Warning light on oil temp gauge?

CupraR-Rog

Just Cruising...
Jul 19, 2003
West Somerset
Visit site
Hicks said:
I can't stand this attitude of not believing the customer. Basically they're saying you're lying. They know full well of these common problems on the car. You wouldn't go to the hassle of taking the car to them if there was no fault. It's not right.
Something I hate about dealers as well, and they never believe you even after they're proven you right 10+ times!!

The number of times I'd go to a dealer with a full list of symptoms and telling them what the fault was, for them to have the car for the day and hand it back to me, giving me the exact same list of symptoms, and their analyst of what's wrong, which would be the same as mine, after their dealers had looked at it all day / week!!

Fortunately, now I'm driving an older car, I'm using a garage I know and who knows me... much less hassle!! (apart from the 90+ mile round trip!!)

slimjim

Professional Muppet
Feb 1, 2005
Telford, UK
www.jameshardacre.com
CupraR-Rog said:
The number of times I'd go to a dealer with a full list of symptoms and telling them what the fault was, for them to have the car for the day and hand it back to me, giving me the exact same list of symptoms, and their analyst of what's wrong, which would be the same as mine, after their dealers had looked at it all day / week!!
AND I bet they tried to charge you for the privilidge... [:@]

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Right well, guess what guys - its now the day before (well just under 20hrs before) my trip to the dealers with a few problems - Of which 1 or 2 of them seem to have cured themselves today (although were a problem yesterday!)
They best come back tomorrow morning or I am going to look like a pleb going in for the 5th time for boot-lock jamming when they can get in no problem grrrrrr... :(

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
right well an update for you all......

Dealer could NOT find an issue with my coolant sensor (as predicted). Also could NOT find an issue with my boot lock but told me I had it on the wrong settings (i had double locked it as I dont feel safe leaving it on the C/L setting - it doesnt always lock.....) AND finally sorted to rear seat rattle (passenger-side) by adjusting it but commented that my Amp wiring running there might be "to blame"...... ahem.

Still, they cleaned the coolant sensor (i showed the flashing light to a salesman there as a bit of backup) and said if it occurs again then they will change the coolant tank - i just need to phone up and book it in.
So tomorrow will tell RE the coolant sensor... As for the boot lock. God knows :(

The Governor

Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
Why don't they just replace the boot lock? Wouldn't it be easier than all the toing anf roing?

I don't see what skin it is off their nose, it's all paid for by Seat under warranty isn't it?

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
yes it is - they apparently changed the bootlock once already, but in my opinion they didnt change the right bit, or all of what they should have.
Trouble is, i keep going in there and they blame me for the setting its on or cannot find the issue at all.
Best thing for me to do is to wait for it to jam or not lock and then take it straight there - and see what they say.
PITA, but dont know what else i can do.
On the plus side much happier about the lack of squeek from my rear seats now... :D

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
well thats what seat call em... :(

Basically, leave the boot lock key in the upright position. This allows the boot to lock/unlock with the central locking.

If you put the key in the lock and turn clockwise to horizontal and remove the key, the boot is now permanently locked no matter what state the other doors are in.

The later of the two above is the one i choose to use all the time. This is because my boot doesnt always lock with the c/l, and i have grown unable to trust the locking on it as I have had several occasions where my friend or myself has been able to get into my boot when the car has been locked. OK, the alarm goes off, but thats not the point - they are still in the car! So i "double lock" the car using the key so that i know its always locked, and dont have to keep checking it. When it goes into the dealers they see this and ASSUME its why i think the boot is jammed shut.
grrrr. I do know how to use a lock dammit !

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
ok last update on this:

Dealer said they had "cleaned the contacts" on the coolant sensor. Well, whatever they did fixed the problem!

So my advice to those with the same problem as me, but without an error in VAG-COM, is that you should clean the contacts on the sensor too. This may solve the problem quickly and easily.
Personally not too sure on what to do, but i assume the sensor is the one going into the coolant tank from the top - so i would unplug the cable and clean it with some alcohol-cleaner or similar.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.