W66RRY - Mk1 Leon Cupra R

big eck

Aug 11, 2005
Falkirk, Scotland
Unfortunately yes. It happened at last nights track night at knockhill. The turbo let go in a big way afaik and spewed oil over the full length of the exhaust which then went up in flames.

I have a pic of the aftermath but I'm not putting it up in case Garry doesn't approve.

Last edited:

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
Ok so update time :lol:

Had another track night coming up, so decided to fit an oil pressure gauge

It was successful. Oil pressure was bang on :D

Car was brilliant. The new mods really transformed the car. Brakes were brilliant, new supension seemed bang on right out the box

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
And then it all went wrong :rofl:

Onto the straight, noticed some 'steam' out the exhaust. I'd been having coolant temp issues all night so wasn;t particularly surprised/worried by this, until my passenger started screaming about flames and had no boost into 4th gear :(

So as above, the turbo let go, and oil poured into the exhaust, which at 1000 or so degrees, thought a wee fire would be nice.
The pictures make it look fairly terminal but its honestly not that bad.

So I decided that I'd make a couple of upgrades - new manifold, slightly different spec turbo, bigger intercooler, oil cooler, and a few body mods. So it'll probably be a month or so before its back on the road, and I need to get about so I went to the local garage to get a nice diesel Insignia for daily duties, and came home with this

Whoops :D

Mar 20, 2009
Largs Scotland
I like the burnt rear end look mate I reckon your onto something with that. Sounds like you have big plans for the car already lol.

My mate has just bought an Insignia diesel if only he had a brain like you!

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
I like the burnt rear end look mate I reckon your onto something with that. Sounds like you have big plans for the car already lol.

My mate has just bought an Insignia diesel if only he had a brain like you!

Well it's hardly worth stopping with it now :lol:

The insignia is actually a really good car lol

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Nightmare.

Heard that wasn't the only seat that went home limping that night.

Track days can be harsh! As long as nobody was hurt, that's the main thing :)

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
Nightmare.

Heard that wasn't the only seat that went home limping that night.

Track days can be harsh! As long as nobody was hurt, that's the main thing :)

Yeh there were other issues :lol:

Tbh, mine looks far worse than it is. Other than a bit of paint, all of the stuff I'm doing was going to happen anyway. I was happy with the night. The car is almost exactly how I want it.

What happened with the turbo could have happened anytime. And I'm glad it happened when a Marshall with a fire extinguisher was 100 yards away, rather than a late night run over the moor road where I'd have been trying to put it out with my tears :lol:

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
So made a start to stripping it to start the work.
First off, all the broken bits :lol:

CV Boot

Cracked downpipe nut (How did I manage that :shrug:)

Turbine Wheel :rofl: Found this rattling about the middle of the exhaust

Hot side

Other than that, theres no real damage in there. Seems to have been a bit of a freak accident with the turbo as opposed to anything else

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
Old exhaust manifold - These getting a shockingly bad write up. I have to say I'm seriously impressed with mine. Not enough to keep it right enough

The replacement :D

New oil cooler setup

New intercooler - Jeez its enormous

And a bit of mocking up

As you see, it's going to be bery close to the bonnet catch, so done away with that and created some space :D

And that means I'll be needing these

And thats it for now. Waiting on the new turbo coming back, and some piping for the new cooler. Hopefully have it all built up this weekend or so :D

Phoenix27

RIP Project Blueshift
Jan 17, 2010
Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
What an awesome thread... i admire people like you who have the time and expertise to do this sort of work. Makes me wish i had another daily driver so i could be more ambitious with the stuff i'm trying to do to mine lol.

Keep up the awesome work, you should be proud! :D

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
:lol:So updates have been slow recently

Oil cooler fitted

Build your own turbo

Brand new Beachbuggy hybrid (Big big thanks to Dan for this)

Pretty daunting taking a brand new turbo, dismantling it and attacking it with a die grinder :lol:

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland

Aerocatches fitted.

The engine and turbo are back together now. Got a bit more tidying up to do before the bumper goes back on. Then hoping to get a couple more trackdays in before I start on the winter suspension refresh :D

Forgot to show pics of my new diffuser fins :D

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.