Vague Gearchange

Sipha

Hi all,

Just got myself an Ibiza GTi 16v, the car as a whole is beautiful, just 1 thing that bothers me is the gearchange, it feels very sloppy and vague, the throw feels long and its sometimes difficult to decipher where the next gear is ! The occasional crunch too from 2-3 and 4-5.

1 to 2 is fine, 2 to 3 is vague 3 to 4 is ok, and 4 to 5 is vague also.

Also the clutch is tough as hell to depress but I guess thats fairly normal with the cable shift.

What could be causing my sloppy and vague gearchange ?

Thanks all

Si :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 20, 2005
Telford ay it...
From what others have said the sloppy gear change seems to be a 'thing' with the 16v. You want to try an 8v clutch, im sure thats worse :(

Welcome by the way :D

jamiepyrite

Jan 21, 2007
What about a Quickshift? I've heard good and bad things about them though.. Some say it can sorts the problems out but others say it just magnifies the problem in the first place!

It's about £120 for the Ibiza set I think.

Sipha

Thanks guys :)

Could the stiff clutch just be that it needs a new cable maybe ? and the gearchange a dodgy linkage ? I'm guessing here :p

Si :D

jamiepyrite

Jan 21, 2007
Well, the Ibiza is known for its stiff clutch! It's one of the jokes around the forum "You know you own a mk2 Ibiza when your left leg is stronger than your right" :D

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
my 16v is terrible at only 28k miles, i find if im rolling around driving normally some gearchanges are dodgy.. but if your giving it some its genrally alot better.. so when i get pulled for speeding thats my excuse :D

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Recommend a B&M short shifter..... reduces the throw by a lot (think its 45%) and it feels much more direct when you change gears.

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
have u got a website link that sells the Short shift, i was unsure if you could have one with cables apposed to rod

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
got a mk4 golf box in mine now and came with a weight bolted to the change mechanism like the Leon etc top of this pic

had to hold a pipe out the way but it helps the throw a lot

Last edited:

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
have u got a website link that sells the Short shift, i was unsure if you could have one with cables apposed to rod

I havent sorry but you can find them on ebay and (beezagti) Mat got his off the US eBay for a lot cheaper.

I managed to buy mine from someone on here that fitted it to his Audi A3, his missus didn't like it and within 30mins it was back in the box.

The part number is 45106

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
I havent sorry but you can find them on ebay and (beezagti) Mat got his off the US eBay for a lot cheaper.

I managed to buy mine from someone on here that fitted it to his Audi A3, his missus didn't like it and within 30mins it was back in the box.

The part number is 45106

Just out of interst, how hard are they to fit??

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Sounds good. Any need of removal of bolts/screws that are probably going to be rotten to pieces?? As I haven't got a problem of DIY work, as long as it doesn't involve sheered of bolts and rounded screws.

Mig

No nothing like that, just remove the old one and place the B&M one in it's place... and then enjoy changing gears.

bullit

for the sloppyness of your gearchange, i would look under where the linkage rod ( the rod, from the bottom of the gearstick, to the gear linkage) goes through a bracket on the or, around the the steering rack, is a rubber bush, sometimes they pop them selves out, hence, sloppy gearchange, a right pain to get back in, woth a look,

Sipha

Thanks for the answers folks :)

for the sloppyness of your gearchange, i would look under where the linkage rod ( the rod, from the bottom of the gearstick, to the gear linkage) goes through a bracket on the or, around the the steering rack, is a rubber bush, sometimes they pop them selves out, hence, sloppy gearchange, a right pain to get back in, woth a look,

Sounds like somthing to check ! Bit unsure where you mean tho ? Could you post up a pic or diagram ? thanks matey :D

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.