water leak driver's side - game on

costa

Hi Guys,

Right so I've stripped out the wipers amd scuttle plate aned cleaned as much as I can in the area where water drains from under the scuttle panel in to the wing. Flushed area with water and had no leak over bonnet pull in car but a new leak at rear of pedals - not too worried about this as I shot water well back under the scuttle where normally you would not expect water to reach and it had not leaked here before. There are a couple of places where there could be a hole in the bulkhead seam which I will seal just in case. But generally the area looks well sealed but clearly there must be a hole somewhere.

The plate which covers the whole where the large cable goes through looks pretty well sealed but when all dried out I will run some sealant round anyway.

One thing that I am not sure about and would like advice please is that behind the plate where the cable goes through the bulkhead there is a pad, which looks like one of those pads which you wipe condensation off your windows with but it's not. It appears to be loose round the edges and is soaking wet. Don't want to pull it out incase it is fixed in the middle where I can't see or feel. Any ideas what it is?

I will keep you posted on progress over the next few days.

costa

Driver's side leak - game on

Thanks but this pad is about 6inches by 4inches. There is some normal padding material of the type you get behind trim.

costa

driver's side leak-game on

just checked again and pad larger than I thought it runs from the base of the scuttle up under and towards the windscreen so you are probably right in it being some sort of sound deadening pad.

jskelton555

Feb 23, 2008
staffordshire
i had same problem and only noticed it when i cleaned the area with a airline and it revealed a hole that had never been sealed, i looked twice before this and could not see it due to silt and dust hiding it!it was below bonnet cable at the edge

Nov 25, 2007
Derby
have you cheaked the door seals my dads leon seals went on both doors just a idea i think there commen on leons and golfs.

costa

Hi Adam Kelly,

Thanks for your post. I have had the door seals done. The current leak is running from above the bonnet release cable. Plenty of posts on here about this. Usually a small hole in the bulkhead seam under the wiper scuttle panel. I can't see a hole in my seam but going to seal it anyway.

Nov 25, 2007
Derby
Hope you sort it out i had a problem once on a old car looked every were found out it was the window screen the bonding seal than holds the screen in was shot.Good luck in finding the leak

costa

Adam Kelly , Thanks I was going to seal the windscreen anyway on the basis that whilst I am at it I might as well seal everything.
Costa

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.