V5 Overheating?

rowlers

2002 170BHP V5 with 76k.

Normally temp gauge sits bang on the center and moves very little. Today it crept up 1 mark past the center line after sitting in near stationary traffic for over an hour. Once I started moving it dropped and settled back in the center again.

Is this anything to worry about? Do I need to do any investigations?

cheers

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
Probably not if the traffic was that bad, but seeing as the weather isn't hot the fans should do the job. Do some basic checks. First check the coolant level in the expansion tank. If that's OK check the radiator fans. If they are not working check the fan fuse on top of the battery (they are prone to burning out). Beyond that I wouldn't worry. If it happens again or becomes a problem if the fans work and your coolant levels are fine you may need to check the water pump.

rowlers

'd sat for 45mins without the gauge moving, it wasn't until I switched AC (or it seemed to be) that the temp lifted?
Coolant seems OK, is there a quick way to check the fans? Or do I just idle until they kick in?
thanks

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
Both my fans come on and off with the aircon switch but it has the mime modification and I'm not sure if this is the normal. You could try this to start with to make sure both fans work, then switch aircon off and leave it at tickover to see if they come on by themselves.

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
Agree with Kewe to do the idle test. Can't remember if both spin on mine with aircon on, however if they spin at all that is a sign the fuse is OK. From cold with the aircon off they shouldn't spin, switch on the aircon and if one or more fans spin (it will be at slow speed) then the fuse is OK. To check the high-speed fan (the speed which cools the radiator) then wait until you've been on a drive and the engine is fully warmed up. As kewe says, leave at idle and switch of the aircon and wait until the fan kicks in at high speed. You can hear it too and if really warm it will continue to run for a bit after the engine is switched off.

My temp has never budged off the centre in ordinary use unless there's been a problem, but yours might have been a one-off and it still didn't edge towards the red, otherwise I would have been more concerned.

rowlers

cheers for the replies fellas.

just had it at idle, gauge right in the middle, no fans were spinning. turned ac on, still no fans. does this mean a faulty fuse? gauge wasn't creeping up, but then it was only idling for 5 mins once warmed up (I'd been out in it so it was at full temp)

It did not go anywhere near the red, fortunately!

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
It probably does - at least one of the fans should spin at slow speed when the aircon is on. It's certainly worth checking. Check the fuses in the holder on top of the battery. The pic here shows where mine was burnt out (it may not be so obvious). Rather than replace the whole fuse holder I just had my fan fuse rerouted (the red wires) and I haven't had a problem since:

Photo-0008.jpg

rowlers

right then cheers so far...
Do I need to do the "fan fix" mod, with the 1ohm 100w resistors? Or do I just need to check the rad fuse and replace if required?
Is the fuse in the same place on both the 150 & 170 version

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
I believe the fuse is in the same place on both. Visually check it first. Try a new one if there if there are signs of blackening or residues on the fuse blades. As stated, if that's the cause and the holder is damaged then like me you may get away with having the fuse rerouted, although I gather that others have had to go the more expensive route because the fans are overloading the fuse. Be sure that it's a burnt out fuse first though as we may be barking up the wrong tree.

rowlers

I'll have a look 2moro.
fingers crossed it is something simple!

rowlers

Finally got around to replying...
Checked the fuses out, and all are spotless. No signs of burning or overheating.

so whats next... Resistor for low speed fan fooked? Do I need to build the external resistor plate thingy?

rowlers

Great!
Looking in the engine bay there is not a lot of room to maneuver in there!

While I decide what to which way to go can I assume that the car is safe form overheating as long as I don't over do it with the A/C?
Cheers

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
Great!
Looking in the engine bay there is not a lot of room to maneuver in there!

While I decide what to which way to go can I assume that the car is safe form overheating as long as I don't over do it with the A/C?
Cheers

Should be, did you ever leave it long enough at idle to see if the fast speed fans came on?
If so and they never came on then also try to avoid any traffic jams ;)

rowlers

Didn;t leave it long enough at idle to see the fast fans come on, but they MUST be cos, I get stuck in traffic a bit at the moment and without AC on, the temp does not budge from 90.
I think I'm safe for now. I'll prob go with the nime controller looks easy to fit, far easier than the resisitor mod anyway!

Cheers all

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.