Vag-com

marv_n69

Standard'ish Cupra R 225
Jul 30, 2009
Sorry if this has already been covered a million times but i have just been reading a post on here about it.

I bought my Cupra R about 9months ago, all is running great BUT i would like to plug it into VAG-COM to see if it finds any faults.

With the car running ok i assume no faults would be found.......is this correct?

Next question - does anyone in Manchester area have VAG-COM.....i live near Awesome GTi if thats any good??

Many Thanks

Martin

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Car running ok doesn't necessarily mean no faults. The management looks after a whole load of other things that won't affect the car to any great degree. For example, mine has an error code that the drivers side electric window has an intermittent connection, and the heated wing mirror is open circuit.

So it would be worth getting it connected and checked, although probably not worth you paying the £30 odd fee for a garage to do it. Wait for someone who is Manchester based to lend a hand.

noodle

Sep 1, 2007
southampton
Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Those units take the place of a laptop, and I believe they can reset the fault codes with the push of a button. But if you have a laptop, it's cheaper to go for one of the Ebay leads and use the shareware VagCom.

They're certainly cheaper than taking it to a dealer to get the codes...

noodle

Sep 1, 2007
southampton
Those units take the place of a laptop, and I believe they can reset the fault codes with the push of a button. But if you have a laptop, it's cheaper to go for one of the Ebay leads and use the shareware VagCom.

They're certainly cheaper than taking it to a dealer to get the codes...

just looked at shareware and it seems rather limited!! is the other plug in option limited?

sambryant

RoadRunner meep meep
Mar 26, 2009
Bristol
cheap vagcom leads from ebay dont always work either. also you need the proper software in order to clear faults. full vagcom is good for logs and resetting tb ect, but the freeware vision doesnt do a great deal. like i said if you want just a fault code reader and something to clear the faults the the devise from ebay is more than perfect. also you can keep it in the car at all times.
FREEWARE VAGCOM DOESNT CLEAR FAULTS!!!

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2009
Hemel Hempstead
NIce one sam, might have to check one of those out. Does it just display one code at a time? Or if multiple ones have been thrown, does it look through them or anything? For the money, seems well worth it.

sambryant

RoadRunner meep meep
Mar 26, 2009
Bristol
It searches through different parts of the car, engine, at , srs and abs. It will give multicodes. U get a book with the fault code meanings aswel. Also you can erase the code at the click of a button :). If they cost £100 I would have still got one :D

Aug 1, 2009
Hemel Hempstead
Yeah, had a quick look on ebay for other ODB2 readers and you can get ones with a larger readout etc and the fault description, but thay are about £60. Will have to give this a shot. Might come in useful. Mind you, whats the purpose of resetting fault codes - will some corresponf to an EML warning? So you an turn it off and if it happens again, then another error gets thrown?

sambryant

RoadRunner meep meep
Mar 26, 2009
Bristol
i dont use mine to hide problems. if mine picks up a fault, i then find out what i need. then i will do the work myself and then i erase the fault :)

noodle

Sep 1, 2007
southampton
exactly. its one of those things you cant do without if you want to keep your car running perfectly, plus there are 4 VAG cars in my family

mikeholroyd

Hi, I'm in south Preston, and have full genuine Ross Tech VAGCOM lead and latest registered VAGCOM software.
You're welcome to come over anytime if you need the car scanning etc -- the eBay leads have very limited functionality, and you really need the car looking at with the genuine stuff
PM me if you want to come over.
Mike

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.