VW TDi Emissions software scandal

concerned cat

Nov 30, 2014
Huddersfield UK
Apparently Leonardo Di Caprio has stated that he wants the rights to make a film of the scandal. Early days yet & I'm astounded he's acted so quickly. Seemingly he wants the title to be "Emissions Impossible". I'll get my coat.............

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Apparently Leonardo Di Caprio has stated that he wants the rights to make a film of the scandal. Early days yet & I'm astounded he's acted so quickly. Seemingly he wants the title to be "Emissions Impossible". I'll get my coat.............

I'd heard it was Schwarzenegger, with a reboot of "True Lies"...... :D

Pinky

Sep 27, 2015
I'll be quite honest, the way some of these legal firms are shaping up to jump at it I find massively bang out of order.

I'm pretty sure they'll be doing it for the good of humanity and to have sense of value in their lives each day. It won't be about money. If there was an excess of funds that they found themselves with, no doubt a suitable charity cause would see the benefit.

Balddee2

Oct 10, 2009
Yeah, I'm sure that's the logical explanation!! :)

To be honest i think the legal companies should be screwing VW for everything theyve got. Deliberately manipulating results to the extent of the NOx levels being up to 40 times the legal limit, when they recon NOx is a major contributor to killing 20,000+ people a year, then thats seriously bad practice. Its not like they were just over the limit and took the easy option to get it within. A good number of VW folk should be going to prison and the company should be sued to buggery in my view, and i own a vw and a seat!

golfhappy

Sep 1, 2015
Scotland
Imagine a world without the VAG group!....a barren world lost in a sea of grey scale coloured astra's! Then there's the French cars, well at least we'd become good with electrics :)

currie09

Mar 22, 2015
To be honest i think the legal companies should be screwing VW for everything theyve got. Deliberately manipulating results to the extent of the NOx levels being up to 40 times the legal limit, when they recon NOx is a major contributor to killing 20,000+ people a year, then thats seriously bad practice. Its not like they were just over the limit and took the easy option to get it within. A good number of VW folk should be going to prison and the company should be sued to buggery in my view, and i own a vw and a seat!

They have to sue electric car companies then for the way the manufacture the batteries. They cars have produced more crap into the environment than your car will in a long while before it's even driven of the forecourt.
Then you could sue cigarette manufactures because they are responsible for who knows how many deaths a year. But some may say that a life choice, well so is buying a car of any kind that gives out emissions.
It's to easy to just pick on one and say lets sue them when there are other companies that do the same or even worse.
I'm not meaning to have a dig at anyone I just feel this whole thing has gone to far with people looking to make money off something that if no one had told them they wouldn't give a crap about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pinky

Sep 27, 2015
Screwing VW for money wont solve the issue. Unless you value money over everything else. Better that VW resolve what they did and any consequences of it.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
They have to sue electric car companies then for the way the manufacture the batteries. They cars have produced more crap into the environment than your car will in a long while before it's even driven of the forecourt.
Then you could sue cigarette manufactures because they are responsible for who knows how many deaths a year. But some may say that a life choice, well so is buying a car of any kind that gives out emissions.
It's to easy to just pick on one and say lets sue them when there are other companies that do the same or even worse.
I'm not meaning to have a dig at anyone I just feel this whole thing has gone to far with people looking to make money off something that if no one had told them they wouldn't give a crap about.

Was watching the original series of Ice Road Truckers other night. Never really thought about it but all the diamond mines etc in the frozen north have to generate their own power. Hiwvdo they do it? Yup, diesel generators. I'd guess that in order to power a diamond mine they would be a little bit bigger than 1.6-2.0.
Perhaps we ought to sue them too.
And don't forget Saddam. When he set fire to the rigs in Kuwait I bet he wasn't thinking Euro 6 then... sue him. :D

currie09

Mar 22, 2015
Was watching the original series of Ice Road Truckers other night. Never really thought about it but all the diamond mines etc in the frozen north have to generate their own power. Hiwvdo they do it? Yup, diesel generators. I'd guess that in order to power a diamond mine they would be a little bit bigger than 1.6-2.0.

Perhaps we ought to sue them too.

And don't forget Saddam. When he set fire to the rigs in Kuwait I bet he wasn't thinking Euro 6 then... sue him. :D

Hahaha yeah, I work in a shipyard as a welder and we have low loaders for moving huge units and they are run on Diesel engines. If you walk past them when they are running then I'm pretty sure you get lung cancer instantly. Then don't get me started on the crap that comes off when we are welding haha.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Hahaha yeah, I work in a shipyard as a welder and we have low loaders for moving huge units and they are run on Diesel engines. If you walk past them when they are running then I'm pretty sure you get lung cancer instantly. Then don't get me started on the crap that comes off when we are welding haha.

Yup, I did my time in a steel works. Pollution? What's that? :D
A few years back I worked in Saudi at a dairy/coldstore site that wasn't connected to the mains. The generators were diesel, huge things with a virtually straight through exhaust. 24/7 they ran for years.

