Virgin Group reported to bein talks to buy Honda F1 team

ian_cupra

loves getting his fingers into everything, could be interesting if he does get it though :D

warren_cox

Back from the dead
It will never be allowed. The Government will step in and ban Branson from taking part! He couldn't get Northern Rock, he couldn't get the National Lottery (over a supposedly corrupt Camelot if the rumours are true).

I often wonder why he's so out of favour. I think he upset the BA group and ever since then the big wigs who are in charge of it have put him outside of the 'circle of inner trust' as the Govt block him at every turn. I'd trust him over most of the established set any day.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
I think in this case Warren, the Government won't have any say in the matter. With Northern Rock and Camelot and BA there were all Goverenment interests...many plams being greased!!

I doubt the British Government are aiming to enter a Formula One team, but you never know! :D

warren_cox

Back from the dead
I think in this case Warren, the Government won't have any say in the matter. With Northern Rock and Camelot and BA there were all Goverenment interests.

All I will say is Bernie Ecclestone and Labour are more than casual friends (donations anyone :whistle:).

Seeing that Branson is so out of favour with the Whitehall brigade I wouldn't put it past someone trying to throw a spoiler for him. You'd pray this would not be the case given the climate in F1, but the affiliations run deep at the top of the 'power stakes' food chain, and you've only got to upset someone from the social elite power base once to be on the back foot for life.

Like you say, I hope economics takes its course and it goes ahead.

Craig Senior

I've been Tango'd
May 24, 2004
Yorkshire
There is a rumour going round that he approached Honda 10 days before they announced they were quitting but lost interest during negotiations, seems they have now got back intouch.

The whole Honda up for sale thing has been handled very badly from what I have been reading. The person vetting the buyers is also trying to put together his own Management buy-out:confused:

I also read yesterday that there is a possibility of a hostile take over, they want the team but not the management.:whistle:

All sorts of rumours, claims and denials and the clock keeps on ticking........

Edit:

Pitpass are now saying that it could be a joint bid from David Richards (Prodrive) and Richard Branson (Virgin), well 2 dicks in charge couldn't do any worse than the last lot:D

There has been a sighting of 2 Honda F1 transporters heading towards Dover. Pre-season test maybe?

Last edited: