Water in the intercooler pipes?

sahar

Dec 3, 2008
Eastleigh, Hants
Hi,

Recently I have noticed a small oil leak coming from the small hole in the EGR valve. Also noticed that the leak where the boost pipe (driver side) connects to the intercooler is much bigger i.e. not a dump oil patch but a proper leak (I mean not dripping out constantly but over a week there was a trace of fresh leak on the undertray)

Took the car to the garage and I was told that there was water in the boost system. All the pipes(turbo->intercooler->EGR/inlet manifold) have been cleaned, no turbo oil leaks.

Today (only four days and around 800 miles after that) I checked the car and there is a leak (oil, water ?) from EGR again.

Could you enlighten me how it is possible for the water to get into the intercooler pipes (apparently there is no hole in the intercooler itself as it has been checked) and what I should/can do with this problem?
Has anyone come across this kind of problem?

thanks for any info
car is Altea 1.9 TDI

sssstew

Editing your spelling
thats crazy, the intercooler in the TDI is a air to air one so no coolant is involved. Coolant water is only for the engine and heater and oil cooler in the TDI so really dont know how youve got it in the intercooler. Oil yes, that does get in but not water?!

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
it lookls like the Altea has an exhaust gas cooler on the EGR valve, so coolant leak from that location is possible. However I don't see how it is possible for water or coolant to get from there into the intercooler, against the flow of the inlet charge.

Like sssstew, I don't understand how water can be getting into the intercooler of the boost system unless it's somehow getting into the manifold between the air filter and the turbocharger.

sahar

Dec 3, 2008
Eastleigh, Hants
I was as surprised as you guys when was told it was water. And not the coolant (this would be impossible anyway) but water (I mean water with oil obviously - the liquid is black as oil but not that thick I guess)

I think that only way in would be through a hole in the intercooler (e.g rain water) but I have got the undertray fitted and cannot see how the water could get there anyway just by normal driving - its not like I'm driving on the flooded road or something....

The air filter is clean and dry so not coming from there.

Was told in the garage that this is nothing to worry about as most of the TDIs EGR leak.
it was not leaking before so not really convinced and I guess any amount of water near the inlet is not a good thing.

I guess I will keep on wiping the leak from EGR off :shrug: and just keep on eye on how bad the leak is.

At first I thought it was only oil leak from the turbo (but hoping it was not actually) which just got blown through the intercooler and up to the EGR but now no idea at all :(

sssstew

Editing your spelling
yeah crankcase vapours put oil into the intake system, not the water that sahar is referring to.

It is common for the EGR valve to leak on the TDIs, from what ive heard replacement is the fix if you dont want to keep wiping it off. Its not a worry point.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.