V5 or 1.8t

rdv

I have owned 2 Toledos and and a Leon Cupra and numerous other VAG products and am now considering another Toledo. The question is which one. I had a Golf VR6 and liked that engine a lot, shame that was not in the UK supplied Toledo. Is the V5 anywhere near as good or would a 1.8T be a better choice. Opinions would be helpful please, I will not be modifying the car.

Dormouse

Available In Race Blue
rdv said:
I have owned 2 Toledos and and a Leon Cupra and numerous other VAG products and am now considering another Toledo. The question is which one. I had a Golf VR6 and liked that engine a lot, shame that was not in the UK supplied Toledo. Is the V5 anywhere near as good or would a 1.8T be a better choice. Opinions would be helpful please, I will not be modifying the car.

No modifications mean it's in the balance. The 1.8T gives more 'power' per se (180 vs 170) But not as smooth as the V5 lump.

Having said that the V5 is a bit of a thirsty animal. But has a lovely sound to it.

V5's are cheaper secondhand, principally, I believe due to the cost of fuel.

You obviously don't have all the issues involved with the turbo either with the V5.

If fuel isn't so much of a problem go V5 if not modding I say.

Dor.

Last edited:

rdv

Thanks, I did see the ebay car but the conversion sounds pretty poor, a dogs dinner in fact!

CH1

Jul 6, 2004
If you're considering the Toledo again I'd agree with the other posts and say get the V5 engine. I've had the V5 Toledo, love the sound, its class! and as already mentioned you get a lot of kit as standard for the money, it will be thirsty though especially on short trips, but excellent on motorway cruisin'.

MattR

Yellow...
Mar 18, 2002
Coventry
Visit site
Had both. V5 is noticeably smoother and sounds alot better. Try to go for the 170 rather than the 150.

1.8t is quicker though in all circumstances. V5 is 5 gears, most 1.8t I think are 6. V5 could do with a 6th gear on motorways.

rdv

Anyone know if 5th gear on V5 is as high as 6th on 1.8t. Unable to find MPH/1000rpm info. anywhere

Dr Nick

rdv said:
Anyone know if 5th gear on V5 is as high as 6th on 1.8t. Unable to find MPH/1000rpm info. anywhere

Just had a quick trawl round on a few web sites and the V5's final drive ratio is 1:0.815 where as on the Leon Cupra R (I presume it's the same gearbox as the Toledo) 1:0.917

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
from when i looked at the toledo,the v5 had a few interior bits and bobs as stock.full leather being one,not sure they contiuned it to the 1.8T.

Dr Nick

jason said:
from when i looked at the toledo,the v5 had a few interior bits and bobs as stock.full leather being one,not sure they contiuned it to the 1.8T.

I looked at both and the V5 is definately the better equipped car. Half Leather, half alcantera, electric seats, sat nav on the later models. The 1.8 T isn't very well equipped in comparison IMHO.

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
1.8T, will e easier to sell on.

V5 engine never really liked in the trade,

plus i know you say no mods, but trust a simple remap, will improve the 1.8T no end and leav you wondring why you ever asked the question.

1.8T all the way!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.