W Livingstone Ltd - Uddingston, Glasgow.

Rangers

Jan 24, 2009
Scotland
I left a response on this thread last march ( 2009 ) after going back once or twice seems you are right its all money no service..I went to show them the stone chips on the bonnet and front spoiler after them painting it TWICE in the first 10k miles and its still just as bad, of course they didnt phone back or make any contact, what happened to the customer is always right..

higgi

Aug 3, 2010
Glasgow/Ayrshire
Like i said they seemed like a good garage at first but when it comes down to them having to do work with a warranty or parts it seems to change. now they want me to pay for the labour twice to take it back and get it fixed, really disappointed in this garage. I would keep phoning mate until they do something about it.

Rangers

Jan 24, 2009
Scotland
Had 2nd service with W.Livingstone very nice job, fixed a few small matters with no extra cost - washed/ hoovered - In 2 minds about my last post now! Chipping was down to me washing the car "too" much.

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
Chipping was down to me washing the car "too" much.

Did the garage tell you this, cos personally i think it is bullshit, how can washing your car too much create stone chips?? How come your car has been painted twice? i thought that paint chipping was classed as 'wear and tear'. I have heard people say that Seat paint is very thin and can chip easily, however, my car has 37k on it and there are not too many chips, i dont think anyway

Torquemonster

Nov 20, 2007
:( My Ibiza Sport was the worst car i've ever had for stone chips.It was red.Read somewhere a while back that the SEAT red paint was one of the worst affected by stone chips.Don't know how much truth there is in this though.I know the swooping bonnet design doesn't help much though.
These water based (save the planet) paints aren't really up to the job.

Deleted member 55317

The service manager can be a real stickler. The head sales guy David is a good bloke though.

Anyway, Livingstones are still way better than the chain of car showrooms we all know in Scotland!!

agree there david sold me my Cupra good guy....

i tend do have a different oppinion on the service dept tho i found them...pretty useless....i had a rattle in my boot a small vent had fallen off i could see it and touch it but you needed to drop the bumper to fix it so i put it in for warranty work (car had only done 100miles max) it took them 3 attempts to fix iteach one costing me £15-20 fuel for courtesy car fuel.

Ill def buy from livingston again.....but all my warranty work gets done at morrisons in stirling who are the opposite....EXCELLENT service dept....sh!t sales team...still not as bad as alexandria arnold **** i was horrified what they tried to get me to do......sign for delivery of a car before we'd settled on a price....."just sign here, then we can discuss prices" told him to **** off and walked out

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
David's a top man, sold us 4 cars in this household over the years and I'd recommend him to anyone. Had a few issues last winter with the service department trying to diagnose a wheel bearing problem, but it's nothing worth moaning about. :) 99% of the time when I've used the service dept over the past 5 years I've been fairly happy.

ming

Oct 4, 2009
Glasgow
Livingstone, Uddingston

The staff couldn't have been more helpful.

Dealerships like this are few and far between.

BaldyDave

Mildly Deranged...
Aug 12, 2011
Central Belt Scotland
I have to say that when I had my MK4 Ibiza FR TDI, and a MK3 Ibiza 1.4 Chill, I used W Livingstone for all servicing and the few warranty claims (all minor issues).

My experiences with this dealer are all good. I always found Sandy (Workshop Manager) fair and helpful, and the parts guys really knew their job. Any time my car was in for a service it was always returned washed and hoovered, apart from one time when Sandy apologised (off his own back, before I had even seen my car) for not having the time to get it hoovered! Any time I chose to wait for the service to be done I was offered free coffee and the car was always ready pretty-much when they said it would be.

The only negative thing I would have said about them was that I gave them a chance to offer me a deal on a new car on 2 previous occasions, but the deal they could offer me was very poor compared to what Arnold Clark could do. The Salesman (an old guy) would never negotiate beyond throwing in a set of car mats! So I bought the car off Clark and got Livingstone to service/maintain it! A shame really, cause I would have loved to have given the local independent dealer my money, but when there's about a grand's difference in the deal for an identical car, money talks, I'm afraid.

Have just used Uncle Arnold again to buy my Latest MK5 Ibiza FR TDI and will be taking it to Livingstone's when it needs anything done. I hope that the poor reports in recent posts on here are exceptions to the rule... I will keep you posted!

harper2009

Feb 15, 2010
Having had my recent misfortunes as a result of the DPF on the mk5 Ibiza I found myself speaking with Sandy whilst my car was in the hands of Arnolds mechanics. He was bang on! He fully explained the ins and outs of the DPF and what would be involved in the forced regeneration process. As a result I immediately took the car away from Arnold and had the process carried out elsewhere as he couldn't get it booked in soon enough. This saved me a fortune and had worn engine mounts diagnosed at the same time. Definitely will be using W.LIVINGSTONE in the future

BaldyDave

Mildly Deranged...
Aug 12, 2011
Central Belt Scotland
Just an update on my recent experiences with Livingstone's. Went in to ask about a flexible load liner for my FR TDI and I explained that because the boot had a raised floor due to the battery, I wasn't sure if the Seat loadliner would fit. Sandy couldn't have been more helpful! He said he didn't know but he would like to find out himself. He duly went and took a loadliner out of stock and asked if he could try it in my car to satisfy his curiosity! No problem....loadliner was tried and fitted OK. I explained that I wasn't looking to buy at the moment, but he cheerfully said that it wasn't a problem and he was happy to have helped!

Can't say fairer than that, can you? Excellent service! :)

On a slightly negative point I asked for a quote to have a small genuine Seat rear spoiler painted and fitted to my car. The quote came in at £230! I got another quote from a very good sprayshop locally asking £70 for exactly the same job..... So from this experience it looks as if the bodyshop there is very expensive - at least for small jobs.

Past experiences with servicing have always been very good.

Kev12344

Took my Leon to Livingstones for its 20k service as I'd noticed that on the SEAT website SEAT were doing an offer of £159 for the service.

Phoning and booking the car the receptionist seemed to know of and advise of the service offer and extended breakdown cover which comes with it. Decided to get my air con regassed while it was there too.

Told the receptionist I'd like some issues looked at under warranty.

1. I've got a grinding/clanging noise comming whilst turning left & right on full lock. This doesn't happen all the time, is fairly intermittent and I told her that.

2. Radio reception poor when raining, foggy or misty. Very bad reception, when weather is bad, sounds like the loss of reception when going into a tunnel type of thing.

3. Two speakers don't sound right when the media system volume is only at 12. The passenger rear and drivers front speaker vibrate/drone sometimes when the bass kicks in. Other times they pop and crackle. Again they sometimes sound alright.

Got a SEAT Ibiza 1.2 Tsi Ecomotive as a courtesy car whilst my car was getting serviced.

Got the car back from Livingstones. The service, which was essentially just an oil change and filters was fine. Keeps the warranty in the meantime. Car was washed and hoovered also.

No mention if any software updates were made to my car or indeed if any were available for my Leon FR 2.0 Tsi. When I had my Audi 2.0T sportback, that was the first thing they mentioned, that they updated the software during the service.

My warranty issues, like others who have been to Livingstones before me were all no fault found according to their service department.

Radio reception was fine, they had ordered a new radio base in just in case, but was never fitted as no fault found. Weather was fine yesterday and therefor radio turned on and you could hear the radio station, therefor must be ok according to service department. Even though it happens when weather is poor, foggy, misty or raining.

Speakers, again fine. Bass turned from 6 to 2. Mid stayed at 3. Treble down to 1 from 7. These were my own settings. Volume set around 6, when I'd set it to come on at 12. It stays around 12 on the media system. I find at that level its not excessive but the speakers should still be able to handle the sound and they can't.

It just seemed to me like the service department seemed to think that at these lower settings there is sound and no problem, so no problem exists. They levels aren't my prefered levels though where the audio system speakers have issues when they really shouldn't.

Again, radio must have been turned on, they heard sound from the speakers therefor must be fine.

Grinding noise, no fault found. Took car home, full lock into the garage and what do I hear, that grinding noise again.

Overall the service is fine, but my issues with my car still remain. They are small issues but I thought they would be fixed under warranty, but no. Might need to upgrade the speakers myself, Livingstones and/or SEAT I don't think are going to admit the car has a problem so can any recommend front and rear speakers that'll fit a facelift 2009/59 plate SEAT Leon FR? 2.0 Tsi?

Probably need to either take the car somewhere else or just use a local small garage I trust and pay them to find out just what the grinding/clanging noises are from the front wheels of my car.

Media system and speakers. Especially on my car sound crap and really let the car down. No doubt I will have to fix at my own expense, either that or get rid of the car lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.