WARNING: Halfords 'Ready to use' screenwash

Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham
T cutting the area will not make it any worse or change the colour of the panel.
Personally I would use some 3m cutting compound available from machine mart, its not cheap but it will restore the colour and will not do any damage to the shade.
The staining is unlikely to be down to a reaction with the paint and I am sure it will come off easily with 3m
Glynn

darrenh

...soon to have new shoes
Mar 30, 2005
Cambs
www.myspace.com
Thanks for the advice, although it's staying as it is for now. I'm not going to pay for anything to fix it, I'll just have to wait for them to sort it.

It is by all accounts a 'high priority' case though :)

daniel_owen_uk

Aug 24, 2006
Chesterfield
ok.

well it sounds like you polish the car, which would provide some protection.
have you tried to clean a small part off to see if you can get it off and if not you can leave the rest in place for evidence. as like you say the longer its there...

Say what? Polishing provides protection does it!

truCido

Race Lupo in progress...
Dec 11, 2003
Bristol
www.vagowners.co.uk
I actually opened up a customer complaint with Halfords customer service about.......3 years ago about this exact problem with the ready to use screenwash on my mk2 red ibiza bonnet.....it looked a completely mess but after 3 months of chasing I gave up and went to a body shop where I'd had some work done before and he got some polish out and his MOP and did the whole bonnet for me for free, job done lol

A tip...I saw a couple somehow get their whole bonnet resprayed after a "patch" appeared under a L plate sign, it looked like someone had taken a heat gun to the bonnet and they claimed that this was caused by the L plate. They filed a complaint and funnily enough they were told in no way could the L plate of caused that, but suddenly call from HO and this was rushed through because the couple went to a magazine or paper (cant remember which)

andycupra

status subject to change
Say what? Polishing provides protection does it!

Sealant and wax do the protecting.

well i meant that he applies polish / waxes it.. clearly the act of polishing doesnt in itself provide protection ;) but having a good layer of polish / wax may. The possibily that the type of wax or polish has reacted is a possibility. However i was just throwing ideas into the pot.
as he said in the post immediately before mine:
It could be the polish, as I'd expect there's plenty on there - but I'm no paint expert so we'll have to wait until they send someone I guess.

Last edited:

darrenh

Mar 30, 2005
Cambs
www.myspace.com
I actually opened up a customer complaint with Halfords customer service about.......3 years ago about this exact problem with the ready to use screenwash on my mk2 red ibiza bonnet.....it looked a completely mess but after 3 months of chasing I gave up and went to a body shop where I'd had some work done before and he got some polish out and his MOP and did the whole bonnet for me for free, job done lol

A tip...I saw a couple somehow get their whole bonnet resprayed after a "patch" appeared under a L plate sign, it looked like someone had taken a heat gun to the bonnet and they claimed that this was caused by the L plate. They filed a complaint and funnily enough they were told in no way could the L plate of caused that, but suddenly call from HO and this was rushed through because the couple went to a magazine or paper (cant remember which)

Trust me mate, I'm not gonna let it go... so if it's writing to some paper/magazine is what it takes then that's fine :)

Whatever happens, if I hadn't used the screenwash - I wouldn't have green lines down one door... the screenwash caused it... Halfords need to sort it.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
I have been using the stuff for ages...might stop using it now I think! Did you get the Pink one or Blue one...apparently they are different. Maybe the Pink variant is strong than the blue??

aceman

May 6, 2002
West Yorkshire
Visit site
Several years ago I had a warrenty claim on a Toyota Corolla regarding paint bubbling on the front wing. I was horrified when I discovered this and so were the dealers when I showed it them. They took loads of pictures and sent them to Toyota HQ as they had never seen anything like it before, anyway after several weeks of no joy I happened to notice one day when getting into the car the bubble spot which was originally the size of a 50 pence piece had shrunk I thought that's strange and inspected it more closely only to find it was some kind clear resin that was on top of the paint which had fooled everybody including the bodyshop guys. Some polish removed what was left and an embarasing call to the dealer closed the matter.

All I would say is it is quite probable your damage to the paintwork maybe easily rectified and lets hope it is as it was my case.

daniel_owen_uk

Aug 24, 2006
Chesterfield
well i meant that he applies polish / waxes it.. clearly the act of polishing doesnt in itself provide protection ;) but having a good layer of polish / wax may. The possibily that the type of wax or polish has reacted is a possibility. However i was just throwing ideas into the pot.
as he said in the post immediately before mine:

Ahh the old meant to say :p

Fairy snuff mate.

darrenh

Mar 30, 2005
Cambs
www.myspace.com
I have been using the stuff for ages...might stop using it now I think! Did you get the Pink one or Blue one...apparently they are different. Maybe the Pink variant is strong than the blue??

Just the bog standard blue stuff... glad it wasn't pink after all this :)

The manager told me it "shouldn't have stained, its pretty much blue water..."

"Hello - is that Trading Standards?" :lol:

darrenh

Mar 30, 2005
Cambs
www.myspace.com
Just called them up (they've sent me a letter - but with the chosen messengers currently in bed it's not here yet)...

They're agreeing that they will obviously have to pay for it to be fixed, and require 2 quotations to rectify it. The chap on the phone assumed that it would be a respray, but I'm buggered if that's my first option. So i'm off to find some decent polishing company to see if they can remove it... :(

The only person that springs to mind is polishedbliss.co.uk as I know Rich is uber good at that sort of thing - he's in Aberdeen though!!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.