VAQ Diff service

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
Has anyone attempted an oil change on cupra front diff? My cupra is coming up to 30k / 3years old which is the recommended service interval on the front diff.

From the below vid it looks straight forward but the car in the vid does have a sports downpipe so not sure if access is a problem with oem downpipe?

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018
Out of interest who informed you that the service interval is 3 years/ 30k miles?

My SEAT dealer told me 4 years regardless of mileage. My 280 will top 52k miles when it goes in next month but I've never been convinced that was correct.

The great misinformation from main dealers saga continues... :banghead2

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
3 yrs / 30k is what I've read online and appears to be the thoughts of DAP in vid above for EU vehicles but this is based on hear say and no specific details from VW. The manufacturer, BorgWarner, advise the oil is filled for life. Check golfgtiforum link for data sheet but worth noting that data sheet title is listed as data sheet example* (Clear as mud) :headhurt:

A couple of threads seem to suggest 3 yr / 30k.

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=278784.0

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthr...-Pack-VAQ-differential-oil-change-maintenance

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
The Seat Workshop maintenance document suggests every 3 years:

b68fe78c7d5ae231648fdf4eaafd37d5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018
The Seat Workshop maintenance document suggests every 3 years:

b68fe78c7d5ae231648fdf4eaafd37d5.jpg

An official SEAT maintenance guide and yet we all receive varying information from dealers... it's no wonder we are all confused.

So happy my oil will be a year overdue :cry:

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I was going to get the diff and DSG oil changed when back from my hols.

But if the manufacturer of the diff says the oil is for life why are we changing it?

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
Sooo the life long oil needs changing every 3 years OR every 4 years...for more life long oil that doesn’t need changing?

Deleted member 103408

Am I missing something, we have to change the oil every 3 years on the Diff, That is what the service sheet on both VW and SEAT Show,
DSG can get confusing because the smaller cars have a dry DSG Box, but the Cupra does not.

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
Yes I think we have to change oil in both diff and dsg every three years, plus filter in dsg box.

I rang my local indy for a price today on both diff and dsg oil changes who asked me to call which doesn't bode well :stars:

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
VAG Manchester quoted me £185 for it - I know it’s just an oil & filter change, so the oil and filter must be expensive to buy.

I think it was £185 for the DSG service too.

The DSG oil is about £120 for the 7l quantity needed for a DSG service so an hours labour on top must make up the total?

Though, SEAT want £299 for the DSG service.

Deleted member 103408

My local did it and these were the component cost's

Haldex Oil was 33.29 + V.A.T
DSG Oil was 87.00 + V.A.T
DSG Filter was 18.15 + V.A.T

Reactions: paddy6789

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
VAG Manchester quoted me £185 for it - I know it’s just an oil & filter change, so the oil and filter must be expensive to buy.

I think it was £185 for the DSG service too.

The DSG oil is about £120 for the 7l quantity needed for a DSG service so an hours labour on top must make up the total?

Though, SEAT want £299 for the DSG service.

Is that who you use for work paddy? I tried Chorley autovolk for a price but they wanted me to call to discuss, I haven't called back yet.

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
Is that who you use for work paddy? I tried Chorley autovolk for a price but they wanted me to call to discuss, I haven't called back yet.

I always use them - Racingline introduced me as they are the only Racingline OEM+ in the North West (well they were as of 12 months ago). Not sure if that’s still the case. But after speaking with them and using them a few times, my car only goes to them. Top guys and very honest.

raflo83

Dec 22, 2013
Wroclaw, Poland
as far as i know Cupra's haldex pump on front diff is the same part number as e.g. AWD haldex pump for golf R, S3 or cupra ST AWD. You need to change the oil every 3 years, but i red about problems with AWD haldex caused by clogged filter in the haldex pump. The conclusion was that not only oil replacement is important but also cleaning of the integrated filter. Check this for more information: https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/check-this-out-haldex-pump.348155/. I personally changed oil in Seat workshops, but they will definitely didn't clean the filter therefore I'm considering to repeat it with full cleaning.

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
Looks fairly easy to remove pump and clean filter. If access is OK it's something I'd attempt based on vid showing volvo haldex gen 5 service.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members