VW TDi Emissions software scandal

Houghsx

Aug 11, 2015
I think you're missing the point - diesel is carcinogenic, petrol is not. The issue here is with carcinogens so petrol is environmentally-friendly compared to it. For example, my Seat Leon Cupra 280 with a 2.0-litre turbocharged petrol engine is less harmful to the people I drive past than a 1.2 TDI because it isn't emitting a substance that is scientifically proven to cause cancer. We can all point a finger at petrol not being tree-huggingly friendly but petrol is the only solution right now.

Is it fair to the consumer that they have to fork out for a new car? No. But they don't have to buy a new car, they can buy whatever petrol car they like (it'll still be cleaner than a diesel) - and like I said, there should be help from the Government to do so. And I'm sorry, but an outright ban on the sale of new diesels is the only solution and for diesel cars already in service a target needs to be set for them all to be off the road.

No, not missing the point just don't agree at all. Petrol is dirty as well containing carbon monoxide, Hydrocarbon (cancer causing), Nitrous Oxide (apparently petrol produce more as time goes by) so like I said give the consumer the incentive to migrate to alternatives rather than saying your not allowed your vehicle any more after 4 years or even improve filtration units within the engine.

Last edited:

golfhappy

Sep 1, 2015
Scotland
Sorry, but diesel is not really a byproduct of petrol at all. And even your image shows this:

You refine crude oil by boiling it. Petrol boils off around 120 C, diesel at over 200 C.

For every barrel of oil, more gasoline is produced than diesel. You get petrol before you get diesel.

So in no way is petrol to be blamed for the continued development of diesel.

Totally agree, lower by volume molecular weight...less Van Der Waals forces...easier to extract due to the length of the hydrocarbon chains!!

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Just to throw something else into the mix. The recent EU regulations say that all petrol has to contain some "bio-fuel" usually about 10%. As well as taking land away from the production of food, most of this bio-fuel crap is alcohol based and burning alcohol produces benzene and aldehydes, both of which are irritants to the eyes and lungs as well as being carcinogenic.

All of this in the name of stopping man made global warming, which clearly doesn't exist.
It always amazes me how many stupid people believe that "scientists" can forcast the temperature in 50 years time , yet they can't correctly forcast the weather for the next 3 days!

Even if you do believe in global warming, i'd rather some vicious bloody polar bears died, than my wife and kids get cancer.

Last edited:

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Oh yeah and don't get me started on electric cars. Most of the electricity that is used to recharge them is generated by coal and gas fired power stations and then sent over resistive copper wires for hundreds of miles....... Again science for the retarded, how long before they admit they've got that wrong too?

currie09

Mar 22, 2015
64d16c2d469ef60b36378c864e3645ce.jpg

Just going to throw this in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
Same old **** I got a Petrol so ban diesal, I got a Seat, so all the other makes are crap,
people get a life and let other have what they want and not what you wont.

Last edited:

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Last edited:

Solo

May 30, 2015
If you think banning diesel cars is even slightly feasible you are deluded. Making decent a diesel engine compliant with local legislation may cost manufacturers more but if the demand is still there, I'm sure they wont mind putting up their prices to cover the costs. The EU is focussed on CO2 targets and diesel cars pump out less CO2 than petrol (and there are massive fines on governments for missing the targets). So I doubt this will affect the UK so much as everything will remain focussed on reducing CO2.

bluenose172

Dec 23, 2001
Somewhere
Visit site
The P1 was a special edition limited to a run of only 1000 cars, we are talking 11 million+ cars here!

A bit more digging finds it was all UK\EU Classic impreza's that did this. My point was it's nothing new, this will be the tip of the iceberg, all manufacturers will be at it in one form or another.

Wings988

Oct 27, 2011
Derbyshire
I wonder if this will have any effect on residual value of the cars:confused:

Glad my GTD is going back soon, it never gave anywhere near the claimed mpg, usually getting around 46mpg .

Toon

drives a Leon 1.8DSG
Mar 25, 2014
South East
A bit more digging finds it was all UK\EU Classic impreza's that did this. My point was it's nothing new, this will be the tip of the iceberg, all manufacturers will be at it in one form or another.

Well I think we are going to find out soon. The US regulatory authorities have promised to look into other manufacturers too although Ford, Nissan, BMW and Renault have already come out saying they dont use this type of s/w.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Still wondering why the game playing was restricted to the EA189 motors.

Perhaps they couldn't meet the figures with that motor and that's why the EA288 was released.

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
Wow, this went off topic quicker than everyone forgetting about david cameron shagging a pig

JMAC

Feb 18, 2015
If the software is available to alter a cars emissions at will then why not put positive spin on this and link such a system up to the GPS in a cars sat nav; give the car feck all power and nullify emissions in heavily populated areas and cities and relax them slightly in rural areas.

Like a Nissan GTR does when it knows it's at a track; but for tree huggers.

I can't believe anyone is shocked by this whole affair.

Last edited:

pvm1234567890

Mar 10, 2015
Meath, Ireland
OK, so my initial reading up on this suggests the SEAT Leon is using the EA288 engine, and not the EA189 engine with the issues.

This raises two questions.

1. What cars are running the EA189, as I can't seem to get a definitive list?
2. These EA189 engines are older engines - why are VW USA selling new cars with older engines when they already have EU6 complaint diesel engines that may be better suited to the USA emission laws?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.