VT5 is on

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
Surprisingly potent considering it's not been remapped. Estimated bhp of circa 230 at the moment. Power delivery of this turbo is awesome! And I'm sure it will be more so when it actually gets tuned for it. High pitched shrill whistle, which actually continues quietly out the exhaust, even on tickover. :D

Oh, and the camshaft is in too - no idea what, where, how, when, why - but it feels really nice. The fact it's essentially had a cambelt service too seems to make it feel quite "taut" - Remap will not be for another 5 weeks+, but I'm thankful I can drive it normally with the new hardware on. :)

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
So come on tell more....

This is what I eventually want to end up with. :D

What are you running at the moment?

FMIC and all that jazz....

So you got VT5 and injectors plus a manifold put on??? Anything else?

timbotdi

Oct 18, 2006
Ditto that - more info please!

Have you had the injectors changed / upgraded?

When does the turbo fully spool up? I estimate 2.5K for the VT2, reving to 5.5K.

What are the details on the cam - cost, estimated gains, etc..?

Oh and DevonMikeyBoy - when you come to upgrading your turbo, do ya fancy selling me your VT5 on the cheap!? ;o)

T

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
Jason is running with stock injectors as he already has a propane kit that can add plenty of extra fuel. I am sure he will soon be on site to tell you himself but i think he had fitted was a VT5 with new manifold,a reprofiled cam and having or getting NOS fitted.

timbotdi

Oct 18, 2006
So he's gonna end up with a VT5, Propane & NOS powered 2WD Fabia!? And we thought you were crazy, even with 4-Motion transmission...

What are you both aiming for, BHP / torquewise? Is there a point (other than broken car) where you'll stop tuning?

Also interested to know what kind of times you're both getting - surely low down traction in the Fabia must be a problem - any plans to fit an ATB diff?

0-60 / 20-100 estimates would make for a good gauge... Mike I know you rarely cain it from a standing start, but you must have a rough 0-60 estimate?

I reckon I've decided what my next car is... A4 Cabriolet 3.0 V6 TDI 4WD - looks stunning, and after a couple of visits to Gloucester, I should imagine, start to nudge the RS4 for performance.

I'd like to think that 400BHP & 500lb/ft is doable from the V6 TDI without having to go down the NOS / propane routes - that'd do me! ;o)

T

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
So he's gonna end up with a VT5, Propane & NOS powered 2WD Fabia!? And we thought you were crazy, even with 4-Motion transmission...

What are you both aiming for, BHP / torquewise? Is there a point (other than broken car) where you'll stop tuning?

Also interested to know what kind of times you're both getting - surely low down traction in the Fabia must be a problem - any plans to fit an ATB diff?

0-60 / 20-100 estimates would make for a good gauge... Mike I know you rarely cain it from a standing start, but you must have a rough 0-60 estimate?

I reckon I've decided what my next car is... A4 Cabriolet 3.0 V6 TDI 4WD - looks stunning, and after a couple of visits to Gloucester, I should imagine, start to nudge the RS4 for performance.

I'd like to think that 400BHP & 500lb/ft is doable from the V6 TDI without having to go down the NOS / propane routes - that'd do me! ;o)

T

I have to admit i don`t envy Jason as traction in his car is going to be a nightmare. I could run my PD Cupra at 275bhp with everything maxed out and even at a daily 248bhp traction was a big problem that an LSD will help but not sort out. 4WD is deffinately the way to go. Only goal i had was to get over 300bhp so i have done that. Car is a daily 317bhp now and waiting for a new clutch so i can alter the fueling top end to match the NOS and maybe get 340-350bhp then its bigger injectors and a different turbo setup if it ever gets past the design stage so maybe 400bhp.

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
Yep - I have FMIC "and all that jazz" ;)

VT5 turbo matched to machined hi flow exhaust manifold, modified downpipe as turbo exit is bigger. reprofiled camshaft (did cambelt, metal waterpump, etc whilst there)

NOS is currently waiting to be fitted. I did a rough "timed in my head" 60 to 90 in 4th, and I made it less than 4 seconds. :D And that's with no NOS, no LPG, and running my old map. The turbo is so cool.

Peloquin diff is also bought, awaiting fitting - that won't help with traction in 1st and 2nd - I can kiss that goodbye, but my car is never going to be a 0-60 demon - no point. It will be a 30 to 100 demon. :D

Ibiza Evo 2

220,8hp and 351lbs/ft
Jun 1, 2004
get-me.to
VERY NICE project [B)] :clap:
Realy like what you're doing with the Fab ;)

If i had the money i would probably do the same but with no propane and bigger injectors instead.I will be leaving the parental house soon so there's no more money going to the FR :( :( (except for the 17" TT paraboles)

timbotdi

Oct 18, 2006
Sounds like a fantastic setup Jason - I'm guessing you'll be one happy bunny when it's all working together.

So what gains are to be had from the cam, and dare I ask how much it cost? Allard haven't got it listed on their website as yet...

Same question for the diff really... Where did you get it from? How much did it cost?

Cheers,

T

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
I don't even know the cam "price" all in as it was part of a job lot price of materials (which had turbo and manifold in too) and there was just a lump of labour too. As a guide, due to needing 8 new cam followers as well, I would estimate the all in price is circa £500-£550, maybe a bit more due to labour (I don't know how it was split) There's all kinds of things though - obviously the cambelt has to come off, reset timing, injectors need re-calibrating, etc etc.

For performance, I have noticed the car lacks in it's prior ability to just "pull" (not "accelerate") from around 1100/1200 rpm. It seems much happier just pottling along at around 1400-1500rpm. I suspect this could be the cam. Obviously, the benefits higher up are huge. Will happily rev to the redline now. It just needs remapping now - I've changed so much since my original tune-up.

The diff came from a chap in USA. Think he has a website called www(something)scirocco.com. I can look it up. Cost me $975.00, and got hammered for about £120 import taxes. Still - at current £:$ exchange rates, it was a bargain at around £600.

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
£600 for a diff :think: sounds good.

Once Ive had the bathroom done in my place, I need to get saving for this piece of kit.

VT5, Manifold, Diff and Injectors.

Also what clutch are you currently using? I assume the Sach clutch wouldnt be able to handle a VT5 runnin ~250bhp? So maybe an Allards style one like Mike had on his cupra would be better?

timbotdi

Oct 18, 2006
Hmmm... seems like the cam is an idea for the not so immediate future.

£600 for the diff is mind-blowingly cheap!? If you can let me know the full web address / contact details, then I'll get on the ordering case...

Cheers,

T

timbotdi

Oct 18, 2006
Just been searching around trying to find that site - turns out Quaife UK supply direct for circa £550+VAT, ie. £650. Gonna give them a bell this afternoon, and work out which one of the various engine / gearbox codes will do the job...

Exxxxxxxxxxxxcellent! ;o)

T

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
good job,,, but I want to see what comes out when the car is mapped, then we can start to see the real gains,,,

btw, with all these turbos flying around, is there someone willing to sell me a [not knackered preferably] vnt17 on the cheap??

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
I do hope you have one at least. ;)

From what I understand as well, the peloquin is a much better diff than the quaife setup, especially for a VAG use. :D The place I got mine from is: http://www.thescirocco.com/peloquin.html

aren't peloquin and quaife basically the same thing?? I heard that one of the two companies patented the diff only for certain areas of the world and so the other basically copied the diff for the other areas,,, :cartman:

is this true?

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
did a quick google search and it confirms this,,, the peloquin is a direct copy of the quaife,,, only difference is price and the fact that quaife gives you a total warranty on the diff, no matter under what condition it breaks,,,

didn't find anything on the patent thing tho,,,

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.