VW TDi Emissions software scandal

Houghsx

Aug 11, 2015
Toyota survived their issue which directly caused fatalities. They also had to recall millions of cars and I bet the majority of people don't remember this at all. Its going to come down to how long the press are interested in the story.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

andycupra

status subject to change
Toyota survived their issue which directly caused fatalities. They also had to recall millions of cars and I bet the majority of people don't remember this at all. Its going to come down to how long the press are interested in the story.

i see what you are saying, but safety recalls happen all the time. but in the case of VW its a deliberate action, not an error in calculation or manufacturing, but a deliberate action that has been sanctioned by VW to circumnavigate testing procedures/regulations. It is also particularly devious in the US as they have been promoting the VW product based on its excellent emissions record. doh.

Houghsx

Aug 11, 2015
i see what you are saying, but safety recalls happen all the time. but in the case of VW its a deliberate action, not an error in calculation or manufacturing, but a deliberate action that has been sanctioned by VW to circumnavigate testing procedures/regulations. It is also particularly devious in the US as they have been promoting the VW product based on its excellent emissions record. doh.

I agree and I'm not saying it isn't a serious matter as deception is very serious or that its even comparable. Like you said this is deliberate where as Toyota was a genuine fault. I was just saying that people forget over time when the next big story hits and I expect this to happen here as well (eventually). Just look at what the banks got away with not long ago which is far worse than what has gone on here.

Last edited:

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
I'm hoping the emissions tests from the factory get re thought

There has been talk for a few years now about making the fuel consumption test far more realistic towards world driving.

The current computer driven course can easily have the car adapted to look good on it ( higher tyre pressures, start/stop systems, pre-heated cars etc )

For about the last 10 years the cars have apparently got more efficient and cleaner but each new car I get seems to return around the same average mpg as the ones 10 years ago.

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
For about the last 10 years the cars have apparently got more efficient and cleaner but each new car I get seems to return around the same average mpg as the ones 10 years ago.

True, but cars have gotten heavier over the last ten years with all the new tech.

100andthirty

Mar 19, 2004
Today's diesel engines deliver good MPG irrespective of whether they are VW group or other manufacturers. Equally they all use catalytic converters and DPFs. Some use adblue to reduce NOx emissions. As far as I am aware, ALL cars are tuned to pass the various tests. There tests are NOT representative of normal operation. That's why most cars (ALL makes) don't deliver the stated mpg figures. It is almost inevitable therefore that they will produce more NOx and probably CO and particulates in normal use than on test. Personally I don't believe the "40 times the allowed NOx limits" statement made in public except perhaps as a transient when someone floors the throttle - a cost of having a responsive engine.

The issue seems to relate to not pumping quite as much Adblue into the exhaust in normal operation as in test conditions thus reducing the frequency of topping up the Adblue. What I don't know and have never seen published is the comparative Adblue consumption figures for roughly similar engineer (eg between Ford and VW 2l 190 (or so) BHP engines. This would show whether it's only VW or whether this is something affecting all diesels.

I have cars with petrol engines which typically are allowed to produce more carbon monoxide than comparable diesel engines. Whilst they don't appear to be implicated (no Adblue) they still pollute.

MattW35

Aug 9, 2007
Cambs
It's my understanding that the issue that VW now face is one of subtleties in wording. In Europe, the requirement is "to pass the test". What it runs like in real life isn't technically a requirement / issue. However, the USA EPA test specifically talks about emissions "in normal use" and hence this is their issue.

Toon

drives a Leon 1.8DSG
Mar 25, 2014
South East
"I have cars with petrol engines which typically are allowed to produce more carbon monoxide than comparable diesel engines. Whilst they don't appear to be implicated (no Adblue) they still pollute"

True but petrol cars produce far lower levels of NOx than diesels which is why they dont need Adblue. Petrol cars also produce far far lower levels of particulates which are of course linked with a range of health issues.

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
From today's telegraph
Seat, the Spanish subsidiary of German group Volkswagen, installed the infamous pollution-cheating software in more than 500,000 cars made in Spain, daily newspaper El Pais reported, citing unnamed sources with ties to the company.

Julian1977

Jan 28, 2015
We need to wait for an official confirmation, however I expected it. If VW did it for its own cars, why would they do it for all diesel engines they make? At the end of the day their brands share the same engines don't they?

As for me I started to read the Sales of Goods Act. :lol: One of the reasons I bought this car was that I only pay £20 per year on road tax.

Fred99

Sep 21, 2013
Granada, Southern Spain

Houghsx

Aug 11, 2015
Ah the old, unnamed sources. In other words, print what ever you want and stick that on the end.

Joe_3490

Sep 20, 2010
ed81a4e14895868496d70e5079aa1b5b.jpg

Sorry couldn't resist posting this

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

loonymoon

Does that mean that the secondhand value of the petrol and perhaps even more so TSI type engines will increase due to the presumably lower resale value of diesels after the scandal? Looks like I may have chosen wisely 4 years ago (but I already knew that ...loving the TSI!)

Last edited: