Vibration at 75/80mph+

nath86

Mar 23, 2013
Newquay, cornwall
As above im getting vibration/shaking at around 80mph, mostly through the steering wheel although i can feel it through the seat too. Im not able to drive through said vibration.
Ive had the wheels re-aligned and balanced and changed track rod ends. Is there any thing else i can check before i take it to a garage.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
As above im getting vibration/shaking at around 80mph, mostly through the steering wheel although i can feel it through the seat too. Im not able to drive through said vibration.
Ive had the wheels re-aligned and balanced and changed track rod ends. Is there any thing else i can check before i take it to a garage.

Have you jacked it up and checked the wheels for play? Any bearing like noise? Wheels or tyres buckled?

Reactions: MXP2090

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
On my previous MK2 Leon I had an issue like this and it turned out to be the insides of the tyres had turned into 50p's so from the outside it looked fine but on closer inspection the alignment I had done had solved it for the future but the damage had been done on the current tyres...

The noise also got worse the faster I went over 70ish...

Reactions: kanyewest

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW
as above, check your tyres! i had a rumble above 35mph and it was because i had bumps on my tyre

i actually got the damage on the way to the doncaster meet :( but it prompted me to get new tyres, so every cloud

nath86

Mar 23, 2013
Newquay, cornwall
On my previous MK2 Leon I had an issue like this and it turned out to be the insides of the tyres had turned into 50p's so from the outside it looked fine but on closer inspection the alignment I had done had solved it for the future but the damage had been done on the current tyres...

The noise also got worse the faster I went over 70ish...
No noise just shaking/vibration

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Can you elaborate on this not heard the term before

It means your rear alignment is way out, when you had it checked was it a full 4-wheel job or just the front tracking?

Also if you've had the wheels balanced did you ask them if there was any issues?
I've got one buckled wheel, the tyre place told me it was buckled and they balanced it as best they could.

Reactions: Legojon

gurpz94

Feb 12, 2019
I've got the same as OP. No play in bearings/bushes and I've got new tyres only done 500 miles if that

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015

nath86

Mar 23, 2013
Newquay, cornwall
Yea hopefully getting a call bk on that over the weekend. As passenger wheel has an obvious flat spot and a slight flat spot on driver side.. dont seem to be many places that do it round here

nath86

Mar 23, 2013
Newquay, cornwall
Unfortunately not got to the bottom of this..... long shot but does anyone on here live around cornwall and have a set of wheels i can borrow so i can eliminate the issue being mine

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.