Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

Useful Distributor Hall Sensor Information 8v AGG

Discussion in 'Mk2 Ibiza/Cordoba Guides (6K) 1993-1999' started by DPJ, Oct 17, 2010.

1. DPJ

DPJ ...........

Info gleaned on other sites.

What does the Distributor Hall Sensor do?
    It's simply a replacement for the contact breakers of a regular distributor, telling the ecu when to charge the coil and when to fire it.It works using a digital on/off mechanisim, using three connections-pos, neg and 0. A slotted wheel spins around and blocks the pickup once per spindle revolution. (The 8v distributor has one slot in the wheel, 16v has four.)

Fault code 00515 Hall Sender G40 signal outside tolerances
    TO Bring the Hall sender unit G40 back inside the tolerance, you must use VAG.com because the timing is controlled by ECU.
    To do that go to 01 engine, then measuring block go 07 then
    loosen the mounting bolt of the distributor then turn it anti or clockwise until it gets inside the range.

Full instructions here

#1 DPJ, Oct 17, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  2. DPJ

DPJ ...........

I fitted a new hall sensor on mine. With the engine bang on TDC for #1 cylinder, I lined up the rotor arm straight on #1 distributor cap terminal. The car ran, but spluttered when the pedal was initially floored - and it kept throwing the Hall Sensor outside limits code.

Tried block 7 on VCDS Lite - and I wasn't much wiser. First two blocks are hall sensor correction I was getting 5/11. With a long nose pair of grips to move the distributor body gradually, I got the first block to 2 and the second block to 8, but the car spluttered more when floored. I put the car back to the original setting and cleared the fault code again.

Went for a run and the car started spluttering at 5k rpm (wouldn't go over). I cleared the fault code again (on the hoof) and the car then ran smoothly to the limiter and the fault code didn't come back. Seems to be fine now. :shrug:

3. Damoegan

Damoegan Sir Bob,a geordy legend..

Some usefull info there, Dave :thumbup:

Such a small little thing that stops the car from running :(

4. DPJ

DPJ ...........

The fourth VCDS block Operating Cond.,Throttle appears to be 0000000 =throttle closed and, surprise surprise, 00000001 = throttle open. :D

5. Damoegan

So its just a switch then :D

6. DPJ

DPJ ...........

Mrs DPJ took KiwiCupra today and tonight, told me that it 'ran out of power'. :-o

Obviously limiting at 5k again. I had a trawl on the net and found this...

That's promising. I'll try it tomorrow.

7. DPJ

DPJ ...........

8. Damoegan

Those do sound promising, hope it does the job, Dave :)

What's Joy doing at 5k anyway :cartman:

9. DPJ

DPJ ...........

On her way to the redline, it would seem........ :headhurt:

10. Damoegan

11. DPJ

DPJ ...........

Yes, this procedure works. I got mine set to 1 and 7 and it runs perfectly and sweetly all the way to the red line.

I'll rewrite as a how-to as it's definitely the solution to the 5k flatline.

12. s28ven

s28ven Guest

Guys, I'm trying to get an AGG to run just now and I have no spark? I've tried a plug straight from the coil to earth and nothing when the engine is turning over! How do you test the Coil pack?

On the three wires going to the coil I have a power and earth and the red and green wire doesn't seem to do anything? Is this correct? or is there a way to test the inputs to the coil?

Cheers, Steven