V5 Engine number

RobSmith

Jan 8, 2012
Hi!

I recently posted about my BXE engine exploding (fixed now, thankfully!) so I'm looking to update the DVLA with the changes I've made.

Looking at my V5 there is a number listed "BXE A18289" (or similar) which I can't find anywhere on the old block. Typically the engine number would be positioned somewhere you could see easily - and all the numbers that I can see bear absolutely no similarity to the number in the log book.

In fact, the only place I can find that number is on the camcover and I'm struggling to believe VAG would place the only copy of the engine number on a piece of easily removed paper.

So, what would you do?

1) Do nothing - the engine number can still be found on the replcaement engine as I moved the camcover during the rebuild.
2) Tell the DVLA and quote one of the new engine numbers

I'm also not 100% sure which of all the numbers I can see is actually the engine number!

Any advice appreciated!

Regards,

Rob

TimSawf

Jun 26, 2011
South Manchester
This is from ElsaWin for the BXE engine.

The engine number („identification letters“ and „Serial number“) are engraved at the front between the engine and gearbox.
Additionally there is a sticker on the toothed belt cover showing the „engine code“ and „serial number“.
The engine number consists of up to nine characters (alphanumeric). The first part (3 identification letters max.) makes up the „engine code“; and the second part (6 characters) the „serial number“. If more than 999,999 engines with the same engine identification letters are produced, the first of the six characters is replaced with a letter.
As well, the engine code appears in the vehicle documents.

[URL=http://s192.photobucket.com/user/timsawf/media/A10-1674_zpsnk5035yx.png.html] [/URL]

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.