Very Very weird tail light problem.. please help!

benuk

Dec 12, 2008
UK
Ok so this all started when I noticed my drivers front sidelight and passenger side taillight (on body not boot) were out today.. no problem I thought and got new bulbs. Both fitted, drivers front sidelight worked fine. However on the first light setting the passenger side tail light on the body remained out. I tested the brakes (same light as body tail lights only they shine brighter) and to my surprise everything worked fine.. so the bulb lights up when brake but not when tail lights are switched on.. the opposite side works fine.

I know they were working a few days ago as I have a pic of the back of the car (trying to get picks of lowering) and they are working.

hmm.. just had a thought, before I go any further and embarrass myself by listing voltmeter readings from each pins from either side.. are there separate fuses for taillight operation AND brake operation for BOTH sides of the car?, I didn't consider this as the light is working as a brakelight just not as a taillight.. and the opposite side is working as both a taillight and a brakelight..

thanks in advance..

taillights.JPG

benuk

Dec 12, 2008
UK
ok from looking at the fuse layout in the manual there are not separate fuses, so that rules that one out.

Here are the volt meter readings for anyone who understands them. All readings are when headlights are on dipped setting and not braking.

Passenger Side (one that does not work when on tail light, but lights up when braking)

PIN 1 (red/black)
PIN 2 (purble/black) 12V
PIN 3 (brown)
PIN 4 (while/black)

Drivers side (works)

PIN 1 (black/green)
PIN 2 (brown)
PIN 3 (red/black)
PIN 4 (red/white) 12V

joop200789

Jul 5, 2009
Barnsly
I would say you've got the wrong type of bulb in the tail light :)

second that

or you forced it in upside down easly done doesnt take much effort to fit them wrong

, that the pins are offset and they are quite right for the tail

you just bought a tail light not stop/tail

benuk

Dec 12, 2008
UK
:redface:

thanks guys, feel kinda stupid. I forced it in the wrong way in the dark!! Oh dear. At least it's sorted now!

benuk

Dec 12, 2008
UK
hmm go tonight when I get home tonight I notice that the passenger side main beam has just blown!!!! :censored:

3 bulbs in two days in very different places! :ban: bizarre.

unlucky or what..

Feb 28, 2008
Scotland
i had a similar problem but sidelight worked brake didnt, so i bought new bulbs, no luck, so found out by messing about the collection was dodgy but i luckily have a spare set of lights so i swapped the connector part over and voila

RaggedLob

The worst is yet to come
Mar 29, 2009
Thatcham, Berkshire
It's a dual filament bulb in the rear isn't it? Probably already said but check one isn't broken :)

Halfords sell 3 different types of those size, so make sure the connector pins on each side of the bulb are in the right places

P.S i work there :D

benuk

Dec 12, 2008
UK
It's a dual filament bulb in the rear isn't it? Probably already said but check one isn't broken :)

Halfords sell 3 different types of those size, so make sure the connector pins on each side of the bulb are in the right places

P.S i work there :D

Yeah I had forced the bulb in the wrong way around in the dark :redface: (or at least that was my excuse)

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.