Water injection or Intercooler Spray?

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
That what you meant by intercooler spray was'nt it?
It can help yes... but if thinking water spray on std ibiza SMIC and water injection on std ibiza SMIc I woudl go water injection for best improvement.

Depends on where you're starting from I guess.

Simon L

Audi TTS
Sep 24, 2004
Glasgow
Just looking at cost VS gain.

The water misting kit is about £50. The ERL WMI is what.. about £300?

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
aye, and the returns more than likely in-line with expenditure too.

all depends on if your sticking with stock SMIC as to what to do next

cuprabaz

Racing 2020VT
Jun 22, 2004
Aberdeenshire
i went for water/methanol injection and it seems to make a difference!

Although i haven't looked at the temps on vag-com due to laptop battery being pish and only lasting 5 mins!

My pump runs 120psi which was far to much so i've screwed it back until there was an improvement in performance. Lots of buggering about but i think i've got it close to running OK!! LOL

I've got a switch mounted in my pillar pod so i can turn the whole system off and you can actually feel the car pull better with the WMI on!

BenS1

Jun 26, 2001
West Sussex, England
Visit site
I've got both, although not using intercooler water spray now as I've got rid of my old FMIC and got a chargecooler instead.

IMO water injection gives much better results because it not only reduces the charge temperature (making the air more denser) but also helps prevent detonation, thereby allowin you to run more ignition advance, which in turn gives more power.

Ben

cuprabaz

Racing 2020VT
Jun 22, 2004
Aberdeenshire
i haven't advanced the timing or up'd the boost (only running 1.1Bar)yet due to the std IC and heat issues but once the FMIC is fitted i'm sure a trip down to STAR will be booked to get the whole lot set up and see how much more Jim can get out of it!!

I had 229 bhp and 230lbf-ft before, how much more with water/methanol, FMIC, advanced timing and more boost should i expect?

i was thinking around 20bhp and 20-40lbf-ft of torque, am i close??

BenS1

Jun 26, 2001
West Sussex, England
Visit site
cuprabaz said:
i haven't advanced the timing or up'd the boost (only running 1.1Bar)yet due to the std IC and heat issues but once the FMIC is fitted i'm sure a trip down to STAR will be booked to get the whole lot set up and see how much more Jim can get out of it!!

I had 229 bhp and 230lbf-ft before, how much more with water/methanol, FMIC, advanced timing and more boost should i expect?

i was thinking around 20bhp and 20-40lbf-ft of torque, am i close??

I would guess at maybe 15bhp. Thats based on what I remember of Bills back to back rolling road runs, one with Water Injection turned off and the other with it turned on.

I think you don't necessarily need to advance the ignition by remapping it, the lack of detonation will allow the timing to be more advanced automatically (Or more accurately, it wont be retarded by the knock sensor as much as it used to).

Ben

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
LCR mat said:
how does the WMI work where is the water pumped in exactly?

ERL (Aquamist) say to install the jet as close after the intercooler outlet as possible and before the throttle..
Seen some USA cars fit 2 injector ports into their inlet manifolds, which did'nt seem right to me, but they did previously have injector in Aquamist suggested position. :confused:
Idea of post Ic injector port being it allows the mist to absorb the heat for as long an induction path as you have... maximising the heat reduction.

LCR mat

LCR Eater
Apr 4, 2004
merthyr Tydfil
how does it work is it simply on or off or do you inject when wanted ala nitros?
controler in car? how much work to fit?how much does it reduce intake temps by?

Simon L

Audi TTS
Sep 24, 2004
Glasgow
Activated when inlet manifold pressure reaches a set level. (ie: 0.8 bar, or 1.0 bar, etc...)

I'd also like to know how hard it is to fit, and how much the temps will drop by on a remapped cupra with standard SMIC?

ibizacupra said:
SCN discounted price of £299.99+vat & delivery
Basic System 1S

Bill,

That reminds me, i still need to sort you out with an order for my water injection bits, kinda been very busy since before chrimbo so it kinda got forgoten about!

When i'm back from Finland in Feb i will confirm what parts i'm after!

Cheers,

Paul.

(apologies for the thread hijack!)

cuprabaz

Racing 2020VT
Jun 22, 2004
Aberdeenshire
It's fairly easy to install if ur now ur way around the engine bay.

my kit starts injecting around 11psi and progressively increases with the boost pressure, similar to the Aquamist S2 kit i think?? Bill?

Not sure about the intake temp reductions because of crap laptop battery and lack of vag-com knowledge. Why aren't the measuring blocks named? Is there a key or something similar anywhere?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.