Water leak into footwell - dodgy seal info and DIY repair guide (Image links dead)

paul27uk

Thanks for t he info. So you say that I do actually need to remove the regulator plate, rather then just loosen. I need to remove the foam and then place the new one on? Or did I read that wrong?

Skii

Jul 14, 2007
Slough
Thanks for this guide - very useful indeed.

I'll be dropping into B+Q tomorrow for some sealant, and hope to get my Car watertight very soon...

paul27uk

Well I managed to do the door, you could clearly see that the foam type seal had worn away on the lower corner. I went to VW, got the sealing strip and did the repair. Checked all around the seal with a mate and it seemed pretty water tight.

Anyways, left the car at work over the weekend until this morning and although it doesn't seem to have gathered, it's leaking still from the door as the bottom of the puter panel (door inerior) is still wet. Nightmare!

Gonna have another look at it later, fingers crossed.

Skii

Jul 14, 2007
Slough
Just checked my car after several hours of rain - no water on the sills at all, a bit early to tell if there is anything leaking into the footwells but the tell-tale signs certainly aren't there.

I'm really chuffed - thanks again for this guide, it was a very easy fix and only cost me £8 for a tube of outdoor sealant. Now I've just got to concentrate on getting the smell out of the carpet, shake & vac and time should hopefully sort that out ..

cheers

John

b21playa

oil burner
Jan 10, 2005
Birmingham
My car seems to only get wet in the back. I have checked the drain holes and they seem clear. Does this mean I need to put sealent on the inner part where the foam seal was?

saying that I checkedtoday after raiin last night and only the rear passenger side is wet.

paul27uk

My car is still gathering water like it's coming from Gloucester! No wonder there are shortages, it's in my bloody car!

Gonna have a look witha mate tomorrow, will be interesting to see if it's from the place i sealed or if that looks intact.

teds1969

Jul 27, 2007
hello i own an 02 plate toledo and have just noted the rear passenger carpet resembles a swimming pool. Unfortunately there is no local seat dealership but paid a visit to the local vag dealership who will repair all 4 door seals for £141.00

bigfella_V5

MG ZS 180 - V6
Feb 25, 2007
At that price its actually worth taking it to them to do it! Because if the repair is unsuccessful you can take it back.

Desumacchi

Well, unfortunately it doesn't surprise this this thread is so large. :(

I too have this water leak problem recently on my 53 plate Leon. Tried to speak to the dealership and Seat UK Head office about the problem, and of course they aren't in the slightest bit interested because the car is about 8 months out of its warranty.

Been quoted £175 by the dealership to have it repaired.

Of course I could try to do the repair myself - but i really don't think i should have to considering it's a faulty part and the nature of the problem. So on this note I rang the Office of Fair Trading who have said it is pretty unreasonable for a car of that age to have literally litres of water sitting in the footwells.

I even tried to go down Seat's 'good will' procedure. But of course i was refused on the fact the car was out of warranty and the fact I dont have a full Seat Service History.

Quite what a full Seat service history has to do with it is beyond me. They claim its about showing 'loyalty' to the Seat brand. To which i naturally had to respond 'where is your loyalty to me as a customer'. Of course if there servicing costs were comparable / competitive against independants, then I would no doubt have used them... but not when they are significantly higher!

So the plan, considering the advice i have been given by the OFT is to take them to the small claims court under a breach of the 'Sale of Goods Act' guise. This being that that the car has been fitted with a faulty part, which should not reasonably have failed in such a relatively short space of time.

I guess these large companies are more than a little frustrating when it comes to admitting fault with their products.

If anybody would like to join me on this - please contact me by email initially :
[email protected]

Similarly if anyone is willing for me to give details of their similar problem in an attempt to get Seat to stop fitting these types of seals in its cars, then again feel free to contact me. Any details sent to me I will not share with anyone else other than Seat themselves and the County Court (if it goes that far)

If people are interested, I shall keep you updated on how i get on.

bigfella_V5

MG ZS 180 - V6
Feb 25, 2007
Its not about loyalty, its the fact that you haven't lined their pockets!

The extra cost on servicing would probably more than cover paying to get it repaired. I say good luck and I hope they admit the fault.

Rhyme

Just found this thread and it doesn't look too good.

Picked up my 02 Plate Leon TDi last week and the rear passenger footwell is very soggy even when the others are dry, going to go and see the sales man and tell him to get it sorted - hopefully.

Also whenever it rains and I open the drivers door a flood falls from the top of the door down onto either me or if it is windy - the drivers seat - is this related to the same issue?

I really don't fancy doing this one myself so hopefully it will get sorted under the 30 day warranty.

Desumacchi

Just found this thread and it doesn't look too good.

Picked up my 02 Plate Leon TDi last week and the rear passenger footwell is very soggy even when the others are dry, going to go and see the sales man and tell him to get it sorted - hopefully.

Also whenever it rains and I open the drivers door a flood falls from the top of the door down onto either me or if it is windy - the drivers seat - is this related to the same issue?

I really don't fancy doing this one myself so hopefully it will get sorted under the 30 day warranty.

Yes, they are both issues relating to the door seals in the car. My advice is to get all 4 done. Having spoken to a dealership in some length about the problem, all of the seals WILL fail eventually, even if some haven't gone just yet.

Rhyme

Thanks mate, going to see the Seat Dealership tomorrow, I work for Arnold Clark so hopefully get it done at discount prices. I shall get all four done as its pointless getting two done.

Only problem is that the carpet is soaked and I can hear water when I brake hard (although this might also be my diesel tank) - thanks mate.

What exactly should I request be changed? Or shall they know what I am talking about once I goto the service Desk?

Last edited by a moderator:

Desumacchi

Thanks mate, going to see the Seat Dealership tomorrow, I work for Arnold Clark so hopefully get it done at discount prices. I shall get all four done as its pointless getting two done.

Only problem is that the carpet is soaked and I can hear water when I brake hard (although this might also be my diesel tank) - thanks mate.

What exactly should I request be changed? Or shall they know what I am talking about once I goto the service Desk?

If you go in and say your door seals are leaking, they will know exactly what you mean. Also, I forgot to mention it in my last post, but when I had mine done, they did the 'bulkhead' seal as well. (i'm not entirely where this seal is or exactly what they are meaning) ... but they clearly felt it was necessary to change it too.

It may also be wise to ask them to check the pollen filter is sitting correctly.

The other thing i advise you get them to do is lift the carpets and dry the whole car out. The problem is the 'sloshing' your hearing is where the water collects in 'cavity's ' (best way i can think of describing them i'm afraid) under the carpets. If you dont have the carpets lifted - the water will take weeks and weeks to dry out properly.... which is obviously a bad thing. I havent seen the depth of these cavity's myself - but for you to be able to hear sloshing (as i could) implies they are quite deep!

For them to lift the carpets and dry the car out, it requires them removing the seats etc. So expect your car to be in the garage for at least a whole day - and probably overnight.

Hope that helps.

andyj

There's no F in Quality..
just a bit of a note to those who have DIY'd the sealing cord......

Take your carpet out and the sound proofing underneath it, and dry them out properly.

Me and Pete removed the entire interior from my LCR yesterday to run the speaker cables etc down to the boot, and the sound proofing was literally soaked in water.

Took the descision to leave the sound proofing out, and take it home in the boot and then dry it out properly.

Will be doing the sealing cord on all 4 doors this week during the evenings, as there was a serious amount of water in all 4 footwells.

Rhyme

If you go in and say your door seals are leaking, they will know exactly what you mean. Also, I forgot to mention it in my last post, but when I had mine done, they did the 'bulkhead' seal as well. (i'm not entirely where this seal is or exactly what they are meaning) ... but they clearly felt it was necessary to change it too.

It may also be wise to ask them to check the pollen filter is sitting correctly.