Balddee2

Oct 10, 2009
They blatantly broke the law and mislead customers on a massive scale, and should be made to pay, simple as.

currie09

Mar 22, 2015
They blatantly broke the law and mislead customers on a massive scale, and should be made to pay, simple as.

They broke the law in our benefit, faster/better cars? Anything that runs on 1million year old dinosaurs will never be "clean". Only electric cars are technically clean but we have been there before with their manufacture. I do feel sorry for those who genuinely bought a VW thinking its Eco friendly but if you want that then buy a bike.

hydrostatik

Sep 14, 2015
Hertfordshire
They broke the law in our benefit, faster/better cars? Anything that runs on 1million year old dinosaurs will never be "clean". Only electric cars are technically clean but we have been there before with their manufacture. I do feel sorry for those who genuinely bought a VW thinking its Eco friendly but if you want that then buy a bike.

Agreed.

VW cheated the system here not consumers directly. If at the time of purchase they said that your car was emitting 1.65 more make believes than another model would it still sway your decision when the performance and economy were still the same or similar?

VW deserve punishment from the authorities for knowingly breaking the rules and cheating systems. Compensation in some form should be given to the consumer when complying with the recall.

There isn't a law suit here from direct consumer to VW. At least I don't think so, the Americans will think of one I'm sure!

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
No, you are incorrect. They broke the law and got caught . You think this doesn't happen in other industries? Google Bhopal. Wittenoom. Etc.
You penalise VAG heavily, what will they do? File for bankruptcy. Result ? No fines get paid, no cars get fixed. And they will start up again. I know its not fair but welcome to life.

Balddee2

Oct 10, 2009
Totally agree its going on all over the place and thats why instances like this need to be made an example of to try and stem it, can guarantee that there are lots of hurried meetings happening right across the car industry at the moment to ensure any 'bad practices' are being stamped out. As for going bankrupt, that aint going to happen to the worlds largest car maker, BP's still doing ok after the oil well disaster, the Banks have paid out £30bn + on PPI and none went bankrupt in the process. The Americans will go to town on it as I assume they were selling cars to customers that werent 'legally fit for purpos' slightly different here as we dont have the same NOx regulations.

currie09

Mar 22, 2015
Totally agree its going on all over the place and thats why instances like this need to be made an example of to try and stem it, can guarantee that there are lots of hurried meetings happening right across the car industry at the moment to ensure any 'bad practices' are being stamped out. As for going bankrupt, that aint going to happen to the worlds largest car maker, BP's still doing ok after the oil well disaster, the Banks have paid out £30bn + on PPI and none went bankrupt in the process. The Americans will go to town on it as I assume they were selling cars to customers that werent 'legally fit for purpos' slightly different here as we dont have the same NOx regulations.

Yes the companies should be made an example of for cheating the system.
Different in that case in America they have been "mis-sold" if you want to call it that.
But I challenge anyone to tell me they bought a car because it's good for the environment and I mean truthfully tell me that.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum

I didn't say they would GO bankrupt, they could file for chapter 11 in the states.

Raymondo111

Apr 6, 2015
As a consumer looking to buy a car I looked at performance/economy/brand image and predicted residual values, as a previous long term buyer of Ford Cars ( I am a Ford Pensioner) I really didn't fancy buying any of the current Ford models except for the Focus ST but a) the boot wasn't big enough and b) The wife told me to act my age LOL, I test drove the Leon FR 1. ACT and was very impressed with the overall package so bought one. I tend to keep my cars for 3 years before looking for a replacement so with this in mind my main concern is what is the long term effect of the actions of the VAG Group going to do to residual values? VW cars have long held enviable residual values and although Seat cars are not quite so good the overall return on your investment over 3 years has until now been pretty good. I know you don't buy a car as an investment but what you are likely to get for your car after 3 years affects your buying decision so just wondered what everyone's thought are on what you see as the long term future of your car's residuals?

currie09

Mar 22, 2015
As a consumer looking to buy a car I looked at performance/economy/brand image and predicted residual values, as a previous long term buyer of Ford Cars ( I am a Ford Pensioner) I really didn't fancy buying any of the current Ford models except for the Focus ST but a) the boot wasn't big enough and b) The wife told me to act my age LOL, I test drove the Leon FR 1. ACT and was very impressed with the overall package so bought one. I tend to keep my cars for 3 years before looking for a replacement so with this in mind my main concern is what is the long term effect of the actions of the VAG Group going to do to residual values? VW cars have long held enviable residual values and although Seat cars are not quite so good the overall return on your investment over 3 years has until now been pretty good. I know you don't buy a car as an investment but what you are likely to get for your car after 3 years affects your buying decision so just wondered what everyone's thought are on what you see as the long term future of your car's residuals?

What is residual value haha? If you buy a car for what it's worth in 3 years and not that it's stupidly fast/stupidly fun or stupidly practical then you probably aren't having as much fun as some other people.
I agree some of us who have bought brand new then sure if I was you then I'd maybe be worried but as a second hand buyer I couldn't give a s***.
For those in that situation I hope you don't lose to much money but if you like the car then what does it matter what it's worth?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.