Water in spare wheel well

• Thread starter Deleted member 93371
  • Start date

Deleted member 93371

Noticed today my back seats were damp and looking into it further noticed a nice pool in my wheel well managed to dry it out and now got the boot carpet bit drying but does anyone know where to start looking for the cause?

The water was clear so I would say it's not a leaking rear washer. I noticed vents in the wheel well with rubber flaps could these be the cause?

The carpet up the sides and the roof are all dry so I would guess the leak is coming from low down.

locky

May 5, 2014
North East
Seems unlikely its leaking upwards through the wheel recess.

The usual place for the rear screen wash to leak is the footwell behind the driver seat.

Maybe getting in through one of the rear light clusters. I noticed a little bit of water could enter through the seals of the cluster set in my boot hatch, as a bit used to be visible between the trim and boot after washing the car. I tightened them up a bit (not too tight) and its been fine ever since.

Last edited:

Deleted member 93371

My off side rear light does get really bad condensation but had it off quite a few times and tighten it up really well but will give it another go.

Never noticed the carpet in that area wet either.

The footwell is fine as well almost sure it's just water getting from somewhere straight to wheel well. I have a plastic fitted cover for boot as well and that is never wet on top it's always underneath that that is wet

locky

May 5, 2014
North East
Dont do the clusters up too tight, the seals work best if they are secure but not as tight as you would do up a usual nut or bolt.
Obviously it could be the seal between the lens and casing of the light cluster rather than the seal behind it.

Maybe you need to actively test where its coming from. Get the hose or pressure waser on the backend, then check to see if you have any wet coming in through the wiper hole, rear screen, clusters in the wing behind the trim or the boot clusters.

Last edited:

Deleted member 93371

Yeah got the hose out when I got home, it is coming from the rear light area that has bad condensation there's a couple of pics below.

I can't find how the water is getting into there though as its not coming from behind the light itself not sure if water can get through the screw hole or something.

locky

May 5, 2014
North East
I guess if the condensation is inside the unit then the leak is in the lens or where the lens joins the case - rather than the seal of the unit - or maybe both.

I would check everywhere to see there is nowhere else leaking :)

Last edited:

Deleted member 93371

Found the source of the leak, the water is running down the side of light and along the seal and down behind the bumper and its then somehow getting between the panel and running down the inside of the boot then under the carpet. Pain in the arse but it's all sealed now :)

eedsa

Feb 9, 2016
Hi Callum929,

Apologies for dragging this up 12 months later but did you have to take off the rear bumper to solve the leak? I have the same problem with my MK 2.

Deleted member 93371

Yeah bumper off and it was towards the middle it was getting in so just covered it in sealant.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.