Wastegate chatter

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
I want to here my waste gate chatter like a good en! i have a quick shift induction kit, a baily re-circ DV and she is going to be revoved.

Any ideas on how to get this noise louder?? my mates cupra bezzer makes a little chatter every so often and he has just got a turbo smart DV.

Another mate has a fiesta RS turbo and he put a filter on and the noise the waste gate mad was emense!

Please jim could you fix it for me!!!! :roflmao: :thumbup:

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
Thought I read in EVO this month (or last) that Wastegate Chatter doesn't actually exist. That the sounds from turbo cars can often be the turbo stalling which is not good. I'll try and find the article......

What have you done with the cold air intake on the induction kit? problem is kits like the AEM CAI that are quite loud don't fit the LCR.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
chatter/flutter sound is not a healthy thing for your turbo.... (unless its built for it WRC styleee - ker-ching$$$)

Compressor stall and watsegate flutter... Just disconnect your DV vacuum pipe... (joking btw!!) and you will get it. - NOT ADVISED. BAD for Turbo

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
Jun 28, 2001
to get the sound you are after you need to get an uprated actuator ie group a spec .correct me if im wrong but i think forge do one....

slim_boy_fat

Ap_coupe said:
How does a external wastegate work? Cau u have 1 on the mk3 cupra. And are there any real reason 2 have an externall wastegate

Probably just frees up space around the turbo.

External wastegates are surprisingl big BTW.

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
How is waste gate cahtter gona kill the turbo? maybe im not talking about the rite thing, im after the noise it makes that goes like DDDDDDDIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRRRLLLLLLL. !!!

cuprabaz

Racing 2020VT
Jun 22, 2004
Aberdeenshire
buy a pulsar, if you fit a certain dv to them they make this noise!

Sounds like a Hks ssq with added chirping chattery noise!! :confused:

Or you could just go and watch a rally and listen to all the wastegates chirping and be happy with that!! ;)

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
cuprabaz said:
buy a pulsar, if you fit a certain dv to them they make this noise!

Sounds like a Hks ssq with added chirping chattery noise!! :confused:

Or you could just go and watch a rally and listen to all the wastegates chirping and be happy with that!! ;)

No i want min eto make this noise!!!!!
I could do but i odnt like nissan micras!!!!!!!!!

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
Ap_coupe said:
Could someone explain why does a rally car use the wastegate so much? Why is it not doing damage to there turbo?

AFAIK the chirp is the turbo stalling and it is a problem for the WRC cars, it has a 360 degree bearing to help with this and the turbo is changed and/or refurbished per rally if not sooner, the road going turbo has a longer life span....we hope.

Does anyone know if they still fit anti-lag systems to WRC cars and does this help or hinder??

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Ap_coupe said:
Could someone explain why does a rally car use the wastegate so much? Why is it not doing damage to there turbo?

Do you think WRC cars, running antilag run turbos like our cars?

I think you know the answer to that...

Special, very tough materials (ker ching$$) in theirs and they still bin them at the end of an event and during events cos they dont last.

aspro

You need to get an external waste gate from an audi S2 / Urs4 / Urs6 / or Ur quattro RR 20v.

Then you need to have it venting down its own pipe instead of through the exhaust system to get maximum noise.

Then unhook your BOV / DV to make the WG bounce and smile, for around 30 miles untill you pull a turbine blade into cylinder 1, that then snaps a valve which ends up through your number 1 piston.

Then call the AA / RAC and wait an hour in the rain.

When you finally get the car home and spend big money and time fixing it, act realy smart trying to convince everyone it was worth it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Waste gate chatter / turbo stall. What ever you want to call it , its certainly not a good noise to have on your daily driver.

Now if your running standalone and can tune things to the n th degree then there might be some advantages to it. But buy a much better trubo first

Last edited by a moderator:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.