Warranty issue rejected - advice required please

ganticus

May 5, 2014
Hello,

I have a 66 plate Cupra Black. I bought it from Lookers Seat in Manchester in 2017. They were the first registered keeper. It had been intended for a member of staff who moved on, or so I was told. The car had only done 60 miles when I bought it and had only been used as a demonstrator.

I spotted some bubbling and rust on the roof before Christmas 2019 - just before the 3 year warranty expired. I notified my local dealership - Letchworth Seat. The car was eventually inspected and found to have a greater thickness of paint on the roof than elsewhere on the car. On that basis, Letchworth rejected the request to repair under warranty because they believed the roof had been repainted/resprayed at some point. Manchester denied knowledge and provided a screenshot of the vehicle history which did not indicate any tampering had taken place.

I contacted SEAT CS to lodge a formal complaint feeling that someone was being dishonest. Having spoken to both dealers, Seat CS said that were unable to take it further and the case was effectively closed from their point of view. They advised me to go to the Motoring Ombudsman but this feels very unsatisfactory.

I was about to push the button on a new Cupra but won't now.

I am raging at this. I would welcome any advice as to what I should do.

Many thanks.

Sword

Apr 22, 2019
Winchester
If Manchester did do a previous repair they wouldn't note that anywhere on the vehicle history as this would've been invoices internally if at all.

This will have to be taken up with manchester only as letchworth has evidence of a greater paint depth in that area indicating a previous repair.

It's a tough one to win unfortunately due to the amount of time between your purchase and the complaint Manchester can simply say this could have been you.

Always a risk you take when buying a second hand vehicle, you could get a private inspector but the time and cost might be a lot more than paying to have it fixed yourself, that's even it can even be proved as theres no guarantee to prove when the repair happened.

I know it's not what you wana here but having worked in warranty I know how hard these things are to have authorised.

Adrian300

Jun 10, 2019
Having worked as a warranty manager for vw/skoda dealers previously, i would say the car had transport damage. This is where the car either gets damaged at port or during delivery to the dealer on the transporters. Roof damage is quite common tbf aswell. I would speak to the dealer and ask if there was a transport damage claim put down on this car. Unless the dealer did the damage they would not ever chose to pay for it ti be repaired if it wasnt their fault.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Reactions: SRGTD and Walone

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Having worked as a warranty manager for vw/skoda dealers previously, i would say the car had transport damage. This is where the car either gets damaged at port or during delivery to the dealer on the transporters. Roof damage is quite common tbf aswell. I would speak to the dealer and ask if there was a transport damage claim put down on this car. Unless the dealer did the damage they would not ever chose to pay for it ti be repaired if it wasnt their fault.

When I read @ganticus ’s initial post, I did wonder if there might have been a transit damage repair to the roof, as damage during transportation from the factory to the dealer can and does happen.

If the car was damaged during transit and then subsequently repaired, I’m assuming there’ll be a record of repairs somewhere within the Seat organisation. Presumably, there’ll be an internal cost transaction for the repairs that’s been charged to the ‘relevant department’ within Seat that picks up the cost of these types of transit damage repairs. @ganticus; it might be worth seeing if you can get Seat CS or the dealer to investigate.

It might also be worth getting a local car detailing company to measure the paint thickness on the roof and other panels, to confirm whether or not the roof has actually been repainted, in case the dealer is trying to fob you off, rather than submitting a warranty claim on your behalf.

Please keep the forum updated on progress and the outcome if you do pursue this further.

Reactions: Adrian300

Adrian300

Jun 10, 2019
Yep all transit repairs get submitted through the warranty system saga/2. Customer service should be able to check this for you.

GeoffGeoff

Feb 1, 2020
Are you chopping it in against a new car (Cupra or otherwise) in the near future?

If so and it’s not too noticeable I’d save yourself the headache, quick touch up if necessary with paint pen and some polish, and just crack on with the part ex coz they won’t give you more for it if you get it sorted (unless it’s really bad?) and I fear you’ll potentially spend more in wasted time if you pursue it.

Of course that’s just me but you’ve got to ask yourself if it’s worth the hassle if you’re changing soon anyway. Might be different story if you’re keeping for a few more years or the paint is actually flaking off or selling privately maybe.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.