 core also with the A/C core removed, differences were almost negligable.

Thanks Al would be great to see the results if you have them to hand somewhere

Bignod00

Nov 9, 2009
Lincoln/40,000 ft.
Sorry for the old thread resurrection but I'm about to upgrade my i/c so started having a read through all this info. Has anyone tried the Pro Alloy i/c, if so how did it fare? Been looking at these and they look pretty good!:)

andyccr

FR CR
Jul 19, 2002
Essex
Best thing after the remap on my old Octavia vRS was the Forge front mount intercooler. Held full boost right through the 'hot' summers and a 'few' laps round the Nurburgring.

vasilios12cupra

Hello guys i want to ask if anyone of you has install a universal intercooler?:confused:

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Not to my knowledge. The standard intercooler is pretty decent, especially with no a/c core in front of it.

m.001

Oct 1, 2012
I did ;)

Hello Al,

Yes, me again just on a different thread.. As you can see I am reading up on as much as I can for this intercooler..

I am a little confused with the A/C core issue.
If I get a replacement intercooler, e.g. apr or ths does that mean that I cannot keep the A/C core and will therefore have no A/C in the car?
As I said in my last message to you, I live in the middle east so if replacing the OEM intercooler with something better meas that I will have no A/C this will definitely not be an option for me. I cant be driving around in above 45C without an AC..

Al

Aug 29, 2005
You can keep the air con with an uprated intercooler - they are designed to fit behind the a/c core and in front of the radiator.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Edition 30, Pirelli, Cupra and Cupra K1 all use the same cooler as the K03s 2.0T engine.

The Cupra R uses the intercooler from the CDLA engine S3 which is a Hybrid of the ends from the K03s intercooler with a thicker core. The original 2.0TFSi intercooler on the earlier K04 TFSi engines had big stainless end tanks with the wider core.

Lee M

Maybe not for now but had some experiences, particularly on hot days even though only running stage 1 with 'heatsoak'

As I undrstand the answer here is more than likely an uprated intercooler.

Personally I like the look of the THS one as it is a direct replacement, used by REVO in their testing and seems to have a good sales patter! However at £600 is a bit steep but probably cheaper than Forge and APR.

I know some have chosen to install the S3 cooler and would be interested in views;

1. Assume like the THS the S3 cooler is a direct replacement (no customisation necessary)

On my K1:
For those considering a THS, great piece of kit but from experience you need to trim the inside of your bumper (about 20mm off) to stop it rubbing on your AC core and making a hole in it!
The THS is thicker than standard so your AC core ends up being closer to the bumper.

tonto

Apr 17, 2011
plymouth
I hate intercooler options :mad:! i want to stg2+ so badly! but so many choices for coolers its unreal!

i think when i go stg2 next ill keep the oem cooler and just upgrade to the Rev'D and worry about cooler when i get the HPFP!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members