The other thing i advise you get them to do is lift the carpets and dry the whole car out. The problem is the 'sloshing' your hearing is where the water collects in 'cavity's ' (best way i can think of describing them i'm afraid) under the carpets. If you dont have the carpets lifted - the water will take weeks and weeks to dry out properly.... which is obviously a bad thing. I havent seen the depth of these cavity's myself - but for you to be able to hear sloshing (as i could) implies they are quite deep!

For them to lift the carpets and dry the car out, it requires them removing the seats etc. So expect your car to be in the garage for at least a whole day - and probably overnight.

Hope that helps.

Thanks buddy,

Car is booked into my work on Wednesday (I work at a Ford/Mazda dealership however they are going to have a look at it as it is under a 30 day warranty during which time they would carry out the necessary work).

I have identified that 3 of the 4 doors are leaking (the 2 o/s and drivers n/s are leaking) and I have also identified that the "slushing" noise is actually water which is being retained in the o/s rear door behind the door card. My father in law had the same problem with his fabia VRs and has informed me that it only happens when the car is sitting on a camber, however hopefully they shall get it sorted out when it is in the week - I am expecting the car to be in until Friday so anything before then is a bonus - giving them 3 full days to work on the car.

Thanks again for the pointers.

Mark

Desumacchi

Thanks buddy,

Car is booked into my work on Wednesday (I work at a Ford/Mazda dealership however they are going to have a look at it as it is under a 30 day warranty during which time they would carry out the necessary work).

I have identified that 3 of the 4 doors are leaking (the 2 o/s and drivers n/s are leaking) and I have also identified that the "slushing" noise is actually water which is being retained in the o/s rear door behind the door card. My father in law had the same problem with his fabia VRs and has informed me that it only happens when the car is sitting on a camber, however hopefully they shall get it sorted out when it is in the week - I am expecting the car to be in until Friday so anything before then is a bonus - giving them 3 full days to work on the car.

Thanks again for the pointers.

Mark

Unless i'm mistaken - you haven't bought the car from a Seat dealership? (maybe i've misunderstood).... Anyways...

Just to let you know though - Seat have modified the seals to those doors..... (completely changed what they are made of).... also - just to make you totally aware, if your carpets are soaking - you will have water sat in the above mentioned cavitys in your car.

Another thing - my car is on totally flat ground (ie not a camber) and it leaked like the proverbial sieve!!!! The seals degrade over a short space of time... they were just made of the wrong material.

Either which way, or whatever you decide to do - i hope you have a dry car soon......

Last edited by a moderator:

andyj

There's no F in Quality..
tackled my LCR last night, and managed to get all 4 doors done, old seals removed and new one fitted, in just under an hour and a half ;)

the old gasket/seal is a foam one, and you can see where it has degraded to allow the water through.

The new seal is a rubberised putty, that you compress between the door panel and the door itself.

The box I bought from the dealer had 4 reels of the new seal, you only need about 3 of them to do the 4 doors.

Rhyme

Unless i'm mistaken - you haven't bought the car from a Seat dealership? (maybe i've misunderstood).... Anyways...

Just to let you know though - Seat have modified the seals to those doors..... (completely changed what they are made of).... also - just to make you totally aware, if your carpets are soaking - you will have water sat in the above mentioned cavitys in your car.

Another thing - my car is on totally flat ground (ie not a camber) and it leaked like the proverbial sieve!!!! The seals degrade over a short space of time... they were just made of the wrong material.

Either which way, or whatever you decide to do - i hope you have a dry car soon......

Thanks Desumacchi,

The car was purchased from an Arnold Clark Mazda dealership however we have dealerships with over 20 manufacturers and they are all connected so my work is going to look at it and hopefully carry out the work and simply get the parts from the Seat dealership.

I am making a note of all the information on here to pass onto the guys looking at the car so we can get it sorted as quickly as possible without them pissing about with the actual door seals around the door (which they are no doubt going to attempt to replace instead).

Going to re-test all the doors again today, however really they should be sorting all four doors in my opinion.