Water damage

cupra_ad

Sep 18, 2008
Yesterday I went through a flood about 1 foot deep because there was no other way to get from where I was visiting. Got through the flood perfectly fine but then about 15 yards down the road the engine just died.

Managed to get her started again after about 30 mins and a lot of smoke was coming out of the rear from where the water was burning off...

Car was driving ok from then, starts still every time but when I accelerate aggressively up past 4000rpm the car just dies and a light on the dash comes on, the ABS fault one.. number 18 i think it is...

Today i've removed the spark plugs, rung the engine briefly to burn any water, dried the plugs and put them back. Took the airbox and filter to pieces and these are drying currently in the airing cupboard over night.

Is there anything else I need to dry off? What could be causing the power loss when accelerating aggressively? A mechanic friend said its probs just the plugs not being able to contact properly and deal with the increased power... not so sure though!

Car still boosts...

any ideas?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Wow, how fast did you hit the water?

Water doesn't burn, so don't run the engine until you've got it out of the system.

If it's got into the inlet, then you will want to find the low point on your intake system (what model?) and drain anything that might be in there.

Hopefully you've not sucked any into the actual engine - but if you have whip out the plugs & turn it over.. if you turn it over with the plugs in you could well do a lot of damage.

If water spits out, then you may have some issues.

cookie1978

Jun 17, 2009
huddersfield
If the air filter is wet then under heavy acceleration it my well be trying to suck in the water from the filter, lucky your conrods havnt gone through the engine block or bent any valves. If the filters wet then your car will be struggling to get air.
Id buy a new filter for what its worth.

M1KEH

M1KE
Oct 27, 2007
The Middle
If it ran afterwards your unlikely to have done long term engine damage. Spray all your electrical connectors in your engine bay with wd-40 to try and lose the water.

cupra_ad

Sep 18, 2008
thanks fellas

I wipped the spark plugs out and turned the engine over, got a little bit of steamy smoke but only tiny bit, the plugs were dirty so just cleaned them all up.

Took the air filter out and put it in the airing cupboard to dry it out, and dryed the box out coz it was soaked... dryed the maf out too then put it all back together. Gonna pick up a new air filter tomorrow anyway because its still slightly damp.

Just took it for a drive now and it seems fine, pulls all the way to 5500rpm easily, didnt die like before. Left her in the garage tonight with a couple of strip heaters on to dry out a bit more, hopefully she will be ok!

I'm a lucky man!

cupra_ad

Sep 18, 2008
Wow, how fast did you hit the water?

Water doesn't burn, so don't run the engine until you've got it out of the system.

If it's got into the inlet, then you will want to find the low point on your intake system (what model?) and drain anything that might be in there.

Hopefully you've not sucked any into the actual engine - but if you have whip out the plugs & turn it over.. if you turn it over with the plugs in you could well do a lot of damage.

If water spits out, then you may have some issues.

Hit the water fairly slowly, 10mph id say, not too sure thought it kinda happened in a flash and then boom she died.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise