Warning lights and beeps

Chemical Al

Trollied Member
Apr 6, 2004
Craven Arms, Shropshire
Washer level, is it ment to give a warning bleep when it gets low or just run out?

Also with all the fog last night i found it odd that there was no warning lights on the dash saying they were on. :shrug:

Johnsey

SNAFU
Dec 23, 2003
Here & There
www.google.com
Chemical Al said:
Washer level, is it ment to give a warning bleep when it gets low or just run out?
Neither on the Mkiv AFAIK.

Chemical Al said:
Also with all the fog last night i found it odd that there was no warning lights on the dash saying they were on. :shrug:

The lights are next to the light knob - a stupid place for them but thats where they are :)

Last edited:

dmjw01

Upstanding Member
Jul 28, 2005
Woking, UK
www.dmjwilliams.co.uk
On the subject of warning beeps, I've got a question about the "low temperature" warning beep. I'm confused about when it chooses to sound, and when it doesn't.

About 10 days ago it went "bong" for the first time, and it switched the multi-function display to the temperature, which was about 4 degrees. Since then, I've noticed that it sometimes "bongs" and sometimes doesn't. Often when I've got in the car in the last few days it has gone straight to low temperature but the bong hasn't sounded.

I'm just curious to understand its logic. One possibility is that it only bongs if the temperature starts above the threshold and drops below the threshold whilst you're driving. In other words, it doesn't bong if it was already cold when you turned the ignition on. This would make some sense; you already know it's cold because you've just got into the car from outside.

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
and the display changes back at 6c

as for foglights, yeah crap seat design, mk4 polos and golfs have same light switch with the indication on the switch, but also have a warning light come on the dash as the steering wheel hides the light switch

dmjw01

Upstanding Member
Jul 28, 2005
Woking, UK
www.dmjwilliams.co.uk
Chemical Al said:
bongs when it drops below 4 degs, if it is already below then just changes the display
Ah thanks - that's what I thought it must be.

I must say, the low-temp warning is a much nicer sound than the horrible BEEEEEEP :wtf: of the low-fuel warning. Why couldn't they have made the low-fuel a bit more subtle? :shrug:

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
Because running out of fuel is more serious than the external temperature dropping? ;)

The only warning you get that your screenwash has ran out is when you get a streaky smeared windscreen. :( I've gone through a lot of screenwash this past week. I filled it up for the first time since the middle of September last week and it'll probably need done again tomorrow. The roads are filthy at the moment. Hardly a clean car on them. :(

Chemical Al said:
i found the front one ran out, the rear one worked still. must be lower in the resevior

longer pipe run to the rear, thus more water in it.

only works for a couple of squirts!!

if it works at all??
mine's "come undone" for the second year running and winter hasn't even started yet?

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Chemical Al said:

Funny you ask that - when I was first reading a brochure for the Ibiza before I decided to buy, I distinctly remember a "low washer fluid warning" being listed as a feature, but don't know of any Mk4s with it....must've been first on the penny-pinching hit list.

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
Mk4 golf had a nice bong when your fuel went low, just like the low temp warning.

That beep pisses me off for the fuel, can it be silenced via vag-com??

Johnsey

SNAFU
Dec 23, 2003
Here & There
www.google.com
muddyboots said:
Funny you ask that - when I was first reading a brochure for the Ibiza before I decided to buy, I distinctly remember a "low washer fluid warning" being listed as a feature, but don't know of any Mk4s with it....must've been first on the penny-pinching hit list.
It would certainly be a useful feature particularly in this type of weather

chill14

Lodger
Sep 25, 2005
Staffordshire
IainW said:
Definitely. Especially when the bottle isn't that visible so you can see what the level is like.

Definitely be a good idea, although it would be nice to see the level on the washer bottle or access the hoses to drain it, especially as you need to rip half the of the under sheild and wheel arch liner out to access it. I had to drain mine the other day due to the water/screenwash smelling rancid.

Its still not right so i now have to use Recirc on climate control before washing screen but i really can't be :censored: to take all the panels off again.

chill14

Lodger
Sep 25, 2005
Staffordshire
muddyboots said:
:confused: What the hell did you put in it ?

It was meant to be some Carplan screenwash. i think it gone off though as my dad's complaining his bottle stinks too as i put the same stuff in.

Im considering getting some of SEAT genuine stuff as that smells nice while doing a good job rather than this stuff that you need a nose peg to use.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
sounds daft but cos of its high (alcohol?) content the best stuff is Renault's

albeit pink it kills off the smell a treat and works well on screen too

very handy for those using aquamist too im told ;)

and dont forget technically by law you are supposed to check lights and levels before carrying out any journey :):)

dmjw01

Upstanding Member
Jul 28, 2005
Woking, UK
www.dmjwilliams.co.uk
chill14 said:
Im considering getting some of SEAT genuine stuff as that smells nice
Must have been different stuff from whatever the dealer put in mine before they sold it to me. It stank of B.O. - seriously, every time I washed the screen the smell of an east German shot-putter's armpit pervaded the cabin.

By the way, there's no need to drain the screenwash reservoir. If you just hold the lever on wash/wipe it only takes a minute or so to drain the whole bottle.