Useless threads!!

Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
Iam a bit miffed at the necessity of individuals posting a thread to obtain a quote for work only for that quote to be then given in a PM:confused:

Particularly in the Sponsers and Supporters section.

ie

Q: How much for a 20K service?

Reply: I have sent you a PM

What benifit/interest is this to anyone else? - why not just send emails direct rather than use the forum!

Shurly the price quoted cannot be that top secret! - and if competitive would actually create business!

Sven

BHP Addict

Back in a SEAT!!
Jan 31, 2006
Birmingham
Lets start a thread to see who agrees :lol: I'm only jokin.

I do agree tho cus it prevents the question being asked again
ie you ask for a price that I want also.You get a PM so I need to ask agen or ask you

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I can't enforce what people post.

If they want to do themselves out of business, then so be it.

People want to crowse before getting into 'serious' talks with a supplier sometimes - so they're cutting their noses off for no reason IMO

maybe they're all doing deals secretly, maybe they're paranoid. Open policy works best for me

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
I agree too, it benefits the whole forum, and may aid in expanding business.

As for changing it, thats up to the supporters/traders, we can't and won't enforce them, its up to them how they want to conduct their business.

Jun 14, 2005
Northants.
ZBOYD said:
I agree too, it benefits the whole forum, and may aid in expanding business.

As for changing it, thats up to the supporters/traders, we can't and won't enforce them, its up to them how they want to conduct their business.

Fair enough!!

But there still useless threads! - which if relivant we've all clicked on expecting to see a worthwhile reply!

Open policy is best!!!

Last edited:

Darth Tater

Feb 16, 2006
Kent
Generally agree with this but kinda depends what amount(s) your spending. Some people would prefer to keep that quiet given potential amounts but find the forum a useful way of communicating with the suppliers on here

In my briefish experience on SCN seems that most suppliers check the forum pretty regulalry but not all have direct e-mail or are easy to get on the phone. I know the PM system is there but I've noticed that you don't always get a reply to those either (full box etc). Nor do all suppliers advertise their prices direct on the web

Maybe we should also make more use of the search function in realtion to prices etc as well as generally to stop the same threads popping up again and again

Just my tuppence worth :shrug:

Fruit And VAG

Svenster said:
Iam a bit miffed at the necessity of individuals posting a thread to obtain a quote for work only for that quote to be then given in a PM:confused:

Particularly in the Sponsers and Supporters section.

ie

Q: How much for a 20K service?

Reply: I have sent you a PM

What benifit/interest is this to anyone else? - why not just send emails direct rather than use the forum!

Shurly the price quoted cannot be that top secret! - and if competitive would actually create business!

Sven

I agreee.. its a pain. But dont be confused. They do that so they dont create a bidding war for business to the point of operating a loss to stop a competitor getting the business.... plus, its because if its in a thread as a quote, somebody else with a guarantee to beat any quote then has to beat it... will post it... and the original firm might have the same price promise... see it... cut price and post quote... and on... and on .... and on...

All good when you are a consumer.... bad if you are a business.

Last edited by a moderator:

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Fruit And VAG said:
I agreee.. its a pain. But dont be confused. They do that so they dont create a bidding war for business to the point of operating a loss to stop a competitor getting the business.... plus, its because if its in a thread as a quote, somebody else with a guarantee to beat any quote then has to beat it... will post it... and the original firm might have the same price promise... see it... cut price and post quote... and on... and on .... and on...

All good when you are a consumer.... bad if you are a business.
absolutely..
it happens..
you open quote something and some other sponsor then PM's a better price.

what are you supposed to do....
there's more to business than just price, but a lot of people only go by that.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise