VAG K04 Turbo Range...

Mitchy

TTRS
Oct 12, 2004
Not specifically Leon related so i suppose it shouldn't be posted in here but question is, what cars in the VAG range use the same engines and turbos? (New breed)

I know the base 2.0t cars are 200bhp, although the new golf gti upto 210bhp? What have VW done to extract the additional 10bhp, and are all future 2.0t VAG based cars going to be in new 210bhp guise? What do these map upto?

Then i notice there is the 230/240/265/270 outputs? Do these all map to 310bhp? What are the standard differences between the 230/240/265 and 270 outputs, surely not just boost pressure, but then if they map to the same 310bhp, then perhaps?

The reason i am asking is im falling for the TT, not the base 200bhp model but the TTS model with 270bhp. Am i right in thinking this uses the exact same engine and turbo as the 230 golf and that when both cars are mapped the golf will jump 80bhp or so to 310bhp but the TTS, only 40bhp upto the same 310bhp? Is the engine and turbo in the TTS identical to that of the Golf/Cupra/S3?

I may feel a tad short changed if the answer and tuning potential of the TTS is the same as it is in the golf 230.

It's not all about out and out power im after now, but if im going to blow £35k on a TTS, i'd want it to perform a little better than a £20k golf.

And then we get onto the imminent releases of the RS3 and TTRS ranges. Are these both going to be using the same engine and turbo? A new 2.5t unit?? I was initially thinking of a TTS but may hold out for a TTRS if they are priced on the right side of £40k. With a map it will surely be on the heels of its bigger R8 brother.

Then there's the mention of the Golf R20, will this just be a tweaked Ed230, same output as a TTS, slightly more than the 265 in the S3

Confused or what.

Last edited:

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Main difference is using the newer TSI engine , better emisions and iirc more torquey , the golf R20 also uses 4 wheel drive as a direct replacement for the R32.

As far as i have found on the net the TTS engine is the same basic unit as the new golf and s3 (TSI) but has some slight changes sort of along the lines that the current edition 30 , S3 and cupra have.
Not sure if the cupra uses the new TSI engine though , some one else will be able to answer that.

As for power upgrades , im sure they will do similar figures to the TFSI engines of now but with a greaner engine.

If you were to buy a TTS with view of modding it , it would be in a different world to a modified equivalent edition 30 golf , a guy on the TT forums asked the same question standard TT v TTS and was told different league.

RickyD1975

Audi A6 2.0TDI 170 S-Line
Jan 2, 2008
North East
I believe the new Cupra will also use the TSI version of the engine later on this year.

The RS3 sounds interesting. I wonder if they will do this version in the Sportback 5-door body. Probably knowing my luck it will be 3-door only.

The new 2.5 5 Cylinder engine promises to bring back the good old engine sound of the original Quattro's from the 80's.....

I also fancy an Audi as my next car although I think I will be keeping the Cupra at least another 3 years or so.

Poverty

if you can afford to spunk 40k on a TT wait for the TT-RS.

Poverty

Its going to be more like 45k.. I have a deposit on one, but if its as much as there telling me then I think ill leave it..

checked with my audi sources, and they reckon around 50k for the UK. Exchange rate not doing the UK any favours.....

That is nissan GTR money, even if it does like to chew up and spit out its transmissions after 5000 miles lol

jonnyc

Sep 3, 2008
checked with my audi sources, and they reckon around 50k for the UK. Exchange rate not doing the UK any favours.....

That is nissan GTR money, even if it does like to chew up and spit out its transmissions after 5000 miles lol

Jeeeeeez! Ok, well may go and collect my deposit tomorrow if thats the case lol!

Chris_Cupra

Apr 17, 2007
Athens, Greece
Main difference is using the newer TSI engine , better emisions and iirc more torquey , the golf R20 also uses 4 wheel drive as a direct replacement for the R32.

As far as i have found on the net the TTS engine is the same basic unit as the new golf and s3 (TSI) but has some slight changes sort of along the lines that the current edition 30 , S3 and cupra have.
Not sure if the cupra uses the new TSI engine though , some one else will be able to answer that.

As for power upgrades , im sure they will do similar figures to the TFSI engines of now but with a greaner engine.

If you were to buy a TTS with view of modding it , it would be in a different world to a modified equivalent edition 30 golf , a guy on the TT forums asked the same question standard TT v TTS and was told different league.

I think that none between the S3 (3-dr & newer 5-dr sportback), Ed30, Cupra and TT-S have the recently released TSI engine (roller bearing high-pressure fuel pump at 150bar, instead of the piston-driven 110bar hpfp on the TFSI engines, just to mention one of the hundreds of differences), in other words, until present, none of the K04 turbo-bearing cars, in contast to the new K03-turbo bearing cars that have a TSi engine.
I think that the new Scirocco-R and Golf-R20 (4wd) will definitely have a newly designed TSI engine with K04 turbo ...:):p

Mitchy

TTRS
Oct 12, 2004

If it's priced at £50k they wont have a cat in hells chance of selling it as..

Porsche Cayman S at £44k
Porsche Boxster S at £40k

Used R8's will be coming into that kind of price range, along with porsche 996/997TT or as suggested Nissan GTR. M3 E92 a little cheaper so plenty of 'better' choices.

I have seen prices floating around at £40k for the TT-RS. Any more in my eyes and i do not think it would be worth it and it would certainly put me off.

Poverty

Porsche Cayman S at £44k

Used R8's will be coming into that kind of price range, along with porsche 996/997TT or as suggested Nissan GTR. M3 E92 a little cheaper so plenty of 'better' choices.

I have seen prices floating around at £40k for the TT-RS. Any more in my eyes and i do not think it would be worth it and it would certainly put me off.

€55,800 euros in germany for the TT-RS, and cars are cheaper there than the uk.....

Audi RS cars are always very expensive compared to the competition, but seem to old thei value better than their bmw M counterparts, like the m3.

it will still sell, audi seem to want to keep rs cars exclusive, and not dime a dozen like bmw m's

MUFFIN

ready 2 return ;o)
Dec 3, 2006
North of Penzance

Porsche Cayman S at £44k

Porsche Cayman S at £44k all day for me! All day every day...:)

RickyD1975

Audi A6 2.0TDI 170 S-Line
Jan 2, 2008
North East
but how bland and boring it looks?
will it be worth the 30k + price tag? on looks alone for me the answer is no.

True, although it's a pic of an S3. Hopefully they will give the RS3 some flared arches that ape the RS4. It should also have dual oval tailpipes at either side like the other RS models in the Audi range.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.