Water leak into footwell - dodgy seal info and DIY repair guide (Image links dead)

Zo1989

Sep 23, 2015
Did you actually dry out the footwells after doing the door liner and pollen filter? It holds a surprising amount under the carpet.

Did you use sealant when putting the pollen filter housing back in place and make sure the cover and its skirts were positioned correctly (old ones can be a bit misshapen over the years).

Did you clear out the drain hole to the side of it?

Did you also check the drain holes in the door were clear?

To test, secure a strip of paper along the door just under the inner panel then run plenty of water down the outside window. See if the paper stays dry. I would expect the lower rubber to be wet in normal use anyway.

Hi thanks for the detailed reply . I have sorted out the pollen fillter cover as it was not fitted correctly and the drain hole for it is clear this seems to have fixed the passanger side front water problem out . The rear is still leaking had the door card off again to check for leaks around the the metal door panel and have stripped all of the plastics from inside so I could see what is going on but I can't see a drop coming if after putting about 50 L of water on Window seals and all round the door and the pollen fillter and I still can see any droplets of water any where but the is still water getting into the passanger side rear footwell some how . So today I have cut some holes in the rubber covering the drain holes in the door and also noticed that the rubber what has the cables running in it for the door where it goes into the chassis /body of the car and the door there was a few droplets of water dripping down the edge of the door where hinges are feom that rubber so have sealed both sides up as I thought it may be leaking in there and running down behind where the passanger seat belt is causing the rear footwell to be wet has any one herd of this before ? .

Many thanks

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
Never heard of water getting in from the door cable access.

When I did my pollen filter I also removed the filter housing and found the seal under it had perished, just as the door seals do. Like the doors, I took away all old seal and redid it with mastic beading and sat the housing back on that. On replacing the cover the original skirt had warped too much and was a pig to get back in right. I had some epdm rubber sheet and used that to replace it.

As a thought, have you checked underneath the car that all your rubber bungs/access covers are still in place?

Last edited:

Will_s87

Apr 22, 2015
staffy-cher
Took my door card out the other day and the speaker covers were all perished and snapped (pics to follow)
Can I order replacements anywhere?

Kind Regards
Will.

hammiegt

Nov 3, 2015
water on door seals

so after reading quite a bit on this thread, to confirm, if I have water sitting on my door seals [all doors] after rain etc, I need to strip the doors and reseal them, the carpets appear dry, but car does get quite misty so there must be some damp in there somewhere, when you open the door, sometimes it runs on to carpet and sometimes runs off and down the sill
cheers hammie

jamie 225

Nov 5, 2015
Just went to get my sons jacket that he left in the rear footwell and it's soaked both rear footwells are wet so I need to find out where the water is coming in now only had the car 2weeks so I'm new to this make and model mk1 Leon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Just went to get my sons jacket that he left in the rear footwell and it's soaked both rear footwells are wet so I need to find out where the water is coming in now only had the car 2weeks so I'm new to this make and model mk1 Leon.

I'd just reseal all 4 doors as shown in the guide, that should sort it.

Marv-95

Dec 30, 2010
Southampton, Hampshire
I know people say Sealant isn't a permanent fix but its been a year now and still dry. I used shower sealant for the bathroom and it has done the job. That's all I care about. I checked my carpets today and still dry - if they are ever get wet again I will just do it again and another 3yrs down the line do it again. The butyl strip losses its integrity over time as well so....

Ps. you don't need to seal the top of the filter (gap) just seal the bottom of the filter. That is the priority.

jamie 225

Nov 5, 2015
Think that's what I will do too lol but need to check the pollen filter first mines got water in both rear footwells and driver side front.

Marv-95

Dec 30, 2010
Southampton, Hampshire
When you look at my photos you will see the water after a 20mins hail storm. I had it front/rear passenger footwells. My drivers side was ok but there is a hole that needs sealing on drivers side which you could also do.

Take your time and read up on every thing - if you have any questions just post them on here or give me a shout. They are a great bunch always helpful. Good luck.

jamie 225

Nov 5, 2015
Cheers guys I will get to the bottom of it just don't like getting into my car at 5am and taken 10mins to clear lol
ec146c3fa6728268224328d291b53021.jpg

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.