Urgent help needed for Arosa 1.7 SDI

Mr_M_Cox

HI All,

On my way home from work today I noticed my battery dash light stayed on for longer than normal and then went out after about 20-25 seconds, during thistime I did rev the engine.

THen i notice my wipers seem a little slow. 20-25 min of motorway driving later my dash lights tuen off when i brake, lights are dim and wipers very slow.

I managed to get home with these being the only sympotoms, turned the car off and then tried to start it...no luck, not turning over really, just a weak whirring. then after stopping to tuenthe key a starnge rapid clicking noise from under the bonnet.

IU left it for 10-15 mins tops then on the off chance tried again. The battery light again stayed on a little while, maybe less than before but this time the dash lights worked when braking, lights and wipers seemed ok.

I reved the engine for a little while, maybe 30 seconds of on/off reving and nothing bad seemed to happen, dash lights seemed fine.

A long winded story I know but any ideas whats up?

Thanks all.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Alternator sounds shot. Worth getting a multimeter on that (and the battery) to check them both

Mr_M_Cox

Thanks for the reply.

Any idea on cost of alternator? Also, if I can start it and dont needs lights or wipers etc just engine, is it drivable?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Refurb from Eurocarparts is about £184 - there might be a rebate for returning the old one

Mr_M_Cox

Thanks, that is way more expensive than I expected!

What I dont get is why when i left the car a little while it then worked again? SUrely if the alternator was shot and the battery dead there would be no way for it to gain the change it had back in it?

neil72

Apr 30, 2006
durham
Check ebay,less than £100 new. But as mentioned earlier,a mulimeter ,even the cheap ones will show the voltage from your alternator and battery .

Last edited:

Mr_M_Cox

Thanks for all the help.

Earlier this evening, having left the car for 30-40 mins I went out and it started with none of the previously mentioned symptoms other than the batt light staying on until I revd the engine.

Anyone know why it would now be working? Also, if I can get it started on the morning and the battery then dies mid journey will the enigine stop?

Thanks again all for the help

neil72

Apr 30, 2006
durham
It may be the voltage regulator thats at fault ,or even just a bad connection .
I would say if the battery dies ,gets below a certain voltage when driving then it would stop the engine,and have you not already had the symptoms with the slow wipers and dodgy dash lights ,as the battery just hasn,t got the power for these circuits due to not enough or no output from the alt .

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
If the alternator dies mid journey then the car will run out of charge and will cut out as there isn't the electricity required to keep it going.

If its your battery thats dead then the car will be able to stay running when started by running off the power from the alternator.

Its going to be one of three things:

1. Dying alternator
2. Dying battery
3. Bad connection - probably and earth strap, so check these.