VW TDi Emissions software scandal

Toff

Apr 13, 2009
Nottingham
If you go on the seat website and type in your reg number it will tell you whether your vehicle is affected. My 184 fr isn't so clearly it isn't going to affect all mk3 diesels.

Interesting today , hearing that it could now affect petrol models. Wonder how all the petrol owners who were feeling smug for not buying a diesel feel now lol!

To be honest I couldn't care about it. My car runs fine and I don't care what the emission rating is.

The check on the seat website doesn't include the new C02 problems, it's just checking the N0x issue isn't it?

hilly81

Apr 28, 2014
Little Sutton
So what if my car throws out a few more CO2s than I was expecting, it does that every day, as I dont use Start Stop.

My view is that by owning the Cupra I'm helping the environment, the sooner I use up as much petrol as I can, the sooner it runs out, that way were forced to find a viable alternative.

Ha Ha! I like your thinking but you wont be troubling bleeding oil dry anytime soon.

JMAC

Feb 18, 2015
Somewhere on the internet there's Lambo owners forum where all the members are worrying about the emissions their cars are potentially putting out and the depreciation…honest…..

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
Depreciation is a cost of motoring right? Is happily take a few years free servicing and extended warranty to cover the costs

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Somewhere on the internet there's Lambo owners forum where all the members are worrying about the emissions their cars are potentially putting out and the depreciation…honest…..

Along with Ferrari,AMG, McClaren etc..... I reckon this forum should change to 'seatI'vegota1.6tdihowmuchcompensayshuncanIclaim.net
Or , seatIreallyboughtmycarbecauseIamconcernedfortheenvironment.net
Its getting soooooo boring now.
Nowt but whinging b'stards moaning about emissions ( something that never bothered them before) and 'loss of performance' - of course, the 1.6tdi is world renowned for its earth shattering performance......

hilly81

Apr 28, 2014
Little Sutton
Along with Ferrari,AMG, McClaren etc..... I reckon this forum should change to 'seatI'vegota1.6tdihowmuchcompensayshuncanIclaim.net
Nowt but whinging b'stards moaning about emissions ( something that never bothered them before) and 'loss of performance' - of course, the 1.6tdi is world renowned for its earth shattering performance......

Ahhhh bless. Visiting and reading forums are both optional you know?

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere

Completely agree mate.

The sense of entitlement with some people is ridiculous. Why anybody thinks they should be entitled to compensation from Volkswagen AG is beyond me. It's just clutching at anything to get a little money back. The bottom line is - 1) You bought a car, 2) You bought a diesel car that you have enjoyed low tax and good fuel economy from, 3) Volkswagen AG screwed with their emissions, and you already enjoyed the benefits of this (low tax and good fuel economy)! The only downside to this whole fiasco (seriously, who gives a flying F about emissions, really) is the "so-called" depreciation, but how many of you even own the car you drive? Chances are 95% of your cars are owned by a finance company. So feel for them, not yourself.

Last edited:

moriarty

Apr 6, 2015
Edinburgh
Something I read yesterday suggested that VW and Audi 1.4 COD were affected and not Seat/ Skoda, not sure if any truth in that but looking at the relative figures:

A3 Sportback 1.4 COD- 107g/km
Golf GT 1.4 ACT 5 Dr- 110-113g/km (DSG) or 112-115 (manual)
Skoda Octavia Hatch 1.4 TSI (150)- 118 g/km- guess this is COD/ ACT.
Seat Leon 5 Dr 1.4 ACT- 110g/km

Given that the size and weight of the cars differs a bit and that tyre size can have an impact then does seem strange that an A3 Sportback in Sport trim has the lowest emission.

However, it is hard to see that this Co2 issue will really make much difference, if the cars go up one VED class it will only be £10/ year and even 2 bands then it is an extra £90/ year at current rates. Not that significant against the cost of buying the car and the subsequent depreciation, insurance and maintenance costs.

Just a shame that as SEAT was starting to get some great reviews it is going to be tarnished by the general press as part of a VW Group scandal, the press don't let the truth get in the way of a great headline.

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
Something I read yesterday suggested that VW and Audi 1.4 COD were affected and not Seat/ Skoda, not sure if any truth in that but looking at the relative figures:

Given that the size and weight of the cars differs a bit and that tyre size can have an impact then does seem strange that an A3 Sportback in Sport trim has the lowest emission.

However, it is hard to see that this Co2 issue will really make much difference, if the cars go up one VED class it will only be £10/ year and even 2 bands then it is an extra £90/ year at current rates. Not that significant against the cost of buying the car and the subsequent depreciation, insurance and maintenance costs.

Just a shame that as SEAT was starting to get some great reviews it is going to be tarnished by the general press as part of a VW Group scandal, the press don't let the truth get in the way of a great headline.

Good point about tyre size and stuff.... they do make it up as they go along though

Fred99

Sep 21, 2013
Granada, Southern Spain
However, it is hard to see that this Co2 issue will really make much difference,

I agree with regard to the UK, but there are other issues in other EU countries where a small change can be very significant, especially when CO2 figures are around 120g.

For example, in Spain, for many years the government has had a scrappage scheme, which can pay up to €2000 (£1500) to the customer if a 10 year old car is traded in and scrapped. One of the conditions is that the replacement (new) car has emissions of 120 or less.

Another example, again from Spain, is that all cars pay a first registration tax (which is effectively included in the OTR price. Cars under 120 pay nothing and cars above pay nearly 5% of the list price - again, this is pretty significant. In these cases it will be the Spanish Government that will be demanding compensation from the VAG and they have already agreed to pay it.

There are similar situations in many countries.

philhoward

Aug 17, 2015

The Octavia isn't a COD/ACT engine - this year anyway.

The CO2 figure is paramount for company car drivers - 1g difference (on, say a Leon FR) can make over £100 difference a year.

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
Another example, again from Spain, is that all cars pay a first registration tax (which is effectively included in the OTR price. Cars under 120 pay nothing and cars above pay nearly 5% of the list price - again, this is pretty significant. In these cases it will be the Spanish Government that will be demanding compensation from the VAG and they have already agreed to pay it.

There are similar situations in many countries.

This part is key, if you look at the first years road tax in the uk it's free for anything producing 130 co2 or less. Anything above that and it becomes a substantial amount.

Car manufacturers register thousands of cars a year, just think how much money they are saving by having there cars produce less co2

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
Hilarious calling people whinging B'stards.

I thought so :D but not as amusing as your sig.... I mean cmon 59.6 avg mpg, if the only thing worth mentioning is its fuel costs you're hardly enjoying the drive? I bet you're fun to get stuck behind.....

Why didnt you buy a Prius?

hilly81

Apr 28, 2014
Little Sutton
I thought so :D but not as amusing as your sig.... I mean cmon 59.6 avg mpg, if the only thing worth mentioning is its fuel costs you're hardly enjoying the drive? I bet you're fun to get stuck behind.....

Why didnt you buy a Prius?

Didn't want a Toyota that might get caught up in another scandal..... ;)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members