VFM Suspension upgrade on an LC

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Before I get flamed, I know this is a well covered topic and I have searched loads, but I have just got myself so confused I dont really know what to think.

After my brake upgrade this month, I am looking to sort out the suspension and handling on my chipped Leon Cupra.

Suspension-wise, I dont see the point in adjustable as it will get set and stay there permanently.
A drop is nice, but I dont want anything thats over the top, ie 35mm is probably all I would want.
I want a good brand and something thats a vast improvement over std, but not too expensive. I have seen Ruddmeisters review on his kit, robdons and others.

I have seen a Koni set for around £300 (i think - not really sure what I am looking at tho)

Has anyone got any recommendations for a kit around this price that would suit my needs?
I am predicting that suspension fitting by a garage would be several hours work, so expecting a bill of around £200-350 for fitting. Is this realistic?

Even if its just a link to a thread containing the ideal solution it would help.
Cheers in advance guys.

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
pabs, get fitting done for a lot less (probably a bacon sarnie and cuppa tea) if you van get one of the regulars here to fit it, then 35 quid to get your alignment and tracking etc done by someone with a hunter system or similar.
btw im thinking along the same lines, might go for fk's around the 3-400 range.

adaml

Jan 7, 2004
Leeds
Visit site
I've got the FK kit but I can't tell you much about it atm 'cos it's sat in a box in my house. In a few week's time I should be able to give you more info.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
ah brendy, let me know how you get on.
How long does suspension take to fit? Probably about 2-3hrs guesstimate?
I dont want to spend too much - cant vouch for large amount on suspension as its a road car, probably never to go on a track (or 1 day/year max i recon)
Just want something better than std.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
suggest what they like, but I'd fit OE ones because they're cheaper & do the job (yours may or may not be OK mileage dependant)

but they're 'expensive top mounts'

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
top mount bearings,if the suspension is knackered,chances are so are they,big rubber bung with a bearing and spring cap,standard stuff would be ok,but there may be uprated poly ones out there(golf 4 probably)

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
ok then guys - sorry to drag up an old thread here but thought it better than starting a new one....

Awesome gti do a Koni Sports suspension kit for £298. Is it worth going for something like this? It sounds good to me...

And can you buy those bump-stops seperately? Do you need anything else with this kit? Just planning my suspension upgrade for early next year, money depending (or deal depending ;) )

EDIT: I have searched the Suspension/Handling forum and have read loads of threads there too.......

EDIT: Whats the real difference between the FK AK Coilovers and the FK Hightec ones at about £70 more?

Last edited:

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Pabs said:
ok then guys - sorry to drag up an old thread here but thought it better than starting a new one....

Awesome gti do a Koni Sports suspension kit for £298. Is it worth going for something like this? It sounds good to me...

And can you buy those bump-stops seperately? Do you need anything else with this kit? Just planning my suspension upgrade for early next year, money depending (or deal depending ;) )

EDIT: I have searched the Suspension/Handling forum and have read loads of threads there too.......

EDIT: Whats the real difference between the FK AK Coilovers and the FK Hightec ones at about £70 more?

Bump stops are included in the Koni Sports kit, Pabs.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
DPJ said:
Bump stops are included in the Koni Sports kit, Pabs.

I know, but can you buy them seperately?
And they say they have a lifetime guarantee - is that only applicable to the first car they are installed to?

stoneyfordNI

GGG GGG GGGIGITYYY
Jan 9, 2005
Lisburn NI
as far as i know , the way koni word it is ( for as long as u own the car ) , i have koni shocks n spax springs on my ibiza4, very good , altho lower adjustmaent on the rear would be good , but i found awesome gti to be the cheapest fella

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members