Viable headunit options (mk3 cupra 280 MIB1)

ray

Jan 7, 2016
So my other half has a new civic sport with car play and well I’m overly jealous and gutted I didn’t consider the headunit before buying my Cupra.

So what is a viable option? By viable I mean not overly expensive and works with all the things I current have (DAB, steering wheel controls etc) and the biggest thing is still being able to set it to comfort/sport/cupra.

Updating to a newer unit would be nice but I wouldn’t spend all the money and effort to ‘only’ get an early MIB2 where as the MIB2.5 is looking at around £1000 all in which I’m not willing to pay..

I have seen the golf mk7.5 “discovery” for around £200 however I highly doubt this will fit in mine, although I can’t find any info to confirm yes or no.

So apologies as I’m sure it’s been discussed plenty but I can’t find many people documenting how they went down the aftermarket route.

Any advice is more than appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
So my other half has a new civic sport with car play and well I’m overly jealous and gutted I didn’t consider the headunit before buying my Cupra.
So what is a viable option? By viable I mean not overly expensive and works with all the things I current have (DAB, steering wheel controls etc) and the biggest thing is still being able to set it to comfort/sport/cupra.
Updating to a newer unit would be nice but I wouldn’t spend all the money and effort to ‘only’ get an early MIB2 where as the MIB2.5 is looking at around £1000 all in which I’m not willing to pay..
I have seen the golf mk7.5 “discovery” for around £200 however I highly doubt this will fit in mine, although I can’t find any info to confirm yes or no.
So apologies as I’m sure it’s been discussed plenty but I can’t find many people documenting how they went down the aftermarket route.
Any advice is more than appreciated.

It would have to be a Seat MIB2 STD or High unit (I don't think there is such a thing as MIB2.5 for Seat).
CP (component protection) would have to be removed and suitable coding for your car.
If you have the 6.5" screen and navigation and willing to spend £600 I would recommend this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Seat-OEM-Part-Easy-Connect-Navigation-System-MIB-2-with-DAB-no-SIM/293427076098?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 .

Reactions: ray

ray

Jan 7, 2016
It would have to be a Seat MIB2 STD or High unit (I don't think there is such a thing as MIB2.5 for Seat).
CP (component protection) would have to be removed and suitable coding for your car.
If you have the 6.5" screen and navigation and willing to spend £600 I would recommend this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Seat-OEM-Part-Easy-Connect-Navigation-System-MIB-2-with-DAB-no-SIM/293427076098?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 .

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately i think lines is 5.7” so slight smaller, plus £600 is outside of what I want to spend. I would love to but it’s not worth that much to me..!

I thought that the new 8” screens were MIB2.5? Though exactly why I’m asking as I’m quite clueless about it. :)

Thanks again

ray

Jan 7, 2016
Aftermaket options:

Alpine ILX 702Leon (not cheap)

and https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33044215021.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.321b2e0eS4xhMm the Android option. I have one in my FR (minus the optional car play dongle) and it fully retains steering wheel controls and car settings, plus you can have apps like Torque in your Head unit.

I seen the alpine and it’s a lovely bit of kit but all I gain is the car play so for the price it’s too much.

The second unit looks really nice though and only around £300 which is far more viable.

Does the standard unit have DAB or is that an extra? Also does your FR have any vehicle settings like sport mode etc and do they still work ok?

Thanks a lot for the help.

Ninja10R

Dec 20, 2010
Athens, Greece
www.trackbike.gr
Does the standard unit have DAB or is that an extra? Also does your FR have any vehicle settings like sport mode etc and do they still work ok?

Thanks a lot for the help.

I don't use DAB, but reading in the description, that is a +45 USD option. Yes, my FR has vehicle settings (driving modes etc) and they all work without a fault.

ray

Jan 7, 2016
Sorry it’s a bit of a clusterphuck if a website so didn’t go that far down!

Good to hear about the driving modes, does yours have a button on the centre console for driving modes that when pushed brings up the options or are these just changed via the screens settings?

Sorry for never ending questions, I’d hate to change it and be annoyed about not looking it up..

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Can I ask why are the 8” screens showing up so much cheaper and can they be fitted into mine?
This one states it comes with the infotainment system so I’m assuming that’s all I would need to make it work? (After removing the Cp of course)
Thanks in advance,

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/254398050691

You need to make sure that it comes with the MIB2 unit in the glovebox as it doesn't show it, also make sure that it has the satnav function as I think some variants may not have it. It would be good if the seller showed pics of it working as many sellers do.
The screen itself doesn't have CP but the MIB unit does.
The 8" screen can be fitted to your dash but needs some cutting behind.
Do you have options like Seat Sound? If you do then this would need to be activated/coded to the 'new' MIB2 unit.

Last edited:

ray

Jan 7, 2016
You need to make sure that it comes with the MIB2 unit in the glovebox as it doesn't show it, also make sure that it has the satnav function as I think some variants may not have it. It would be good if the seller showed pics of it working as many sellers do.
The screen itself doesn't have CP but the MIB unit does.
The 8" screen can be fitted to your dash but needs some cutting behind.
Do you have options like Seat Sound? If you do then this would need to be activated/coded to the 'new' MIB2 unit.

They’ve confirmed that it comes with both units, ok so this option seems more viable however I’m still stumped at why it’s so cheap when some options to upgrade to mib2 are £600??

Even more confused now haha.

Ninja10R

Dec 20, 2010
Athens, Greece
www.trackbike.gr
Sorry it’s a bit of a clusterphuck if a website so didn’t go that far down!

Good to hear about the driving modes, does yours have a button on the centre console for driving modes that when pushed brings up the options or are these just changed via the screens settings?

Sorry for never ending questions, I’d hate to change it and be annoyed about not looking it up..

Yes, i have a button on the console that brings up the options.

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
They’ve confirmed that it comes with both units, ok so this option seems more viable however I’m still stumped at why it’s so cheap when some options to upgrade to mib2 are £600??

Even more confused now haha.

MIB2 High would be £600+ , MIB2 Std less, if you buy a used MIB2 Std make sure it comes with the SD card for navigation.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.