VW Transporter TDI 172 -- the fastest vehicle on the roads today

BigAlan

My experience in a remapped VW T5 174bhp

When I owned a VW Touareg 2.5 TDi a work colleague recommended I get a remap after he had his van done. His van was a 174 bhp version which was customized with all the bits to convert it into a Spotline replica. I thought the van looked pretty good but never really considered it a performance vehicle. I thought my Touareg was pretty quick especially after the remap (although only marginally faster) but didn't think my mates van would be much quicker.

I was in the car park one day when my mate pulled up to me in his van. He waved me over and offerded to give me a test drive and so I climbed in. I've been in many cars over the years including a porshe driven my a maniac and a very fast M3 so I was confident I wouldn't be too shocked. However the first few seconds in the van got me worried, I was expecting the same kind of torque I got from my Touareg but this was more like a fairground ride. It felt like someone had put a rocket behind my seat.

When we got onto the main road the fun began, there was a slight bend in the road and with the speed I thought we would topple over. The torque experienced was immense and I was soon in a state of shock. I didn't know my mate was such a nut case behind the wheel having never been in a car with him before so not knowing his driving ability was an added worry. As we approached a large round-about he didn't seem to slow down he obviously wanted to demonstrate the vans corning ability. He had wide tyres on lowered suspension so the van held on no problem, however I was not doing as well and was trying my hardest not to lose bowel control. We started making our way back and I spent most of the time praying behind closed eyes. I had never experienced this much torque in a car before and the whole experience was quite overwhelming.

After getting back to the office and having several cups of sweet tea I told my story to everyone that would listen. I don't think anyone took me serious when I said it was the fastest thing I had been in and it was a van.

I now own a rather pretty VW T5 2.5 130 bhp not quite a sportline but I love it. Remap is on the cards next week although it will never touch my mates beast!

john_tdi

mmm 385lbft
Feb 21, 2007
s wales
I've a t4 van. was 102 now near 150 with map and injectors, and it doesnt hang about even with the full camping conversion.

The 174 empty will be alot quicker than 11 secs to 60. I've a 130bhp 5 pot t5 in work. Its the torque these 5 pots give is mental. Think the 130 is 265lbft ish. The new t5.5's use 2.0ltr 4 pots now, but the daddy is the bi turbo 180bhp!

Last edited:

rich RS

Ibiza 1.4 TSI ACT 150 FR
Aug 5, 2006
Driving some where!
You just got to remember your speed limits when driving a LARGER machine!!
costs-web-banner2.jpg

Speed-Limits_1.jpg

http://www.sussexsaferroads.gov.uk/safer-speed/speed-limits.html

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.