VW massaging emission figures

Karmann_65

Sep 7, 2016
Got my letter from Seat to get the software update and I chose to ignore it. A couple of weeks later I got another letter saying that I hadn't booked the car in yet. :handbags:

My car is a 2012 Sport Tech TDi 140 and I didn't know about any "opt out" so booked the car in. The job took an hour and a half but some of that time was spent washing my already clean car (I'd washed and hoovered it out that morning). They also completed an obligatory health check I hadn't asked for. After failing to find any faults they left it outside to dry streaky in the sun. :(

As a token gesture,they presented me with a Seat holdall bag complete with Seat keyring, Seat drink bottle and some sort of towel sized Seat cloth for being "a valued customer". :think:

It's been two weeks now and I can honestly say there's absolutely no discernible difference in either performance or economy.

That's my experience so far and hope it gives an element of confidence that the job is nothing to fear.

Druid58

Sep 28, 2016
Cheats

Had my letter for my SuperCopa, booked online into SMC in Woking - they called tonight basically saying that I need to have it collected and delivered by a closer dealer (Croydon)....I'm the customer, where I live its quicker to get to and from Woking than Croydon - am a little bit peeved. I get no compensation for this - presuming my car would have lost resale value.

davep10000

Feb 14, 2014
Had my update done yesterday (2013 143 BHP Ecomotive) and havent noticed any difference yet but only done about 70 miles.
Economy still the same on a 'standard' run that I can compare it to.

Interesting that my DPF regen has always happened quite frequently from day1.

(Also often get random tyre pressure low warning and oil low warnings when all ok).

Will report if any longer term differences as a result of update.
Dave.

PS - I had SEAT road assistance do mine for me at home as I objected to driving 1 hour each way to nearest dealer.

Last edited:

johnnysmith

Jul 25, 2014
I’m still waiting to be asked to book in for the work to be done.

I’ve had two generic letters saying sorry and what work needs to be done and that the aim was ‘Q3 2016’. Well, we’re now in Q4 and I’ve heard nothing more.

Should I contact my local SEAT garage? I’ve got a 1.6 TDI Ibiza

Last edited:

sharefe

Nov 23, 2014
West London
I’m still waiting to be asked to book in for the work to be done.

I’ve had two generic letters saying sorry and what work needs to be done and that the aim was ‘Q3 2016’. Well, we’re now in Q4 and I’ve heard nothing more.

Should I contact my local SEAT garage? I’ve got a 1.6 TDI Ibiza

Am in same boat with the letters the dealer says wait for the confirmation letter.

Apparently my car needs a part to be changed not just software update

Last edited:

stan_pt

Aug 26, 2014
Well in Portugal isn t better... I Dind receive nothing from seat. My Car 1.6 TDI 6j 2011
And what is known is that if the car as been modified they don t work on the car and the car will not Pass in the Inspection.

decadent

Apr 1, 2012
Herts
Mine is now booked in for a service in a couple of weeks and I declined the update. I was asked why and gave my reasons and the dealer is fine with that and respects my wishes.

Until VAG release technical notes on exactly how they are changing the parameters of the car I'm not getting it done. To lower emissions they have to take something away from somewhere (power?) or force an emissions related component to work harder (EGR/DPF?). You don't get anything for free in life.

My money is on making the EGR/DPF/emission control systems work harder as no one will be able to prove the software change was the cause of those components (early) failure.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.