Vibration at 75/80mph+

Kenan

Dec 14, 2018
I'm in Exmouth, Devon.

What about swapping the space saver tyre for each wheel one at a time?

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Kenan

Dec 14, 2018
Good point, must be someone local. Where in Cornwall are you?

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Sharpy

This place has cost me a fortune....
Oct 2, 2018
Drive shaft?? They have a weight to balance them I’ve seen that come off or be damaged before leading to a vibration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

t121anf

May 14, 2004
Drive shaft?? They have a weight to balance them I’ve seen that come off or be damaged before leading to a vibration.

do you have a picture of what you are referring to?

Sharpy

Oct 2, 2018
Kinda like this...
ee2d336b15782822047bb93161306f4e.jpg

Not all cars have them and I can’t be sure if your would or not but might be worth an ask around?

Sharpy

Oct 2, 2018
Actually, I dont think the mk2 has them, could it be a bent shaft?

xillius200

Oct 17, 2019
I'm hoping you get it sorted, have had the exact same issue for over 2 years, wheel alignments and tyres have done nothing to help it, they make it slightly better but always vibration. After a while it gets on your nerves.

Had thought this wasn't an issue for most people with Leon's but guess it turns out it is

xillius200

Oct 17, 2019
Tbh its taken my enjoyment out of driving the car.. do you get it at the same speeds if i solve it ill post here

Yep, at exact same speeds around from 75 it's light, worst around 80/82 funny enough not sure if it's same for you while it's probably not great if it push it to 95 it seems to go away after feeling like the steering wheel will fall off. All other speeds below are fine. But it certainly as you said takes the fun out of driving the car...and is a pain when you want a nice smooth drive down the dual carriage way

steve7786

Apr 27, 2013
I've got the same problem with mine, I've never got to the bottom of it. I wondered if it was the wheels I have. I've has lots of new tyres and balancing done. I've changed the front shocks after a snapped spring. Changed the drop links too.

nath86

Mar 23, 2013
Newquay, cornwall
Well so far ive eliminated
Track rod ends
Wheels and tyres ( borrowed a set off a friend)
Alignment
Balancing
And just changed passenger drive shaft and its still there
No play in the wheels so dont think its wheel bearings
May ring garage on monday and see if i can get it booked in and have all the bushes/mounts etc checked over too

Reactions: steve7786

Silverfoxxxx

Sep 27, 2018
I have the exact same problem and so far it’s cost me a fortune and it hasn’t got any worse, it only became apparent after fitting my B8 kit with sportlines, the garage say due to it tightening up the suspension it had unearthed this issue but they can’t get to the bottom of it after now several days of labour.

gurpz94

Feb 12, 2019
I've got this same problem, when my garage was doing my clutch they noticed one of my wishbone bushes had 'fallen in' on itself on one side, whilst the other was fine. I'm going to get them changed over the next few weeks and will let you know if it fixes it for me.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members