WARNING: Halfords 'Ready to use' screenwash

darrenh

...soon to have new shoes
Mar 30, 2005
Cambs
www.myspace.com
Just thought I'd pop a quick post up about the above.

After recently buying 2 x 5L 'Ready to use' screenwash from Halfords (as they're currently on BOGOF). After about a week of use, I noticed that on the passenger side that the screenwash has 'dribbled' down the passenger door - presumably as it flows off the left wiper and off the screen.

Anyhoo - thought nothing of it (it's only screenwash!) so thought it could wait until the weekend... cleaned the car on Sunday and low and behold - the screenwash has stained my paint/lacquer green :(. From just below the wingmirror, right to underneath the door handle.

I've been back to Halfords and they're currently trying to work out what they're going to do about it. They seem OK 'so far', but we'll see - i'm not going to let it go that's for sure!

Obviously I'm not happy about it, but thought I'd just post up as a warning incase anyone has it in their car - might be worth checking it's OK.

I'd post a pic up, but to be honest - it just won't show up.

EDIT: - there is NO disclaimer on the bottle about leaving it on the paint (presumably as it's only screenwash ffs!)

darrenh

Mar 30, 2005
Cambs
www.myspace.com
Halfords are now suggesting they try and T-Cut it off... supposing I have to T-Cut the whole door - surely that will look different to the front and rear wings? Or is it not that noticable?

Mike Green

Cupra crazy
May 4, 2007
Surrey
Yeah thats a difficult one with the T cut. If I am honest I would not let anyone mess around on my car with some Tcut - imagine they are trying to get the stuff off and make it look as good as new, its not their car and they do not want to get sued... what are they going to do? scrub and scrub with T cut, take all the paint off in that section, make it look much shinier than the rest, so the whole car will need t cutting AND how much paint are they going to take off by t cutting it???

If you do let them go at it you have to be there watching them and if it does not come off after a good scrub do not let them scrub and scrub and scrub.

Just my opinion.

Maybe a better way would be to make sure they do a little patch first (size of a fifty p piece) then that way they will not take much paint away.

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
Balls to that. Don't let them T-Cut it!
If the screenwash is eating at the laquer and changing the colour of your paint, then i think the damage is already done. I'd get a body shop to check it at their expense and get a Profesional opinion, not some neon fitting shelf stackers thoughts on what autoglym products they have to hide it.
Contact Halfords head office direct by email and CC in What car? or similair to see what they suggest.

darrenh

Mar 30, 2005
Cambs
www.myspace.com
Well - I've just got back from my 'appointment' with the Deputy Manager and I'm pleasantly surprised with them :)

He agreed with me that obviously screenwash shouldn't have done what it has, and also said thats it "above them" to fix it so it's been referred onto their central customer services - who will apparently call me either tomorrow or the next day. We siphoned out the remaining screenwash so they've got a sample of the stuff thats caused it so fingers crossed the ball is rolling in the right direction.

My only concern with it going central is that it now take longer to get sorted out, but I'm not going to just let it go.

Stew - I'll try my best with pictures but in all honesty I don't think it'll come out very well as it's quite a light green (against the yellow :( )

darrenh

Mar 30, 2005
Cambs
www.myspace.com
Well - I called the store and they've spoken with Customer Services and due to the possible high price of the claim - everything now has to be done in writing... which given the lazy b*stards at the post office are all asleep from 12 noon today - it's gonna drag even more :(

I just have to sit and wait for their letter...

ChrisUK

Eat My Smoke
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool, UK
Maybe fax them a copy of the letter now & still post it recorded delivery so you have a signature of it being delivered. At least they will have a copy to start the ball rolling

andycupra

status subject to change
you have to give them oportunity to correct the error.

however you are right id push for a full car t-cut etc.

yes they should be checking whether its a screen wash fault or not, otherwise they will get more visitors.

have they taken the screenwash back? it would be worth keeping hold of it in case theres arguments over it.

one thought however, is this:
is it possible its not the lacqeur, could it be some wax or polish that you have used?
also, was there any screen wash left in the washer bottle? could it have reacted? have you definately used all the old scren wash up? etc etc...
just some things to consider.

alot of comments regarding halfords wash cloggin up pipes..:
http://forum.landrovernet.com/archive/index.php/t-90584.html
but then pipes clog up alot...

Last edited:

darrenh

Mar 30, 2005
Cambs
www.myspace.com
My letter has gone to them, it was faxed from the store this morning - so its just waiting for a response now.

Andy - I am giving them the oppurtunity to fix it, and a full car T-Cut isn't going to happen. Ovni paint is patchy at the best of times, I don't need another shade of it :)

They've taken about 2ltrs of the screenwash out, and there's some left in which I'll be keeping until its resolved.

It could be the polish, as I'd expect there's plenty on there - but I'm no paint expert so we'll have to wait until they send someone I guess.

There wasn't anything in the washer bottle mate, totally empty.

andycupra

status subject to change
ok.

well it sounds like you was / polish the car, which would provide some protection.
have you tried to clean a small part off to see if you can get it off and if not you can leave the rest in place for evidence. as like you say the longer its there...

Last edited:

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
Personally i'd leave it well alone now.
If you make it worse, they will not go near it and blame the owner. If you make it better, then you could miss out on a decent amount of compo or the opportunity of a respray and tidy up any stone chips at their expense.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members