Want another 130 Tdi sport as track day car

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
Ok, been a bit of revelation for me this going back to a diesel. But the weekend showed that the cupra is super capable and that yes a diesel is surprisingly well suited to the nurburgring, in fact very well suited as the boxster S i was pushing round ( until he lost it trying too hard) will testify.

So my plans of buying a mini next year as my track day hack are looking likely to be changed and i now think a cheap mk4 tdi sport is the way to go.

the plan is to fully strip the car and fit perpex windows, removing electric windows, aircon, rear wiper , airbags etcetc. Then 2 bucket seats harnesses, roll cage,

Drop it on kw coilovers and change bushes and ARB's. Also R32 brake conversion with Carbotech pads Change wheels to 16 inch TD pro race 1.2's. Engine wise, a full mufflerectomy , front mount, remap and air filter.

I would like to get the weight down to a tonne or a little bit under. initially due tot eh weight loss i don't think a clutch will be needed, but when it is i will bang a Quaife in at the same time.

so fingers crossed money allowing i will be looking to get a cheap sub 90k tdi sport for around 2-2.5 after christmas.

Does anyone know of anyone who has done this sort of conversion to a tdi ibiza in the past

knight85

Money spending clown
Dec 30, 2008
South East
used to be a chap on here who totally stripped a Tdi Fr out...he is on IOC now...he is doing crazy 1/4 miles!

i think it sounds like a great idea, would you take it all the way to stage 3 then? and strip it out? think you would need a new clutch if you took it beyond stage 1, not just the weight that affects it!

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
For reliability stage 1 will be enough, If you speak to Driveforward off here who uses an arosa at the ring he will tell you that power is not the major thing needed. So for me the remap will be soft, the intercooler and irfilter are purely there to aid running and make it safer. Taking 250kgs' off the weight will give a stage 1 car better power to weight ratio than a stage 3'd standard car.

knight85

Money spending clown
Dec 30, 2008
South East
yea t-spark....the red stripped out tdi Fr....but think he is way beyond just stage 1.

Imhearing you Ant about its not just power, get spacers and RARB as well to help with handling

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
yea t-spark....the red stripped out tdi Fr....but think he is way beyond just stage 1.

Imhearing you Ant about its not just power, get spacers and RARB as well to help with handling

Sparky is running stage 3-4 on His

His car sounds similar to your plans , hes got no interior or dash , just the clocks and light switch, Hes using the original seats , hes still got the original glass aswell.

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
I've got to keep dash as its being used in germany predominantly and i don't want hassle everytime i'm out there from the TUV guys and police.

The car will be left in germany from may to september at my mates place, its will also be doing two races next year att he ring which require standard dash to be in. I'll have a look at tsparks, can;t believe he still has that as he had his when i had my last one.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
I've got to keep dash as its being used in germany predominantly and i don't want hassle everytime i'm out there from the TUV guys and police.

The car will be left in germany from may to september at my mates place, its will also be doing two races next year att he ring which require standard dash to be in. I'll have a look at tsparks, can;t believe he still has that as he had his when i had my last one.

Its his Pride and Joy it will have changed alot since you last saw it tho lol

Was at a RWYB day with him on Saturday its very fast :cartman:

antnee

T Sparks interior has;

steering wheel
clocks and stalks
Air con controls
hazard, TC and rear window buttons
Electric window and CL buttons
2 seats
meth tank and pump

Thats it :D

It was running 13.7sec 1/4miles on saturday

Nov 25, 2007
Derby
T Sparks interior has;

steering wheel
clocks and stalks
Air con controls
hazard, TC and rear window buttons
Electric window and CL buttons
2 seats
meth tank and pump

Thats it :D

It was running 13.7sec 1/4miles on saturday

I fitted the meth tank [B)]

it is a great car to drive i borrowed it for a day.After gettin back in mine it soundered so quiet i could even hear my girlfriend talkin to me :D

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
looks a cracking idea that

same the sort of thing that TopGear entered the BMW into at all ? or a series of races ?

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
no, this is a new thing. topgear were entered int he Britcar 24hr from memory which is avery established series now ( think theres an in to the night race race at brands this wekend)

Its i am getting into track days and stuff now so much and liking it, and want to say when 80 and on my death bed that i raced a car properly just once. Maybe its my midlife crisis thing making me want to try loads of new things while i can. I will probably be **** and come last, but until i try i will never know....lol

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
britcar . . . that was it (sorry should have googled)

looks like it's a shootout from the trackdays they have done and as above looks like a great idea, I'm particulary impressed with the power limits and other little rules that should not only keep costs down of course but keep cars to a normal level. no silly 1000bhp loonies wanting all the glory.

looks like a reliable standard powered light car with minor mods could be just the ticket

time to go track spec then :):)

Feb 20, 2005
Telford ay it...
Nice idea and different, be good to see a tdi with a pucka track set up.

I can't see you loosing 250kg's though, especially when you factor in the weight of a cage.

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
Nice idea and different, be good to see a tdi with a pucka track set up.

I can't see you loosing 250kg's though, especially when you factor in the weight of a cage.

think we can working off the standard weight, roll cage adds 30kgs so net it will be 220kg lighter. The biggest thing is knocking off the unsprung weight, l

think 200kg's is managable, as will use Fibre glass bonnet, remove all sound deadening is about 6 kg's alone, all the boxes fromt h exhaust, windows, seats must account for about 4okg's on their own, airbags, stereo and speakers is about 6kgs', unused cabling, wipers, electric windows, and so on, oh and aircon, spare wheel & tools, etc etcv etc, loads of weight saving.

Can;t weight to get started really.

joop200789

Jul 5, 2009
Barnsly
think we can working off the standard weight, roll cage adds 30kgs so net it will be 220kg lighter. The biggest thing is knocking off the unsprung weight, l

think 200kg's is managable, as will use Fibre glass bonnet, remove all sound deadening is about 6 kg's alone, all the boxes fromt h exhaust, windows, seats must account for about 4okg's on their own, airbags, stereo and speakers is about 6kgs', unused cabling, wipers, electric windows, and so on, oh and aircon, spare wheel & tools, etc etcv etc, loads of weight saving.

Can;t weight to get started really.

this months redline is all about weight saving and unsprung weight and that and as got loads of tips into might be woth a read for you,

eg like saving 5kg a on a wheel equals to a total of 80kg through four heels as unsprun wieght as four times the effect or sumat like that

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.