Water leak into footwell - dodgy seal info and DIY repair guide (Image links dead)

ajmally100

Oct 11, 2009
Edinburgh
Just finished re-doing the seal having done the silicone seal previously. The silicone was in good condition in places, but when reading the last 2 posts, I think the reason it failed was because I didnt let it cure properly. Taping the windows, doing it in dry weather or under cover is sooo important or it wont work....

I spent ages getting the old silicone off, and it was quite a job to be fair but managed to get the Seat cord fired on. It is quite chunky and it was difficult get the panel on tight but hopefully it will work. I personally think the silicone would work better as it gets into all the corners to provide a complete seal. Just need to keep the rain away!!! I hope this new stuff works.... I'll let you know...

I also took a load of photos.... http://s1025.photobucket.com/albums/y312/ajmally100/Leon Mk 1 Door Seal Fixing/

Rauer

anyone think its worth doing the regulator clips etc while the panel is off?

Rauer

oh right didnt realise that! have just orderd some clips off another seller £3.59 deliverd!

ajmally100

Oct 11, 2009
Edinburgh
I don't think this sets mate, i think it stays as it is.

Good pics though :)

I meant the silicone the first time. I never gave it enough time to set. Should have done what you did and tape the windows!!!

Yeah, the new stuff from seat just gets put on and well... that's it! hope it works! soon find out

Grippo

Sep 14, 2010
Manchester
Does anyone have a similar situation to this...
Open the front doors and a loads water pours out from the sill. This usually prevents it dripping into the front footwells whilst driving.
Open the back doors and only a little water on the sills, but the back footwells are already soaked.
The front footwells don't get wet unless I drive and the motion forces it in. But the back ones seem to get wet whilst parked. The side of the interior under the door is dry but the footwells wet.... Is this definately how the back ones get wet, with it pouring in over the sill... I would expect the sides to be wet also

Ha. Was waiting for someone to say this... I have thought the same but would expect the sides to be wet. Someone mentioned putting talc down to see where it leaks from. I may give this a go

Some good posts in the last two pages - useful stuff. although none of it helps me with my dilema.

So i did the talc test. Towel dried the rear footwells. covered the door sill and the side of the footwell leading up the the door with talc (you know, the step part), speaker - Pretty much covered every surface i thought water could get in from.

Havent opened the rear door for a few days as I actually wanted it to leak on this occasion.

Today, I have a small puddle in my rear footwell but cannot see where the water has poured in. The talc is in the same state. :wtf: Im assuming i should see little lines where water has leaked in and taken the talc with it.

I really cant work out how the back is getting so wet. I hoped this would finall settle my mind. I cant be the only person with the apparent lack of evidence of a water leak as described on page one (apart from the wet sills).

Grippo

Sep 14, 2010
Manchester
upper carpet seems dry as waters running under the underlay through to the back.

The front seems dry though. And I thought only leaked when driving. The front sills do carry a lot of water though so I think I'll talc the front up and see if it actually leaks through the night

dvance

Mar 23, 2010
Keep in mind it could still be coming in through the pollen filter housing, or a particular wiring loom somewhere around the steering column I believe.

That was the case with my car.

Fuelwatcher

Aug 21, 2003
Horsham, West Sussex
Visit site
Hi All

Looking for some emergency help and then a few add. questions.

Afer the overnight torrential rain my rear footell is no longer squelchy but under a few inches of water and sloshing around. I have no undercover place to do the full fix at this precise moment and the weather is going be no help at present therefore I need a temporary fix no matter how garish it might be. One idea I had was to duckj tape a bin liner from just above the speaker on the inside of the drivers door and then place it so it just peeped out from under the door one the ouside. THis way any water breaking the seal hit the bag and ended up outside. This would prevent my car from turning into a portable swimming pool.

As for long term, other than a dooor panel witha few broken clips how much damage can one do if carrying out the fix on page 1 of this topic? I am fearful of getting to a stage where my window won't close or the door won't lock lol.

As always appreciate any help one can give.

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
Yeah using the bin liner/thick plastic as been done before.
Also use tape where the glass meets the rubber bit on the outside of the door to help reduce the water entering the door.

Grippo

Sep 14, 2010
Manchester
Thanks guys, emergency bin liner will be in place tonight and then I'll have a crack at the door come the weekend pending weather.

Surely this would catch ALL the water. If placed to catch the water dripping from under the door, wouldnt it also catch the water that usually leaks out as well as the water that leaks in - still prevents wet footwells though i suppose.

Ive had inch deep water in the past as per pic. At the moment it is starting to show above the carpet so looks like i have another job with a jug and towel tonight.

Footwell.jpg

I thought about what people were saying that the water may come from under the underlay in the front - although the front appears wet it is ever so slightly damp if i push down hard enough.

I may do the bin bag trick also, and if it doesnt flood my car then i suppose it does confirm it is coming through the doors.

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.