Veggie oil?

Dave H

Mar 12, 2007
Perth, Scotland
Anyone got and photos of the damage vegi oil does?

now i think someone is being lazy:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=199082&highlight=wvo+damage

I think a forum is a good talking place, however you surely can not do your research using a forum....
plenty of articles about....... plenty of experienced users........ plenty of positives and negatives......

ive made my own informed decision after plenty of reading. I plan to keep my car for a few more years and with high mileage on her, im not looking to ruin her insides, so Im waiting for further evidence (articles) and SVO to become relatively cheaper than diesel before considering this option again...

Last edited:

selfagg

Apr 27, 2008
Newark
So after reading as many forum entries and web sites as possible...

What does appear to be the cheapest and safest option for my 110bhp Non-PD diesel?

I would use bio-diesel, but unfortunately Lincoln is the city that environmentalists forgot!

Also, if a conversion is required for this cheap miracle fuel, where would the best place be to look?

Maybe I'm just stupid when it come to google. Thanks in advance for any help :)

GTV

Veggie powered TDi's
Feb 16, 2008
Cambridgeshire
I have two non PD TDi's both are running on SVO at a mix of 50% ie 50% veggie oil 50% diesel, no problems at all, no mods do to the car.
i just go down the cash and carry hand over £8.30 for 15L of veggie :)
I put 20L in at a time so taking that diesel round here is around £1.35 thats a saving of approx £16 per tank.

selfagg

Apr 27, 2008
Newark
Ok, might give that a try, but one more question...

Do you have to mix the diesel and oil together before it is put in the tank? Surely the two liquids would sit one ontop of the other due to the difference in thickness?

Thanks again.

GTV

Veggie powered TDi's
Feb 16, 2008
Cambridgeshire
No I mix in the tank, I put in the veggie first and then the diesel with no problems.
We did try upto to 75% Veggie and it started to slow the car down alittle so we went back to 50/50 as that makes no difference to mpg or proformace.

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
I have two non PD TDi's both are running on SVO at a mix of 50% ie 50% veggie oil 50% diesel, no problems at all, no mods do to the car.
i just go down the cash and carry hand over £8.30 for 15L of veggie :)
I put 20L in at a time so taking that diesel round here is around £1.35 thats a saving of approx £16 per tank.
recently?:drool: which one is that?:)

selfagg

Apr 27, 2008
Newark
After doing yet more research I've come across something called heater exchanges for SVO..

Any idea whether these are of any use and if they are required?

They all seem to be under £100 so if I go down this route, it'd be a good investment!

HJL

Jan 25, 2008
Ireland
I think they are heated fuel filters, so the fuel going into the car is warm and therefore less thick and therefore less damaging to the engine as it puts less pressure on pumps/filters etc.
These only start working when your car is running though, so start up will remain the same.

Im not sure there is a heated fuel filter for VAG, but i seen on a Merc 190 forum that they have some users with one.

selfagg

Apr 27, 2008
Newark
Oh, I see. I went o te local Tesco earlier today hough and veg oil was £3.50 for 3 litres, to be honest, thats only about 10p or so saving, I can't see 20p a litre justifying smelling like mcDonalds..

Space-Black

Jun 16, 2008
Northants
I love my car. It costs me a lot to fill up, but I can justify this against the expense of mending it after it breaks due to being filled up with veggie oil, and the guilt of knowing I had done this to it without having properly informed knowledge of what might happen. You've seen pictures of someone's car after using veggie oil. You've heard what could go wrong. Question is, can you afford it?

matt_t

??

i take it its a bad idea to use veg oil on newer cars. I have a 59 reg 1.6 tdi and was considering using it? Was gunna use 25% to 75% veg oil to diesel.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
you can try it and save a few quid now but you'll need to put that money to one side for when the engine enevitably fails and seat refuse your warrenty.

there will be a sticker on the fuel flap which should give you a clue.

TornadoRed

Aug 22, 2004
Saint Paul, Minnesota, USA
i take it its a bad idea to use veg oil on newer cars. I have a 59 reg 1.6 tdi and was considering using it? Was gunna use 25% to 75% veg oil to diesel.

It is a bad idea to use veggie oil in any direct-injection diesel, whether TDI or one from another manufacturer.

I understand the appeal of free or nearly-free fuel. But the amount you may save on fuel is not as much as you may lose because of damage to your engine and other components. Contamination of the engine oil is very likely, and veggie oil can do a lot of damage to engine and turbo internals.

Mobo

Jan 20, 2010
West midlands
sorry to bring up a old thread
Im getting a car which has the smart veg system
so it starts on diesel and turns to vegtable oil after it has reached a certain tempreture.
if not a good idea how do i remove the system
thanks